Best 1080p/60fps image

Mozim

Hey, 

what camera currently shoots the best 1080p image at a higher than normal frame rate? 

I know that right now 4K and crazy low light shooting is all the rage, but for the stuff I shoot it's very important to slow down the footage every now and then. Right now I shoot with a Panasonic GH3 in 50fps. I'm happy with the results. I don't really see a point in picking up a GH4 because 4K only goes up to 30fps. 

So what's the best (affordable) option right now when you constantly need higher frame rates? Sony A7s @ 1080p/60fps? Samsung NX1 @ 1080p/120fps? Panasonic GH3/GH4/G6 at 1080p/60fps? 

Cheers!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey, 

what camera currently shoots the best 1080p image at a higher than normal frame rate? 

I know that right now 4K and crazy low light shooting is all the rage, but for the stuff I shoot it's very important to slow down the footage every now and then. Right now I shoot with a Panasonic GH3 in 50fps. I'm happy with the results. I don't really see a point in picking up a GH4 because 4K only goes up to 30fps. 

So what's the best (affordable) option right now when you constantly need higher frame rates? Sony A7s @ 1080p/60fps? Samsung NX1 @ 1080p/120fps? Panasonic GH3/GH4/G6 at 1080p/60fps? 

Cheers!

I couldn't tell you, but pretty sure the GH4 does 1080/96fps

Right now I shoot with a Panasonic GH3 in 50fps. I'm happy with the results.

I guess I don't understand the question. Are you asking if there's a better alternative to the GH3 for higher frame rate shooting?

If you're happy with the results, then what do you want out of a new camera..?

GH3/GH4 has not the best sensor sampling at fullhd. Sony RX10 or Sony A7s or some camcorder may have a little cleaner image in 1080/60P in a static clip. GH3 and especially GH4 has still the best codecs (less artefacts, 0-255) so the final result is very good, maybe the best after all.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Many do good 60p. Including your current one. Do you mean you need more for slower slowmotion? The A7s is not good at 120p, the GH4 is acceptable at 96p but the best super slow motion camera seems to be the NX1 which does very good looking 120p at 1080p. It looka better than the 96p on the GH4 in the tests I've seen.

If you don't need slower slowmotion, higher resolution and lowlight performance, stick to the GH3.

The 1080/60 footage I've shot with the A7s is beautiful, I'm really loving it. 

Shot the majority of this at 60FPS. Its pretty heavily graded but theres plenty of other examples out there. I'm liking it much more than the D750 60p footage, as its a little more flexible in post with more dynamic range. 

Have to disagree with you here.

D750 is noticeably sharper in slow mo (60p) 

D750 colors are much much better. Unless of course you're an expert, and spend hours and hours grading. Even so, I'll take Nikon/Canon for colors. Doesn't seem worth all the hassle on A7s unless you need high iso.

Still, thanks for posting this. Nice work.

Have to disagree with you here.

D750 is noticeably sharper in slow mo (60p) 

D750 colors are much much better. Unless of course you're an expert, and spend hours and hours grading. Even so, I'll take Nikon/Canon for colors. Doesn't seem worth all the hassle on A7s unless you need high iso.

Still, thanks for posting this. Nice work.

I can hardly find some work done by the D750, can you post or link something lafilm?

And `i don't mean the nikon ad's

Thanks, it would be nice.

The 1080/60 footage I've shot with the A7s is beautiful, I'm really loving it. 

Shot the majority of this at 60FPS. Its pretty heavily graded but theres plenty of other examples out there. I'm liking it much more than the D750 60p footage, as its a little more flexible in post with more dynamic range. 

How come its only on vimeo at 720p?

I find this video indicative on the quality of the d750  (make sure to view all these on youtube itself natively at 1080p)

sure, its a hard test, and it would be interesting to see how another camera would fair, but to me it doesn't scream 2015 level of advancement.  And the image is pretty soft and undetailed too.

The d810 is certainly sharper.  Though, how much is actual detail I dont know.

But it's not immune to artifacts either:

Though its better than the d800E if that means anything:

The Nikon D750, The Sony A7s, the Nikon d810...all cameras costing more than triple what a $500 GX7 goes for.  Just saying.  

The Lumix's IQ competes well too.  Not that those other cameras mentioned aren't nice pieces of gear, but that GX shooting exceptional 60p on the cheap is pretty sweet.

I just used the GX7 with that frame rate on a job last week and I'm using it again tomorrow.  Anyway, that's my testimonial.  Good luck!

Thanks for the replies!

I'm very happy with my GH3 but of course I'm curious to find out if there are better options. 

I'd pick up a 4K camera in a heartbeat if it was able to shoot 60fps, because that's what I need most of the time. But I'm hesitant to pick up a 4K camera because the quality between the 24/25fps footage and the slow motion-footage seems to be very different. For example the GH4 shoots fantastic 4K @ 24fps but the 96fps mode seems to be very soft, especially compared to the 4K footage. 

Any idea how the 120fps mode of the Samsung NX1 compares to the GH3 @ 60fps? If the quality is the same (or even better) plus the camera gives me the option to shoot 4K when I need it, then that'd be a major improvement. 

How do the Sony A7S and Nikon D750 compare to the GH3 in terms of resolution?