Sign in to follow this  
Wit

Zoom H5 or H6 best bet on completing audio kit? Wise or stupid?

I wanna complete my audio kit and wondering about the best bet to do it for the cheapest price and the lessest gear. Could you advise me?

My thoughts are: 

- I think it's is a wise idea to sometimes do two audio tracks separately as a one man band - just to be on the safe site - so need an extra recorder

- I wanna buy the H5 or H6 because I can add a shotgun mic to it which makes me also able to boom with it. http://www.bax-shop.nl/shotgun-/-richtmicrofoon/zoom-sgh-6-shotgun-microfoon-voor-zoom-h6-handheld-recorder/product-details.html

My kit now is :

- Rode shotgun microfoon 

- Rode lavalier
- Beachteck DXA-SLR Pro fieldmixer 
- Zoom H1 recorder used as a wireless broadcaster with Rode dasspeld 

- Samson G-Track (cardioïde) met PS01 pop filter (voice over) 

Wise or Stupid? 

Thank you for helping!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Ive just spent 2 months filming web videos for Zoom Corp , H5 , H6 and the new IQ6 for iphone which is superb.

I do like the H5 , Ive been using it alot recently , the audio is superb and the IQ6 is very useful just clip it on your iphone and it turns it into ahard disc recorder! - amazing and small to keep in your pocket with your phone.

I have the Zoom H6. It's good except for lousy preamps. Volume over 5 is very noisy. I bought this to be my preamps: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/615405-REG/ART_USBDUALPREPS_USB_Dual_Pre.html

Very good for price. Crisp, detailed and clean audio. H6 on volume 4 and the art preamp pumps up the sound to good levels.

But ofcourse you have to power the Art pre, forgot to mention that. I have the lanparte v-mount and battery to power my gear. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lanparte-V-mount-baterry-pinch-HDMI-splitter-Power-Supply-Adapter-V-Lock-DSLR-/370696262997?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item564f381555

I think the art pre can also be powered with 5v battery, but I've never tried that since i have the lanparte v mount

Can anyone recommend me a budget solution to two or more lavs feeding into wireless senders in the speaker's pockets and being received and maybe recorded by one device? Or maybe the receiver feeds into the input of a recorder like the h1.

I have an H4N that I attach to rods on my camera and feed to my A7s. If it's a simple interview, I usually just use the track straight from the A7s, but I have split levels recording on the H4N tracks in case someone pins or is too soft. Works great. Had a TEAC. Got rid of it because it was just too glitchy and the layout most user unfriendly.

Also have a Sennheiser G5 for wireless Lav that I patch into the Zoom. I try to go with my boom mic for interviews whenever possible - just sounds a whole lot better. For that I use a Rode Video Pro attached to a C Stand and a Rode mini boom. The rode mic has it's own shock mount. I use a ball mount on the end of the boom to position the mic. The Rode Video Mic Pro never ceases to impress me. Great sound. Great price. 

Anything more complicated I get a sound man.

Recently I got Shure VP83F shotgun mic with build-in recorder, this combo is much more convenient than shotgun + external audio recorder setup I used before.

Though if you are using multiple source then an audio recorder is a must anyway.

Wow, where did that come from?

This seems to have had almost no coverage, must be to do with the fact Rode sponsor almost every video blog!

Recently I got Shure VP83F shotgun mic with build-in recorder,

MMM I red this article today and it gives me enough reason not to buy it. http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php...

Ok is a H4N and a good mic for booming a better option. If so - which mic is good against  low price to use for booming?

I use this option. Thumbs up. Great thing about H4N it's so play school simple. So if you have to show someone else how to use it, it takes minutes.

I use a Sennheiser MKE 600 - Shotgun Microphone as well as two Sennheiser ew 112-p G3 wireless mics. To record I have the Zoom H6. I like that this zoom has actual dials for level control. Phantom, etc. No problem with audio quality. The little screen on it is not fantastic, but okay. Great battery life when using expensive AA. I went with the H6 because it has 4 XLR inputs. When I am running two wireless mics (which I do for some documentary work) I like to still have the shotgun as another source. So I need more than 2 XLR in puts for that situation.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Dennycranekirk
      Hi,
      I hail from Singapore and am looking to sell a minty Nikon 28-70mm F2.8. Yes, the "Bourne" lens. I fitted custom-made gears rings bought from Sean of Followfocus gears and they feel like a natural extension. Since I bought this lens a few years back mainly for video work, I didn't mind the autofocus motor not working (common 1st gen AFS issue) and got a pretty good discount. Now, this lens doesn't complement with my other lenses in terms of look and rotation - a nightmare to use 2 types as I will always get the direction wrong. I love the lens for what it does and the image it makes. For some reason, I can't seem to get anyone in my country interested in it (probably due to the autofocus) so I thought it might be ideal for someone willing to accept for what it is or is looking to get it rehoused.
      Take a look at the pictures and send me your offers (USD figures work too). If the number can also cover shipping overseas, I wouldn't mind going the extra mile to mail it. Thanks.

Oh yes, it comes with both original front and back caps and the original hood.

• By salim
      I have a new (never used, except to do an optical test on it against other lens) Contax Zeiss 28-85 f3.3-4 lens.  Lens has been sitting in it's original box, and packaging. Essentially brand new.
      I would grade it 10.  Only thing there might me mark from when I was taking a photo of it on my table, and I think I might have caused some discoloration on the paint marking on the body of the lens somewhere, I can't see it now, but I'm sure if I examine under bright light I might be able to spot it. 

I use to collect contax zeiss lenses I still have a few more left (message me if there is a specific lens you need and I might just have it and might want to sell it) this came from my collection. 

Message me if you want to see some photos of it. 

I like to get $300 for it .It's hard to find this lens in such a pristine condition anymore in US. Buyer pays shipping and Paypal fees. I'm "semorg" on eBay if you want to see my rating.  
    • By Stanislav Schubert
      LOMO (KMZ) cine zoom lens 16OPF12-1 10-100 mm f2.5, 
      for Russian professional 16 mm movie camera Kinor-16SX, can be used on digital cameras Micro 4/3 sensor: BMPCC, BMCC, GH4, GH5.
      Adapter Kinor-16SX to M4/3 included (new, made in Poland). 
      The price: $300+ shipping  or eBay price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/162592479415?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
      e-mail: [email protected]
      Very good condition. Lens clean and clear, mechanic parts and aperture is smooth worked, no scratch, no fungus. 
      Adapter for Micro 4/3 made in Poland, like new condition. 
      Lens specification:
      F=10-100 mm
      f2.5
      Made in USSR, 1987, KMZ factory (Krasnogorsk)
      Included: the lens, M4/3 adapter.
      Worldwide shipping

• By wotsisname
      Hi all, 
      I've sadly decided to part with my lovely Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Aspherical lens Leica M mount.
      I used it as my taking lens for my anamorphic adaptor because its so sharp.  (nearly perfect condition. Not 'as new', but almost - a TINY paint bash (size of a grain of salt) hence reduced price)   600
      Lumix adaptor M-mount / M43    (these seem to be selling new for over £200 now! This is in great condition)  90
      I'm also selling:
      Nikkor 20mm 3.5  - great vintage lens - lovely flares, if thats your kind of thing. They seem to be selling on eBay for close to 400. This one is in good condition. Some tiny cleaning scratches on front element and slight movement - hence reduced price - but good snap to the focus ring though. Its ai mount which fits on F mount.  250
      Nikkor Zoom 28-85 3.5-4.5 Top condition - but a very common lens - prices to sell 100
      Will sell all inclusive for  £940. Chance to get a bargain.
      Other adaptors, if you're interested: 

M42-M4/3 - free 

B4 - M4/3 - they're selling for between 120-150 on eBay - mine 80 - again, priced to sell. 

I have used all these lenses on my Sony a7s, and previously a Panasonic GH3 to great effect. 
      Jules

• By AaronChicago
      Quite a unique lens. From Frank Glencairn:
      "The 28-70 f:2.6 AF was Angenieux’s last consumer oriented zoom, that was targeted towards the pro market. The lens was just as good optically as any other pro zoom lens of the time either by Nikon or Canon. Unfortunately, its price was also on par with the best of the competition, which made it a tough sale. Later on when Angenieux pulled out of the SLR market, Tokina managed to get usage rights to the Angenieux design and produce the AT-X PRO AF 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 lens."
      Great condition. I do not have the original box.
      $350

http://imgur.com/a/3TK7u