Samsung NX1 H265 vs converted H264

Dee Joslin

I captured a screenshot of side by side NX1 files. The one on the left is the H265 file being played by VLC. The right, the H264 conversion played with Quicktime. In the conversion, some of the color and detail are lost. You can see it in the VLC VLC version as well.

post-35773-0-97233400-1417906446_thumb.ppost-35773-0-97233400-1417906446_thumb.p

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've read that the DCI 4k from the Samsung NX1 is not as sharp as the UHD 4k. However, further testing shows some interesting results. The picture that's linked shows a sharper VLC image for sure. Curious if it's just a conversion issue, not a camera issue. Look at the table, tree leaves and flowers in the lower right. 

I'll have to do some extensive testing with VLC and Quicktime. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cameramanhd/sets/72157647314080513/

Also, PotPlayer on the PC looks similar to the VLC rendition. PotPlayer also has many controls for video control. VLC tends to over saturate but even reducing the saturation there is still more detail in the video playback on VLC and PotPlayer of the H265 file over the converted file playback. At least that's how it looks to me.