Kickstarter fps1000 high-speed camera upgraded - 220fps 4K Super 35mm for £2750

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
fps1000 slow-mo camera

Recently I backed the fps1000 high speed camera on Kickstarter, choosing the £1000 Platinum version with 1" sensor. Its UK-based creator Graham Rowan says the camera will get a 4K Super 35mm sensor option in 2015. The existing camera has also been improved considerably since the initial plans, with numerous stretch goals being applied.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Geez, I wish camera companies would stop using the CMV12000. Unfortunately, at present there seems to be nothing better. If any sensor manufacturer is listening, we need a >4K global-shutter, ISO 2000 sensor with >14 stops of dynamic range and negligible fixed-pattern noise.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

That dreaded CMV12000, I think that 90% of camera users really hate having max 200/400 ISO, fixed pattern noise and black sun spots. And I also think they would definitely prefer having better lowlight performance, clean shadows and no white issues in return for a little rolling shutter, like the Alexa, Dragon, F5/FS7 all have a little rolling shutter, and their sensors are much prefered by most people.

I am never buying a camera with that sensor, BMP4K, Ursa, Cion, Axiom, or now s35 Fps1000. Put the 2.5k BM in them and I'll be interested again, at least it does very well in lowlight, has a wider DR, and has no fixed pattern noise. It grades beautifully.

• Administrators

Geez, I wish camera companies would stop using the CMV12000. Unfortunately, at present there seems to be nothing better. If any sensor manufacturer is listening, we need a >4K global-shutter, ISO 2000 sensor with >14 stops of dynamic range and negligible fixed-pattern noise.

So the Sony F55 then.

• Administrators

I am never buying a camera with that sensor, BMP4K, Ursa, Cion, Axiom, or now s35 Fps1000. Put the 2.5k BM in them and I'll be interested again, at least it does very well in lowlight, has a wider DR, and has no fixed pattern noise. It grades beautifully.

It doesn't do slow-mo, but yeah go ahead and put it in a high speed camera! Great logic that!

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

It doesn't do slow-mo, but yeah go ahead and put it in a high speed camera! Great logic that!

What do you mean? There's no logic in it if that specific sensor in the 2.5k BM can't capture work at a higher speed.

Do you have information on that specific sensor maximum frame rate? I don't.

Yet another manufacturer using the micro four thirds mount!

I'm almost starting to lose track of how many camera manufacturers there are now with cameras in the pipeline with a micro four thirds mount! :-D

(Panasonic, Olympus, Kodak, JVC, Blackmagic Design, apertus°, and now.... fps1000 too! And that is just the camera manufacturers, many many more accessories/lenses/etc manufacturers too)

As I've often said m4/3 is the most robust and best camera system, it has so much more support behind it than any other mount.

What do you mean? There's no logic in it if that specific sensor in the 2.5k BM can't capture work at a higher speed.

Do you have information on that specific sensor maximum frame rate? I don't.

That 2.5k sensor is capable to do 100fps. Pretty near from 220fps but good enough for me. But still, that has black sun spots too.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Wow I would definitely buy a 2.5k 100fps - 1080p 200fps camera with the lovely BM sensor. In fact, the 2.5K BM is a very tempting option now that I seem to always ignore for some reason even though it produces one of the nicest filmic images out there up to any price point, including Alexa and Red and C300. The sensor has a huge 13 stops of DR, lowlight performance shockingly similar to a 5D-ish camera, and it has no fixed pattern noise or ugly shadows, and it's still 2.5k so gives the reframing advantage, and the camera now after the firmware updates is a very capable piece of kit with no quirks. In fact, I might buy one, it's so damn cheap for what it is.

That was out of topic, but I just wish they'd use that 2.5k sensor in a future high speed camera instead of the dreaded CMV12000. Perhaps they will have a better implementation than BM, no FPN, better lowlight noise reduction, no black sun, etc. Hopeful. Glad a new company is making affordable high speed options. Wish they had any watchable footage though, this sample looks like it has a fatal mistake in the shooting or workflow.