Torn between 3 lovers; GH4/A7S/NX1

Hitfabryk

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I got the GH4 as I knew it'd work nicely via a Speedbooster with my EF lenses. Had it a few days and used it a few times already and love it.

A7S was just that bit too expensive (double what I paid for the GH4) and I don't like the colours I've seen off it. NX1 I really like the look of, but no Speedbooster available for it to work properly with EF lenses, so that sort of made my mind up.

Guest 560a4aedcb80685284629074497fdc75

I have been asking myself the same question for a while and finally went for the GH4. Couldn't be happier. You know when you get something and it just feels right? Panasonic really do know how to make cameras for filmmakers.

I think the image quality between the three is all give and take - none are clearly superior. But in terms of loving using the camera, the GH4 appears to be well in the lead. It was the 10-bit out option that sealed the deal for me though. 10-bit 422 out option + 4K in a beautifully designed video camera for £900? Incredible really.  :wub:

All great choises with their unique strenghts and weaknesses.

size of lenses = some what GH4 (smallest possible lenses) combined size + weight

low light - Sony

Most future proof 4k / best quality in good light is - perhaps Samsung. then again can you acchieve that at decent enought level with Samsung lenses? is some what a question mark.. the samsung "proper lenses" have nott been tested at dxo. even tho like Andrew test seems to show that CA might not be that much of an issue.

Both mft and sony platforms are speculated / known to be getting interesting technological options later down the road. Sony A7000 (perhaps with 4k output)  A9/A7RII GH5, Olympus EM5-II / EM6 even tho those cameras may not end up beeing video specific unil GH5. Samsungs platform evolution past NX1 is even more ellusive question mark.

I'm personally learning with GH2 and G6 for now. During the spring I will likely invest into a cheaper GH4 or something else.

Do what I do .. learn with cheap camera.  get lights now from ebay. etc .. LEARN .. perhaps buy used or cheaper GH4 later. I sense this upcoming spring time will be soper hot competition between all brands. Even Canon will likely release a FF mirrorless.

Depends on what you want to use it for of course, but if you have lenses for GH4, that out of the gate would be a great advantage...

While A7S is fantastic for low light video, it requires an external recorder to do 4K, so add up that camera, a recorder and lenses.....

If I started fresh, the Samsung looks mighty tempting too, but still not convinced about their lens line-up, and I believe speed-boosters are out of the question for the NX1?

Guest 560a4aedcb80685284629074497fdc75

NX1 doesn't really need a speed booster (compared to a GH4 at least) because it has an APS-C sensor and is a bit better in low light (a little less noise). Adapters without glass are available and presumably will become more so.

I'm not convinced by the advantages of the NX1 over the GH4 though - worse rolling shutter, worse dynamic range, unsupported codec, less video features, no 10-bit out, less lenses, less online community support (GH4 is massive) ... it all adds up. Unless you really like the colours of the Samsung in comparison to the GH4, I can't see any compelling reason to go with it. The GH4 is cheaper now too. If you've been happy with Panasonic the GH4 will be an absolute treat of an upgrade.

Maybe it is best to wait few days/weeks and see what will new GH4 firmware update bring to the table. There were some rumors about V-log profile.

Also new GH4 4K Photo mode with different aspect ratios for anamorphic shooting is quite a tempting feature that other two contenders don't have.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Torn between GH4/NX1/A7s: Who isn't? :)

I am waiting for a scientific colour test between the A7s and and any other well-known camera before going for an A7s. The lowlight performance and Fullframe sensor really do it for me. Just those damn weird looking colours...

Maybe it's also a good idea to put the Nikon D750 on the list.

It's not easy to find some footage of the D750, I can hardly find anything? "is there somebody out there?"

To give the full insight: I already have a EM1 with a 45mm 1.8, the 25mm 1.8, 14mm 2.5 & some old 55mm FD 1.2.  and 28mm 2.8 glass. I love it but….you know.. the codec

And a GM1 with the 12-32mm.

I also love to take picture's

:wub:  

If I should sell the EM1 and keep the lenses for the GM1 and buy a NX1or A7S or Gh4 mmm same #$%^&*() Luxery problem!

On the NX1 you could use the FD lenses and whatever fullframe glass you have. The nikon only takes nikon glass. But if you are keeping all the m43 lenses anyway, the gh4 seems like a nobrainer. Only using the gm1 is also an option, and use the money from the omd1 on something nice in the future. If you had a lot of nikon stuff the d750 could be a nice option because it's a great stills camera and the video is ok.

• Administrators

If you don't need 4K, get the A7S. You can always add it later with Shogun. Though form factor isn't ideal.

If you need clean ISO 3200 and above, A7S.

If you need full frame look to lenses, A7S. It's more important for wide angle stuff than it is for mid-range, close-up or telephoto shooting.

If you prefer to have the resolution of 4K and the absolute best internal recording quality in good light, with the best colour - NX1. It is truly lovely.

If you want the extra features of the GH4 and you have the lenses to match, then still consider it but on balance I now prefer the NX1.

If you need a Super 35mm sensor to match your lenses, (PL for instance) NX1 will give you that and 4K internal whereas A7S won't.

On the NX1 you could use the FD lenses and whatever fullframe glass you have. The nikon only takes nikon glass. But if you are keeping all the m43 lenses anyway, the gh4 seems like a nobrainer. Only using the gm1 is also an option, and use the money from the omd1 on something nice in the future. If you had a lot of nikon stuff the d750 could be a nice option because it's a great stills camera and the video is ok.

Some good ideas,

But only the GM1..mmm.. I was thinking and sometimes already using it as a second cam.

I do a lot of band filming in my studio (www.hitafbryk.nl) so I can place it above drums or in front of a vocalist..

For the first cam.. I will need a new one or continue with the EM1, but like I said, it has a great stabilization but poor codec..

If you don't need 4K, get the A7S. You can always add it later with Shogun. Though form factor isn't ideal.

If you need clean ISO 3200 and above, A7S.

If you need full frame look to lenses, A7S. It's more important for wide angle stuff than it is for mid-range, close-up or telephoto shooting.

If you prefer to have the resolution of 4K and the absolute best internal recording quality in good light, with the best colour - NX1. It is truly lovely.

If you want the extra features of the GH4 and you have the lenses to match, then still consider it but on balance I now prefer the NX1.

If you need a Super 35mm sensor to match your lenses, (PL for instance) NX1 will give you that and 4K internal whereas A7S won't.

Thanks Andrew,

A7S or NX1 now I only feel 'Torn between two lovers" just like in the song :)

I don't have super 35mm lenses only a few FD lenses the .. 55mm1.2 and a 28mm 2.8 

The more wider lenses I could put on my GM! and maybe use this old lenses for the NX1 and 

be with that cam a little closer to the artist. Or maybe it's also nice to have a samsung lens..

also for the pic's.

Andrew, not long ago you made a video clip in a studio presenting the intro with the LX100.

Beautiful song by the way. This is the kind of work I am also doing or trying to do..