Super Slow Motion with normal camera possible?

Wit

I'm working on a shot where something gets binned but in super slowmotion.

The thing that gets binned will see it's life in a backlash so the binning thing should be really slow.

Over this bin-shot I will overlay shots of it's life backflashing.

I have a Panasonic GH3 with highest FPS 50 and I'm working in Final Cut X.

How can I slow things really down suitable for this shot while filming 

and while editing (bring the speed down)?

Is it enough or do I need more editing tricks? 

Or is it impossible to do with the gear I have now wanting good quality footage?

Thanxs!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'd suggest you "do the maths" for your answer. Understanding why or why not the effect you're attempting is practical is also critical for understanding how motion picture capture is created (aka: "good quality footage") in a more generic sense.

Now, that said, if you shoot your ultra slow mo shots in a very particular way, you can effectively simulate the illusion of superslowmo with a post production plugin such as twixtor.

But...you HAVE to comprehend completely how that plugin does what it does too, and why, for good results.

Bottom line, you got some studying to do. Good luck

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

-Shoot with a high shutter speed. More than 1/250s or so. 
-Shoot at 50/60p then turn it to 24/25p in post. This will give you 2x slowmotion.

If that's not enough speed:

-Google: Twixtor

I'd suggest you "do the maths" for your answer. Understanding why or why not the effect you're attempting is practical ....

Bottom line, you got some studying to do. Good luck

Part of my study was to ask a question here.
I know I have to work with my shuterspeeds and FPS. I already studied this.

But I was hoping for something more from people who already found out over here.

I'm sorry but if you're only answer with an attitude - please don't answer at all ;-(

Hardware approach:

Depending on what the project is, I'd consider renting an FS700 for that shot. It has good high frame rate modes. Check Philip Blooms slow motion shots in his review at 240 fps and 480 fps: http://philipbloom.net/2012/05/25/240brighton/

Depending on what kind of shot you need to use, and your budget, keep in mind that the latest Gopro Hero 4 also can shoot at 120 fps, although there's a bit of antialiasing & moiré going on there in the image. There's also a few compact cameras with 720p at 120fps like Sony RX100 III and Panasonic LX7. The LX7 is an older model and can be had pretty cheaply.

Software approach, Twixtor and other similar tools:

Twixtor often shows artefacts which aren't too beautiful, yet if you use it right the result can be impressive. Worst cases I've seen is when it's used around water, like surfing shots. The water looks odd, gets added artificial movements. Sometimes the bodies and clothing of people get twisted. I guess it's possible to find ways to hide some of these artefacts depending on how you overlay footage on the shot.

If it is a project where the budget should be kept low, I'd personally try to see how I could make the shot at 50/60p to optimize it for use with Twixtor. I've seen Twixtor footage without artefacts, so it's possible if you know how to avoid everything that can produce artefacts. That's where I think there's a lot of trial and error included, since I've seen a lot of Twixtor footage out there that has the classical artefacts.

if you're only answer with an attitude - please don't answer at all

What attitude?  You have to know this stuff and admitting you might be ignorant about some stuff is no big deal.  My ignorance is astounding.  

As you mentioned, you're probably going to use 50fps because that's what your camera is capable of.  I'm guessing you can't really accomplish what you want to do all in camera at that frame rate, and the "why" about it is a big answer.

If you decide to use a different camera have you considered what you'll have to do about exposure at high frame rate?  Are you shooting indoors or outdoors?  Day or night?  Is HMI rental a possibility?    

Regarding software solutions, you have to shoot in a very very particular way so you can make something akin to super slow mo via Twixtor or something similar.  Twixtor is not a magic plug-in that invents moments in time that never existed on the footage --so you have to shoot your subject under very narrow guidelines in order to make it work in a somewhat useful way.  The limitations of the plug-in might make your shoot impractical.  Only you can decide if that plug-in will work for you  that 'kuz we don't know what you have in mind.

I've shot slow-mo productions on the FS700.  If you need to rent something cheap, that might be your best best.  Still, maybe 240fps is still too fast for you?  The faster frame rates the fs700 does is cool, but the resolution is pretty bad when you push the rates high.  Does that matter or can you live with a softer image?

This film is for charity - no budget.

I downloaded Twixtor but I didn't registrate. Do I have to buy Twixtor before it works?

Its in my FCPX but I can't fold out the menu .

Also when I ramp up my shutter speed the images are getting rally dark even with additional lightning.

How do you guys solve this? 

when I ramp up my shutter speed the images are getting rally dark even with additional lightning.

How do you guys solve this? 

As I said, there's alot of fundamental information about how all this knowledge ties together.  It's not that most of us are unwilling to try to explain stuff, but there's an essential foundation and grasp of basic theory you'll need before you can successfully implement practice.

And typing ALL that out would be near impossible in an abbreviated way.  Although I'm sure you'll get help here on this forum.

As I can tell from your questions, you don't really understand the nature of light and camera exposure.  So, to go from the basics of grasping that --to the comprehension of applied practice on an impressive special effects shot is a long haul, but if you're willing you should definitely give it a try!

Trying and failing is one of the best educations.

Here's a real simple start explaining some basics:  http://wolfcrow.com/blog/understanding-camera-shutters-and-the-shutter-angle/

If that GoPro software is free, I'd suggest you try that first.

Ok thanxs!

I understand a bit of lightning but not the full facts. A year ago I already red about the shutter and I comprehend this. But in practice not yet.  How can anybody get good lighted shots at 1/4000 for slowmotion when my camera shows only pitch black wit added spotlights 2.4 and 50p? I really don't understand.

I

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

You don't shoot at 1/4000 unless you have litterally tons of lights AND in broad daylight. 1/4000 is not needed anyway at all for slow-motion. We just use a higher shutter speed than normal when doing slowmotion because we want to get a well-defined motion as opposed to motion blur, motion blur doesn't look good when slowed down as you can see it very clearly. Having no motion blur is better, and it also makes it easier for software like Twixtor to interpolate frames, makes its job easier and gives better results than having motion blur.

So use something like 1/125 or 1/250 and you will get a good sharp movement with no motion blur and still good exposure.

Great - I gonna practice today with the GH3 and the GoPro. If it doesn't work I will fake it. In Motion graphics or with a fishing line/green screen ;-0

One last question should I pay for Twixtor? 

I downloaded Twixtor but I didn't registrate. Do I have to buy Twixtor before it works?

Its in my FCPX but I can't fold out the menu .

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I think it works in a limited way so you could try it first then decide before buying. With a watermark on the final output or limited resolution or so.

Just shot tomorrow first at 60p, 1/200-ish shutter, and ISO/aperture as the exposure/dof require.

Take that 60p footage into you editor and put it on a 25/24p timeline and render as 24/25p. The final footage will be half normal speed. If it looks good enough, stop here.

If it's not enough and you still need slower slowmotion, take the same footage and start experimenting with Twixtor. Find a Youtube toturial or so it's not hard to use at all. If you find you like the results but it then.