Buying the Black Magic URSA 4K for wildlife stock footage?

oferlevy

Hi all,

I consider getting a video camera in order to get wildlife footage for stock footage libraries.

I use Canon long telephoto lenses  like the Canon 800 f5.6 L IS, Canon 300 f2.8 L IS,  Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS and more.

I will always use it using a tripod.

I need to highest possible quality and as 'future proof' as possible.

Ignoring the weight - is this the best 4K camera under 10 grand when it comes to image quality?

Thanks for your input.

Ofer Levy

http://www.oferlevyphotography.com

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I shoot remote places from time to time.  I'd place mobility of gear at a premium to catch wildlife as one has to scramble (quietly) to get into position.

So, I'd lean to any new mirrorless 4K cam.  The Samsung looks interesting.

After all, the unofficial motto of National Geographic shooters getting accomplished shots is: "f8 and be there."  I'd trust their insight.  A great shot is all for naught if you're not good enough or flexible enough to capture it.

Now, if you just want the best pixel peeping product, that's another story... http://philipbloom.net/2013/10/10/4kraw/

Thanks for the input guys!

I am not an expert but I am sure that comparing the GH4 and the Blackmagic design URSA is like comparing apples and oranges when it comes to image quality.

Do the URSA and cinema production camera 4K share the same sensor so can expect the same image quality from the BMCP 4K ?

The main advantages of the Ursa is in the raw workflow and the connectivity and handling. The GH4 is still pretty capable but doesn't have the flexibility that a raw workflow provides. I still think in this case you really need to think about logistics - it will play a big role in your shoots.

Oh, and I don't think they share sensors. BMCC uses a 4/3 sensor while the Ursa uses a S35 sensor.

The Blackmagic production cam and the URSA have the same sensor and will have pretty identical pictures, so there's no real reason to buy an URSA.

The CION also uses the same sensor, but had different internals so will look a bit different.

I imagine The FS7 will be able to get similar images without needing the raw workflow and with better ergo, but is also on the more expensive end.

I like the Ursa because 80% of my work is for digital compositing, mainly green screen shots and obviously under studio conditions, and the Ursa is a great for just take of the bag, put on a tripod and turn on.

The Blackmagic production camera also can work but the Ursa is a more complete package for not much more but with much more weight.