[VIDEO] Top cinematographers discuss modern cinema

mtheory

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thats terrible, 40 minutes discussion and what !!!!!!!!! 1 minutes about 4k and high resolution............. all the rest of the 39 minutes about lighting, composition, framing, colours, styling.... Pffff bunch of amateurs, didn't they here about the latest Panasonic 4k wonders that you can put in your pocket or Sony cameras that don't any more lighting because you can shoot at 100 000 ISO.

Here's a previous roundtable from 2013.

At the 20 minute mark, the cinematographer of Amelie talks about his first experience going from film to digital with Alexa. It's interesting that he complains about the low light sensitivity and needing less lights...it really does seem the transition to digital didn't just disrupt the medium, but the craftsmanship as well...being a digital DOP really does require a different set of lighting skills than a film DOP. And with the new Varicam35 having a base ISO of 5000, seems the new way is here to stay.

I think some of the dynamic range discussion was telling, where it seems some of the negativity comes from the fact they feel they lose ownership. They don't want someone changing the look a few years down the road. I can understand that argument, just like painters wouldn't be happy if someone used some chemical to brighten up a painting. However, being an amateur a-z guy, I would find it very useful to shoot it to the best of my ability, and then have a chance to try different approaches in post and find a look that in the end I like the best. I guess I don't have the confidence of these guys that I do it right the first time :)