Samsung NX1 - which is 4K video and which is the 28MP raw still? Can you tell?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

nx1-A-702x394.jpg

All will be revealed tomorrow.

Until now have your guess on the forum.

I am using a special grading technique here for the first time which is giving beautiful results on the NX1. There will be a full blog post about this when the result is revealed.

Camera settings were all on default. Picture profile turned off. Sharpening on default level for video and in Adobe Camera Raw for the still. Video was shot in 3840 x 2160 Ultra HD mode at 25p and the still in raw at 28MP. H.265 video converted to ProRes LT then graded in Premiere. Raw still graded in Photoshop (Adobe Camera Raw).

Focus point is on colour 28.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

'A' looks like RAW to me, but it has 294,566 colors to 'B's 326,664.  There's either a contrast/saturation difference or if B is video, the extra colors are noise.

It's really difficult to do this kind of comparison because in a properly exposed image it will end up in the gamut our monitors can show, so the relative difference between each color will be the same.  

Anyway, my final vote is A as RAW, the labels, the texture of the page, the bar-code on up-left, are cleaner, more detailed in the right way.

Guest 560a4aedcb80685284629074497fdc75

Why do you think that? :)

Just the feel of the images really, but because of the watercolour chart you can literally see that B has more colours. More dynamic range by the looks of it too. The dead giveaway though is the large flat white area on the tube to the far left of the frame. In image A it has very visible banding, in B it's hard to find any at all. So either the NX1 has amazing video and awful raw stills, or I'm right.

I hope I'm right.  :unsure:

I bet everyone who picks A for raw also thinks the A7S has great colours.  :P

'A' looks like RAW to me, but it has 294,566 colors to 'B's 326,664. 

That's cheating Max!!!

A looks clearer and way sharper and has no chromatic aberation.

B looks considerably softer and has huge CA around letters.

Umm, A for RAW I guess.

If I don't maximise them to the 4k monitor I'd prefer the B. But at 4k it looks like very average still from video and A looks much better.

Look at colours 37 and 31 in image A (reds, 2nd line down). They look like almost the same colour, yes?

Now compare them in image B. I think that is what you call bit depth, yes?

@Matt, those who can't do, cheat ;)  I didn't go to count the colors, I saw a button that said "Count Colors" in FastStone so I thought, why not?  Made it harder for me because not what I expected!  I'm starting to see some vids on Vimeo where the NX1 seems to have better DR, or better feel, than any GH4 footage I've seen. THAT'S WHAT I'M DYING to see Andrew look into.  For me, RAW-like DR is still the Siren song.  

@vesku, I noticed that too.  Camera shake?

A looks better than B.

The first 4K samples that were available (the one of the chamaleon) showed a lot of color bleeding and less resolution on the video files (after resizing the jpg to 4K), so the downsampling from 6K to 4K isn't that great. Your samples seem to show something similar. But it still looks pretty good.

Maybe it was just the betafirmware and A is video, lets see.

Hm, substantially different color signatures between the two images. I'm not going to cheat by delving into any kind of technical analysis tools on the images.

Some observations: A is warmer, higher contrast, with significantly deeper blue hues. At the same time, A seems to be crushing colors, visible in both the blue and red hues. A is noticeably sharper than B even viewed at 1080p; zoom in to see that color fringing in B is hurting sharpness quite a bit.  Also take a look at the shadow tones - something is off in A, almost some kind of green veiling noisy thing. Zoom in and you'll discover macro blocking in the shadows.

My guess? B is the raw image. Better gradation in the colors is my primary motivation for saying so, but the color fringing suggests uncorrected raw CA to me that the processor is dealing with in the graded video image. I also suspect that the green tinge in the shadows is being introduced by the video grading. My first instinct was to pick A for its visibly better sharpness, but that's a mistake as we don't know what the CA correction and sharpening settings are at, and video is more likely to be sharpened than a raw conversion. More subjectively, A just feels like an Andrew Reid color grade with the slight warmth and the shadow tone contrast. B feels like an ACR conversion, with the understated color tones, well preserved gradations, clean shadow tones, and clinically perfect white balance.

Going to feel pretty silly if I'm wrong.

I would also suggest A to be video and B the RAW picture.

Why? Because of the noise in the darker areas of both pictures.

B has more uniform distributed noise just like I would expect it from a RAW picture.

A has in my opinion more inconsistent noise due to compression of the video file and in some places I think I can even see compression artifacts.

Quite honestly I think all you "A is raw" people must be colourblind!!! :P  I'll put down my video camera for a year if B isn't raw (or at least sell my GH4 and buy an NX1).