GO shot with A7s and D5200

mojo43

Guest 560a4aedcb80685284629074497fdc75

Thanks. Most of it is D5200. Just the intro is shot with A7s... Is that Brandon stealing my footage again? Just kidding.. not it's all my shots. Just similar footage.

Wow you've really got a great image out of the Nikon. It's such a great camera. I'm glad it wasn't the A7S, but I plan on selling my D5300 to help pay for my new GH4 ... so now you've made me slightly regret my decision in another way!

Did I read you say somewhere Brandon helped with the editing?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great video, very effective and eye catching shots flow so smoothly together. Great Job! 

Would you share what sort of sound effect library have you used or would you recommend any?

Thanks Martin. A lot of it comes from foley sounds that i recorded on my own or from the original recorded sound, but I also used freesound.org as well as some other libraries from soundsnap etc... Most sounds can be found on freesound, but sometimes it's just easier to record it yourself. For example:  the footstep sounds I recorded my hands in a bowl of uncooked rice.  Haha...

LOL, I have been discussing a lot about colour science lately and this video shows it, the only place I did not like the colours where with the A7s. Unfortunately the hype machine has gone wild with the low light spec and not very usable 3200 ISO slog, unfortunately you cannot measure colour science, if else Nikon would have geeks to hype it. Look at my camera CSI (colour science index) of X, aaahhhhhh yours is only Y dude...

"The last two days I was looking for an answer to the question - can anyone make clear image on the a7s?Your grading is great...How did you do such pure tones,natural colors ?Only now I understand that it is possible,but how???!!!??!?!?!?All footage looks like on canon DSLRs...but with more dynamic range..."

This is the best quote from the vimeo page, sums it up really about the A7s colour...

Great to see the 5200 being used so well.

I shoot all my videos on two D5200's and couldn't be happier.

Focusing them is easy, even with G lenses because you can use autofocus to nail the focus which is then retained when you press the record button.

You need manual lenses for follow focus though, and then you use the brilliant AI-S lenses.

I've been using the 28mm F2.8 AI-S CRC lens for some still life photography lately and it is superb. Amazing lens for a low price (compared to the equivalent G lens).

5200's are going very cheaply now. They are a bargain.

Really lovely.  Atmosphere, framing, editing, and sound design.  Love the sound mix at 1'56".  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Pipkato

"The last two days I was looking for an answer to the question - can anyone make clear image on the a7s?Your grading is great...How did you do such pure tones,natural colors ?Only now I understand that it is possible,but how???!!!??!?!?!?All footage looks like on canon DSLRs...but with more dynamic range..."

This is the best quote from the vimeo page, sums it up really about the A7s colour...

Seriously, I think people are too worried about colour science in this or that camera. Everyone has been shooting and posting slog footage and most likely without the proper colour conversions done to them. That is misleading people into thinking that there is something wrong with the A7s colours. The D5200 is a great camera and has great colours, but a lot of what was in this video was pushed into the shots in post. Same goes with the A7s shots. Just thought that I would mention this because I think people are over obsessing about it. Just my opinion though :)

Great work, both camera and edit

Seriously, I think people are too worried about colour science in this or that camera. Everyone has been shooting and posting slog footage and most likely without the proper colour conversions done to them. That is misleading people into thinking that there is something wrong with the A7s colours. The D5200 is a great camera and has great colours, but a lot of what was in this video was pushed into the shots in post. Same goes with the A7s shots. Just thought that I would mention this because I think people are over obsessing about it. Just my opinion though :)

This is so true - and sorry to mention this on your thread but DanYELLLL please give it a rest on your Nikon v A7s obsessive diatribe, you've been copy and pasting the same angry little rant on every forum there is over and over again for months now.....................

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

but I plan on selling my D5300 to help pay for my new GH4 ...

Don't. Keep the D5300 for shooting people. Much better than the GH4. Shoot landscapes and detailed scenes on the GH4 and lowlight/people on the D5300, a great combo. You'll miss the D5300 so much if you only had a GH4. I tried doing it and just couldn't. Since I mostly shoot people and don't shoot landscapes, I in fact felt going from the D5300 to a GH4 was a downgrade, many would disagree but, at least don't sell the D5300 until you've used both enough to see how you like the GH4.

MOJO: Everytime you post something I know it's beautiful. Your framing and colouring are really beautiful. Nikon should use this for advertising the D5300!

I am not putting down your work which is very nice or choice of camera but for me colour is one of the most important thing. 

I didn't think you were putting down the video. I understand what you are getting at.

All I was saying is that people seem to be basing their opinions on tests where they authors probably didn't do the correct colour conversion before grading from slog (and therefore has a cast). I am not saying that the a7s is for you and maybe the colour science isn't to your taste. Maybe so... 

But.. I shot with Nikon for a while now and now an a7s. I am pretty sure I can get the same colours out of both of them.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

But.. I shot with Nikon for a while now and now an a7s. I am pretty sure I can get the same colours out of both of them.

If you could do a little test and prove this you will have done a great favour to the community. I am in the same position an Danyl in not liking any footage out of the A7s in terms of colour, it's uncanny how the only shots I thought didn't look great in your video turned out to be shot on the A7s while everything else I thought looked fantastic colour-wise.

It can definitely be either user error or camera error, so we really need a colour test between the A7s and any well known camera.

If you could do a little test and prove this you will have done a great favour to the community. I am in the same position an Danyl in not liking any footage out of the A7s in terms of colour, it's uncanny how the only shots I thought didn't look great in your video turned out to be shot on the A7s while everything else I thought looked fantastic colour-wise.

It can definitely be either user error or camera error, so we really need a colour test between the A7s and any well known camera.

Sure, I am shooting in Cuba in two weeks and will post some footage from that afterwards. Maybe I am wrong.. we will see :)

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

You can do a very simple easy test, something like shooting someone's face with the two cameras under constant lighting. That would tell us a lot on how they handle skin colour. One shot in S-log2 and one in a standard baked-in profile, because I do have doubts it's S-log2 where users are screwing up. We would be very grateful.

Again you are very talented and it's just a lovely video you made there. I can watch it all day!

Guest 560a4aedcb80685284629074497fdc75

Don't. Keep the D5300 for shooting people. Much better than the GH4. Shoot landscapes and detailed scenes on the GH4 and lowlight/people on the D5300, a great combo. You'll miss the D5300 so much if you only had a GH4. I tried doing it and just couldn't. Since I mostly shoot people and don't shoot landscapes, I in fact felt going from the D5300 to a GH4 was a downgrade, many would disagree but, at least don't sell the D5300 until you've used both enough to see how you like the GH4.

MOJO: Everytime you post something I know it's beautiful. Your framing and colouring are really beautiful. Nikon should use this for advertising the D5300!

I know what you are saying only too well, and agree with you, but I've made the decision now. I'd love to keep the D5300 but I can't afford to. I will try to hang on to it for a little while though, as you suggest, and may get around to posting a few tests. I am genuinely liking the colours from the GH4. I have a speed booster and lots of fast Nikon manual primes, and have just ordered a Tiffen HDTV/FX filter (similar to Ultra Contrast) which I think works wonders on the over-sharp, low DR Panasonic image. Once I have a Ninja Star, colour won't be a problem at all and it also helps a lot with low light quality (finer noise, less macro blocking, stronger colours). 

The fact is as much as I LOVE the image from the D5300 I was hardly using it. As you say it's best with people in low light and I'm just not shooting in that situation very much. I have stopped using it during the day because I don't like the colours so much in sunlight, and the softness was beginning to bother me. I was basically only using the Nikon when I knew I could have shallow DOF and artificial light. The G6 is so much sharper and I prefer the colours in sunlight (or at least they grade just as well). The Nikon really is a lot harder to use than the G6 too.

But the D5300 is going to be hard to give up - most of my favourite shots are from that camera. Hmmm, maybe you have a point  :)