The FM lounge (Discussion of anything not related to FM price and discount)

Cosimo murgolo

• Administrators

A normal customer gets his information before buying the FM, they don't just wake up and buy the stuff, you as professional should have been informed more than a normal customer.

I didn't have the time to read the 16 page thread on something I didn't yet even own.

Although I did mention I'd be using it with my Kowa 8Z in just about every email to you, with not a single correction from you until after it arrived.

Bloody hell, it's on your blog and you don't know nothing about it, even my kid knows that the FM works straight out the box with the schneider cinelux  and the Isco Ultra Star.

And as late as the 30th Jan was ready to "dust it off" on your advice...

We thought that you as a professional filmmaker wouldn't had any problem to get the right anamorphic to work straight away with the FM, that's all.

Not very nice to blame me for being unprofessional and for not having the right anamorphic to fit it.

You were supposed to send the FM with the Cinelux, which is what I was expecting to review... pretty impossible otherwise.

That's what you said would happen!

I haven't treated your blog as a market.

The blog certainly isn't a market, although sometimes it feels like one.

​Mindaugas at the Anamorphic Shop is first to admit the project has benefited from this forum and my members...

Yet you still cannot find within yourselves the gratitude to properly inform me, to not mislead me, or even to send me the proper kit so that the review is not impossible.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Using the Vizelex ND Throttle (Lens Adapter with build in variable ND) will change the character of the Lensflares.

First image plain Adapter (Nikon G to M43) Second image with Vizelex ND Throttle.

Both at f2,8. Vizelex @ minimum setting will take at least on stop, compensated here with shutter speed adjustment. 

Plain_Adapter.jpg

Vizelex_ND_Throttle.jpg

I was also planning on using the FM with my Kowa B&H (which they promised to be compatible) - only to find out at the very end that it won't work. Luckily I waited until after the first batch received theirs, otherwise I would've missed that.

To be fair I think it was just shitty organisation and testing on their part, rather than deliberately misleading - but in any case I won't be ordering a FM any time soon.

Wow so much drama people, chillout. Everyone has different views, getting angry at each other won't help anyone. 

Well I had much scepticism with the FM before I bought it because it was only a prototype product and the company wasn't being exactly clear on how to use it etc. However, the important thing is, it is of some use for budget end filmmakers like me who can't afford single focusing anamorphics. I find it definitely helps me quickly get shots when I'm out shooting because of the single focus. It's still got a lot of quirks but to the right people it is valuable. 

Anyway back on track, did a little test, getting shots have become much quicker since I can single focus with the FM now. This is a relevantly cheap setup as I got the takumar for about $70(US), Isco Ultra star for about $400, FM was about $750.

Pentax Super Takumar 50mm 1.4, Isco Ultra Star Anamorphic Lens, Focus Module Lens, Panasonic GH4, Natural Picture Profile with all settings dialed down, Simple color grade in Premiere, BGM : Bic Runga 'Listening for the Weather'

The quality is superb. Maybe even better than when using the FM + Cinelux with regular primes. Employing the actual backing projector lenses just makes everything gel together beautifully. The look is more than a match for any vintage anamorphic prime lens. You'd be hard-pressed to get better sharpness with a Lomo or Cineovision, especially at T2.

I wish that FM would actually go and make an anamorphic element specifically for the module, as well as a line of backing lenses. Make a complete system.

​Made with the FM

Delta Airlines commissioned this piece to help celebrate the spirit of aviation, all the details here:

http://boydhobbs.com/delta

​Wow this is just awesome.  Definitely inspiring and I'm glad he blogged about the entire process.  This is a great system when used in this fashion.  More set pieces rather than run-and-gun.  And just a greet feel to the footage!

I wish that FM would actually go and make an anamorphic element specifically for the module, as well as a line of backing lenses. Make a complete system.

I mentioned this on Facebook about making taking lenses, since they wouldn't to focus, just adjust aperture, and Anamorphic Shop chimed in and said they are working on it.

I mentioned this on Facebook about making taking lenses, since they wouldn't to focus, just adjust aperture, and Anamorphic Shop chimed in and said they are working on it.

​That's great to hear. In the distant future I hope that FM evolves into a system like the old NipponScope design. A single anamorphic group with the focus ring and a selection of taking lenses with the iris ring, and a hard locking mount in between.

• 2 weeks later...

That's how it should be, so you did it ok, sometimes you need to adjust the anamorphic lens just a tiny bit before infinity, but if you've obtained good results you don't need to adjust anything else. Enjoy!!!!

If you have more question join the FM lounge on Facebook here https://www.facebook.com/groups/514311352043955/

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but the thread is a little bit too lengthy to skim through all the way.

If the barrel of the FM is 71mm in diameter, does this mean that my Sankor 16F, that is slightly slimmer than its cousins (the focus ring is just under 70mm from what I've measured) can fit the module without modification?