The FM lounge (Discussion of anything not related to FM price and discount)

Cosimo murgolo

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

How well does it work with the edelkrone??

​Not great to be honest - as the edelkrone only clamps to one 15mm rod, so the heavy torque of the FM focus helicoid tends to push the alignment off unless the Edelkrone is seriously cranked down on it's locking lever.

A follow focus with regular duel rod clamp would work better - i'll dig out my other FF to give that a try soon.

When not using a follow focus, having a solid chunky focus gear feels better in the hand anyway - allows smoother pulls and further range, having that larger diameter.

I guess my question is why the need for the metal tube at all??? If the smaller anamorphics go inside the tube, couldn't you just clamp to the anamorphic instead?  Sorry for the basic questions.

​The FM lens clamps itself to the cinelux type lenses via tiny grub screws - then the rear of the cinelux body is clamped to the large ring clamp.

When not using a Cinelux - the tube acts as a proxy cinelux, allowing an alternative (smaller) anamorphic lens to take it's place. 

Here is a reminder of how it all fits together...imagine the cinelux is a hollow aluminium tube with a smaller anamorphic lens inside - then it should make sense: https://vimeo.com/105787520

Oh OK....So make smaller anas fit, you're gonna HAVE to screw through the metal tube and clamp the ana to that in first, THEN attach to FM?   Starting to make sense.

​Cosimo did a nice job by drilling the mounting tube - then inserting nylon screws to make it a clamp smaller anamorphics (again, info is in this thread a few pages back).

I however can pack my Kowa B&H into the tube (after taking kowa's focus ring off) and simply tape it in centered to the FM mounting tube.

I'll probably make a video on how that is done soon, as the principle is the same for any smaller anamorphic lens that people may want to use within the FM lens.

​Cosimo did a nice job by drilling the mounting tube - then inserting nylon screws to make it a clamp smaller anamorphics (again, info is in this thread a few pages back).

I however can pack my Kowa B&H into the tube (after taking kowa's focus ring off) and simply tape it in centered to the FM mounting tube.

I'll probably make a video on how that is done soon, as the principle is the same for any smaller anamorphic lens that people may want to use within the FM lens.

​i'd definitely appreciate it!  thanks for all of your help

trying to install my FM tonight. my unit doesn't seem to rotate (no focus spin) ?  at the end where it meets the taking lens, there are 4 screw thingies but they're extremely tiny (the included hex key doesn't fit) and according to the installation video, there should be two sets.  I think something is stuck?  Did anyone else have this problem?  

trying to install my FM tonight. my unit doesn't seem to rotate (no focus spin) ?  at the end where it meets the taking lens, there are 4 screw thingies but they're extremely tiny (the included hex key doesn't fit) and according to the installation video, there should be two sets.  I think something is stuck?  Did anyone else have this problem?  

​Sounds like the wrong holes.

take your thumb and finger and pinch the back lip of the FM lens opening and twist counter-clockwise. It sounds like the helicoid is wound closed (normal for shipping).

When the lens turns it will extend to reveal the 4 hex screws that you use to clamp onto the cinelux body or mounting tube.

This a quick video showing you all how I did fit the Sankor 16D, the Isco animex s8/2x and proskar.

It’s my first video tutorial so forgive me if it’s not done in a proper way. 

I hope this will help you out, and I am sure someone will do a better job than I did, I just wanted to show you the idea behind all this.

I just want you to remember that the FM will work best with all those anamorphic lens that fit 70,5mm to 71 diameter tube and have a length of at least 10 to 12cm as the inner tube of the FM is 89mm long. The end part of your anamorphic lens has to stick out in order to get close to the taking lens. If the diameter of the anamorphic is less than what has been mentioned above but has the proper length there is a workaround with the need of a metal tube that comes with the FM, like I am showing you in the video  If you need to know more do not hesitate to ask, I will be happy to help you out if I can. This is one of the advantages of the FM , you can really stick in any vintage anamorphic lenses, but they need to have those dimensions. This is the main reason I chose to work with the FM. People still did not realize the potential of this, you can swap vintage anamorphic lenses and achieve different look and have single focus of course. Now the sankor among the other 2 anamorphic I fitted is the longest one and sat very well inside the FM,  touching the optic of the FM,  the Isco animex and the proskar are a bit too short and they do not touch completely the optic of the FM  there is approximately 1 cm still to go but they do work fine.

I will post some video with both anamorphic to show you that even if they do not touch the optic of the FM they still work fine.

https://vimeo.com/117484987

​Sounds like the wrong holes.

take your thumb and finger and pinch the back lip of the FM lens opening and twist counter-clockwise. It sounds like the helicoid is wound closed (normal for shipping).

When the lens turns it will extend to reveal the 4 hex screws that you use to clamp onto the cinelux body or mounting tube.

​exactly what was needed, thanks!

Has nobody tried it with the Proskar-16 anamorphic yet?

Just a quick video test to show the FM with the Proskar, some of the shots have been taken during the day between f8 and f11 without an ND filter, that's why you see some vignetting. I am aware of that the Proskar is not 100% aligned.

Just a quick video to show the FM with the Proskar, some of the shots have been taken during the day between f8 and f11 without an ND filter, that's why you see some vignetting. I am aware of that the Proskar is not 100% alig

Focus gear update!

RafCamera has just confirmed to me that he will from now on supply his FM focus gear with the internal diameter bored out by an additional 0.1mm

This will allow the gear to be fitted on and off much more smoothly - without it being such a super tight fit.

It seems that my initial measurements were correct, but did not fully take into account the friction caused by the knurled aluminium finish on the FM body.

Gear available here: http://rafcamera.com/en/accessories/ff-gears/gear-fm-lens-88-107-32mm

FM_GEAR.thumb.jpg.0b1c6f529341534dd4f07d

FM GEAR 3.jpg

not getting anything sharp with a nikkor 85mm @ 1.4 , but things may not be aligned particularly well. There seems to be a low of "glow" as well. Also have quite a bit of glass stacked. Might take the UV filter off either the 85mm or the FM.  Also might try things without the speed booster.

​You will need to stop down - f/4 is generally where things get clean, especially when on full frame. 

Still loads of bokeh at f/4 IMHO, and about the right depth of field on 85mm + x2 anamorphic for plenty of selective focus.