The FM lounge (Discussion of anything not related to FM price and discount)

Cosimo murgolo

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Correct...you could get a 105mm reversing ring to give a female thread up front to attach filters, but it does seem to make more sense to locate ND's in front of the taking lens.

Thinking about it, if a Vari ND or CPL was upfront - the rotation when focusing would cause highlights and reflections to be altered by turning, so Vari ND location on taking lens is the only way it seems. (unless fixed inside a rail mounted mattebox using a filter tray adapter)

I keep forgetting this darn lens rotates.

hmmm interesting thanks for the info.  Just sucks that i'll have to move the anamorphic further away from the taking lens glass.

hmmm interesting thanks for the info.  Just sucks that i'll have to move the anamorphic further away from the taking lens glass.

It's all good, a Vari ND should not be too thick to cause issues...and the Cinelux in particular seems to benefit from using a tighter lens (85/100mm + on full frame), as it's edge warp distortion is reduced - which will mean that taking lens proximity is not as critical to avoid vignette. Kowa will be the same but with no warp edges to worry about shooting through.

A tighter lens when outside is much more interesting IMHO, especially when using 2x anamorphic.

Follow focus is gonna be a real challenge for this lens. The travel distance is humongous. Custom gear ring might be the only real solution here. Currently rigged up with the 50 Dollar Follow Focus from Hondo Garage. Hoped that this would aid in the long throw. Unfortunately, it takes multiple go rounds to go from minimum to infinity. I'll do some tinkering and see if I can't get it to work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4opfj8ysdudxvf/Photo%20Dec%2008%2C%205%2008%2005%20PM.jpg?dl=0