The FM lounge (Discussion of anything not related to FM price and discount)

Cosimo murgolo

Please respect the topic:

1) do not discuss about  FM price, FM shipment, FM discount list, FM warranty or any economical stuff related to FM.

2) play nice to everyone, don't fight over stupid things,  help anyone in need of advice on taking lens or anamorphic related to FM.

3)Share your experiences and videos with the FM, advice on hardware stuff related to FM.

Everyone is welcome , professional and non professional.

I would love moderators to keep an eye on the discussions and feel free to delete what is not related to FM.

Be constructive and don't be afraid to share your doubt.

Thanks everyone!!!!!!

Enjoy!!!!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

ok here we go again another thread on the FM Module.

MOD: lets keep this nice and friendly - no personal attacks on anyone will be tollerated this time.

This time I hope it's going to be more useful and constructive to everyone.

Andy you are welcome  to share your  professional experiences whenever you like there is no need to say that of course.

I hope people realize that everyone can learn from the other and we as human need each others help to grow up in life. 

Thanks!

I'm very excited about this lens.  Only recently have I been seeing optical characteristics from my iscorama that I feel could be better.  The cinelux does this - it;s drastically sharper than the isco 36 from edge to edge on full frame it would appear.  ````so focusing it with this unit should deliver maybe one of the sharpest anamorphic systems available. - assuming they didnt get the two front elements drastically wrong!

One of the primary concerns i see is the rotating front element.  @hans-Punk mentioned earlier in a previous topic that he is intending on fitting a uv filter straight away - since any coating damage or build up of grease can show up during focus pulls where flaring might be present. - the flares change during focusing creating a rather distracting look.  Not a horrific problem but would have been really nice if that front element didnt rotate.  

I also agree (based on my experience using the iscorama 36 (with a rotating front optic) that it might be wise to use a UV filter, regularly changing them as they get dirty, to limit the amount of contact the front optic has with pollen, stray fingers or other contaminations that can make contact with that big front optic face.

I was really pleased to see they included a focus scale on the unit - something the original prototype we've seen previously didnt show.

I am personally trying to locate a suitable short anamorphic that can sit intio the unit and allow the taking lens to also sit into the fm module barrel.  this will be a great way to shorten the total length.   

I am personally trying to locate a suitable short anamorphic that can sit into the unit and allow the taking lens to also sit into the fm module barrel.  this will be a great way to shorten the total length.   

This sound great Rich, everything has to fit in 89mm, my shortest combination reaches 120mm, what if you need to tweak the aperture on  the taking lens though? only curious!

When i get mine I plan to test it out with all three of my lenses, and see if my Eiki 16f will be able to do wide angle stuff and still fit inside and work with the FM lens.

Other than that I plan to do some sharpness testing, speed of the focus ring, recommendation, and then some personal thoughts on anamorphic.

When i get mine I plan to test it out with all three of my lenses, and see if my Eiki 16f will be able to do wide angle stuff and still fit inside and work with the FM lens.

Other than that I plan to do some sharpness testing, speed of the focus ring, recommendation, and then some personal thoughts on anamorphic.

lovely!!!! looking forward to see the results

I'm very excited about this lens.  Only recently have I been seeing optical characteristics from my iscorama that I feel could be better.  The cinelux does this - it;s drastically sharper than the isco 36 from edge to edge on full frame it would appear.  ````so focusing it with this unit should deliver maybe one of the sharpest anamorphic systems available. - assuming they didnt get the two front elements drastically wrong!

My Isco Ultrastar is also sharper edge to edge than the Isco 36. LOTS of resolution! And from what I've been able to judge on sample shots - it seems like the cinelux resolves far more than the Ultrastar. And Andy keeps on calling the cinelux the "king", and I guess he's tried a few :)

My Isco Ultrastar is also sharper edge to edge than the Isco 36. LOTS of resolution! And from what I've been able to judge on sample shots - it seems like the cinelux resolves far more than the Ultrastar. And Andy keeps on calling the cinelux the "king", and I guess he's tried a few :)

yes, I am astounded by the cineluxes I've been testing.  85mm f1.4 no sweat on full frame.  As i said on a previous topic, the lack of multiple elements of these modern lenses (only 2 elements in the cinelux) are going to seriously limit the amount of character the cinelux imparts on the image - we wont see magic like you see from the old Panavision or Todd-AO lenses as used in Apocalypse Now.  

I've been considering some approaches to increase the number of elements in the optical path to promote more internal face to face reflections and thus impart those much loved looks - glowing ovals during flaring, etc.

My first thought was to install a UV filter on both the front face of the cinelux installed directly inside the FM unit, and another on the back of the cinelux between the cinelus and the taking lens.  Sourcing vintage UV filters will be a good move since they will have been subjected to use, not to mention glass choice may be better quality - Borosilicate rather than window glass!

obviously the approach will reduce light transmission slightly, but will likely promote some glass face interactions and more flaring.

EDIT: Sorry!

Technical stuff: 65mm close focus is equal to just under 25.6 inches. Thats under a yard in length, so if you have a Rokinon 85mm like I do, it will actually increase the minimum close focus of your taking lens! Or so I hope. That is another thing I will have to test. The Rokinon only goes to 1 meter in front of the lens. Plus points! That means when you calibrate it, you don't have to bother fiddling with the lens, since the fellas at anamorphic shop say you need to set your anamorphic to infinity, taking lens to 1 meter, and then it should be good to go. So on the Rokinon, it should just be sliding it all the way to the right. Talk about easy setup!

Lets see, more Technical stuff...

They say its multicoated, so thats nice! Wonder how it will effect the flares.

Richg101, could you post some 36mp samples with a 85 1.4?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a86l8cq9vzio1gn/AACpiLt-1sPRWSie1nWFR9zRa?dl=0

6 shots.  just jpg's.  full frame 36mpx.  

first 3 images show centre performance at:-

f1.4, f2. and f2.8

the final 3 images also show f1.4, f2 and f2.8

chart was approximately 2.5mtrs away.  No focus adjustment between the centre and the corner sharpness shots

flare isnt aligned since I had to tape the cinelux to the planar due to not having a suitable step ring to hand.