5DIII RAW Video Vs S-Log2 from A7s

Nicolas MAILLET

This is my video - thanks for posting it!

My experience to date:

Using Magic Lantern on the 5Diii has been an amazing experience. Iv'e been working with vintage lenses - the iscorama plus DSO and Leica R as well as the nikon e series 50mm 1.8. I can use the Nikon 50mm on the FF with the iscorama without vignetting.

The combination of the color space and the mixture of the digital sensor with the vintage glass has given me a cinematic quality I love. Using Magic Lantern takes some patience and it has some risks, but if image quality is the priority it pays off. I use Raw Magic, convert to Cinema DNG, do a first pass color correction in DaVinci and edit in FCP X. It doesn't seem to me to be a difficult work flow. I've found that using the BMD rather than Rec 709 color space is more work for grading but gives me better resolution and less grain in low light shots. We shot this video in 4 days and we got stuck doing a segment at night and pushed the camera. Something like the A7s would have made a difference I think, but so far neither the GH4 or the A7s have tempted me away from the Raw capabilities I have now. I'm not finding the extra resolution trumps the dynamic range and the color science. It would be nice to lose the element of suspense ;) in shooting, and some of the ease of ergonomics is very attractive. But I can wait for a bit. I'm concentrating for now on my skills working with a rig both handheld and tripod. After some time on this a lighter camera may get more attractive!

There's a blog post at www.tonidove.com/blog  behind the scenes on making the music video. 

• 4 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi guys !!!

Some news about the next Alpha 7s on the NAB @ Las Vegas ?

I'm ready to buy the A7s if there is no successor at NAB...

From what i can see the picture with the A7s is really more pleasing to my eyes... Even if my 5D mark III goes a bit further when pushing triggers on RAW... With the A7s (or successor...) i think i'll save space on my hard drives... and maybe time when editing the files...

What are the news ? Do you know something about Sony's new goodies @ NAB ?

Or, you actually need to grade properly, rather than put a single node on it, do a bit of a levels curve and call it a day. That's not really colour grading. Slog is a professional log gamma curve which needs a good grade. You don't hear anyone complaining that the Alexa is challenging to grade because you can't do it in a single node.

I'll be doing some side by side tests with the GH4 and A7s for an upcoming project in a couple weeks. I'll be interested to see the difference.

Personally, I find the colour out of any of the Blackmagic offerings much more unpleasant than what I get out of my A7s, and none of my skin tones have been green so far.

​Okay I have to say this, Alexa files look amazing straight out of camera. You don't need to grade it to fix the skin tones on every shot like you do with the A7s. Skin tone is the most important thing to a good image for narrative, and the A7s is terrible at it. It has amazing features, but this is a weakness.

Also, this does not just go for S-log, the other profiles have the weird skin tone as well. It's the "Sony Look" that I just don't like.

I have both and  I enjoy the 5dIII personally way more. RAW is great. A7s looks...weird color wise. It seems like it lacks hues. The best stuff I've shot have all been on the 5dIII, even the h264 versions. Everything I shoot on the A7s just tends to look slightly odd. Maybe it's just me?

I have both and  I enjoy the 5dIII personally way more. RAW is great. A7s looks...weird color wise. It seems like it lacks hues. The best stuff I've shot have all been on the 5dIII, even the h264 versions. Everything I shoot on the A7s just tends to look slightly odd. Maybe it's just me?

​Do you have samples to propose to show differences between the two ? Not so much direct comparatives on the web...

​Okay I have to say this, Alexa files look amazing straight out of camera. You don't need to grade it to fix the skin tones on every shot like you do with the A7s. Skin tone is the most important thing to a good image for narrative, and the A7s is terrible at it. It has amazing features, but this is a weakness.​

Do they? I've rarely seen Log-C footage that I would say looks 'amazing' straight out of camera. After being graded - yes. With a REC709 or other LUT - yes.

I have no problem with the skin tone on my A7s.

Do others? Obviously. Not really sure why, but they do. But I'm also not a huge fan of the often super orange skin tones that come out of Canon DSLRs whilst others here seem to hold it up as the 'holy grail' of skin tones...

Like i said i've already seen some footages from A7s well graded with no weird skin tones. Maybe it's tougher to get great results with this body when the Log flattens everything to keep big dynamic ?

Being a colorist is a job. Knowhow & knowledge.

What i think also is that with Log you have high iso and the filters you put in front of your glass can pollute the colors no ?