All i want for Christmas is you! (heliopan)

Christina Ava

Hi co-forumites,

what are you getting this christmas? I have been looking and looking again at this filter

This Heliopan 77mm Digital Glass Filter has been specially designed for digital cameras. It blocks ultra-violet radiation as well as IR rays. The result is improved color separation and reproduction with digital cameras. It is a necessity with artificial light for best digital results.

heliopan-digitalfilter.jpg

I have been thinking about getting it, it doesnt come cheap..but quality filters are a rarity

its 300 lollars at B&H

All the reviewers are speaking highly of it..

does anyone here have it? 

what do you think?

any german peeps?

love c.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

thats more like Cinegrain - lot cheaper $$$ lol lars -

if you really think you are having UV and IR issues ..try these ...

I dont forsee any UV and IR issue at the moment ...so I wont be !

its a bit 'Emperors New Clothes syndrome' these filters in my book -

I dont think they will make anyone a better cinematographer

just more glass hanging off the front = more light bouncing around

I always use the least amount of filters I can - Im not a fan

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I hardly believe putting something in front of the lens improves performance. Manufacturers would have created that element in the lens design. I am yet to use any kind of filter that doesn't affect image quality in some way, so I don't put anything if front of my lenses, only use NDs when absolutely needed as they're a neccessairy evil.

I wonder how these compare to say B+W that has filters with same qualities (UV + IR CUT). These are much more reasonably priced, and I may get one even if the benefits are marginal.

I would think filters like this have more value on older lenses (with less sophisticated design and coatings (if any))?

Dear Santa

this is what I really really want just cos looks nice rehoused ! (and its my favourite lens)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281453583979?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Well, we decided it was best to break it to our daughter that Santa isn't the one bringing presents. She is 10 and more and more of her friends started saying he doesn't exist. She was a bit shocked and quickly deducted there is no easter bunny or tooth fairy either.

I hope you are not similarly shocked ;)

BM cameras are the only ones that really benefit from a UV/IR cut filter, but 300 seems just a little bit steep price wise.

After much trial and error, by people with more cash than me, the BM crowd seemed to settle upon the recommendation of the Hoya UV/IR cut filter and it does the trick very well.

Not really sure about the benfits of using one with a DSLR, as they normally have the option of a WB shift in the menus & other things etc...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoya-77mm-Cut-Screw--Filter/dp/B006OIJTIG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1417027537&sr=8-5&keywords=hoya+uv%2Fir+cut+filter

Well, we decided it was best to break it to our daughter that Santa isn't the one bringing presents. She is 10 and more and more of her friends started saying he doesn't exist. She was a bit shocked and quickly deducted there is no easter bunny or tooth fairy either.

I hope you are not similarly shocked ;)

what ! he's not real ? :(

heliopan at least until recently was German manufactured glass of the highest quality (somehow zeiss affiliated)

i would never put hoya b&w or any other glass in front of my lenses i think most of these come out from the same factory in asia

the most important thing for me is after reading the review about the haze...that greyness

im looking around for it in ebay..

santa baby i ve been a good girl this year!

Finally no more blue or grey haze.

This product may seem expensive and the results may seem a little subltle, but this thing is worth every penney. I have tried several very high quality polarizars that worked great but they did not completely get rid of the slight haze you can get on very sunny days. (this was very annoying to me) IR blocking filters seem to be the best way to solve the problem. Excellent color sparation and NO haze! I have all Canon L lenses and would not put any less quality of a filter in front of the lens. Highly recommended, if you can afford it, if not, save up

And you'd break $300 on it without even seeing proof of that effect?

I don't believe in UV filters. IR is pointless, unless you are using a camera that is over-sensitive to IR, like the Leica M8.

Also, regarding Heliopan vs Hoya vs B&W etc. Check this:

http://www.lenstip.com/113.4-article-UV_filters_test_Description_of_the_results_and_summary.html

I'm not saying Heliopan is bad. But you can't just judge a filter on the brand name. It's hard to find really thorough reviews of this kinda stuff, but lenstip does this well.

thats more like Cinegrain - lot cheaper $$$ lol lars -

if you really think you are having UV and IR issues ..try these ...
I dont forsee any UV and IR issue at the moment ...so I wont be !

its a bit 'Emperors New Clothes syndrome' these filters in my book -
I dont think they will make anyone a better cinematographer

just more glass hanging off the front = more light bouncing around

I always use the least amount of filters I can - Im not a fan

True that! Like you and Ebrahim said, it's hard to imagine the need for such a filter, or UV filters in general, it's the evergoing debate, but I take your side in this matter. You throw on a filter if you're really cornered and need a quite drastic change made to your image in order to pull a shoot off. I doubt however that this 300 lollars filter will be as effective for what it's supposed to do as a ND or polarizer filter when you don't want to change shutterspeed/depth of field:(aperture)/ISO of lighting setup (if possible at all), but need to lower exposure or... you're shooting cars... or shooting through glass at the zoo. In these situations filters become more or less lifesavers that can save a shot... I doubt one cannot live without their fancy UV IR Digital filter by Heliopan. It's just not that essential, if you get a lousy Mediamarkt Hama one it might even degrade performance. So as long as you have no complaints, don't put schtuff in front of your lens!

I do have to say though, I'm always delighted when someone sends me their old lens and it comes with the UV filter they've been using it with. Does show me they care about keeping the lens in premo nick. So I'm somewhat of a hypocrit. :P

- Actually wanted to try that ND3/ND6 from the Kickstarter campaign, because there are quite a few people opposed to using variable ND's and it seems like a cool way to try out static ND filters, but they have regular filters too, should you want some lens protection and do not want a Hama filter, but also not spend 300 lollars.

Yeah, Caleb actually just released part II of his filter setup shootout/tips. Some gd stuff there.

~ http://dslrvideoshooter.com/filters-video-part-filter-types-uses/

~ http://dslrvideoshooter.com/filters-video-part-ii-matte-boxes-lens-accessories/

The option for the least amount of lollars actually looks pretty nifty with the magnetic pop-on and all.

a tip for your Nikon 28-70mm

I put a 72mm -77mm step down ring so I can use my set of Tiffen 72mm NDs on it

you dont need 77mm nds as micro 4/3 is just looking through the middle part of the lens / filter combo

77mm Tiffens are alot more expensive !!

same applies to the Tokina AT-X PRO 28-70mm f2.6-2.8

the Tokina also fits directlly into the end of a ARRI LM2 Mattebox

@ andy and the guys that oppose the filters

i can see how the uv/ir is useless to most of you, especially friends from the UK

the overcast skies offer that protection and its not needed, there is no better filter than the clouds

the light where i am living is very different, with the exception of 3 winter months, i cant leave my house without my tiffen vND

everything gets burned here below f4 for most of the day.

summer is a nightmare...from 13:00-16:00 the UV is off the charts

if you have the time check this interview from NAB for tiffen, icheck at 08:36 the  "ill fix it all in post"