Do you like to use cages with your small cameras(GH4) If yes, Why?

Lightlightlight

I have a follow focus that connects to rods via a nice manfrotto compatible base. This base has a 1/4 hole for a monitor arm. I have the hotshoe for my video mic pro or sennheiser wireless.

Why would I need/want a cage? I don't need a mattebox I use filters but screw on type.

I use a steadicam and a tripod/monopod.

The only thing I think I would gain from a Cage is the top handle. I don't know that I need a top handle.

Help a newbie understand. Why spend a fortune on hardware like this? What am I missing? They sure look great, but what utility will it add to my experience? Thanks all.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

A cage will make your camera more stable because it adds to the weight of the camera system. It also comes with a lot of 1/4" and 3/8" threats so you can mount a ton of stuff on it. For example you can add a monitor, an external mic, a top handle and an LED light all at the same time. Plus it might improve the ergonomics of your camera system. 

In your case, it doesn't sound like it would add utility to your experience but then again other people have other requirements. It's not like there's one best solution. 

They don't neccessarily have to cost a fortune though, there's some really good fairly cheap ones. 

Also, if you're looking for a top handle, there are ones that connect to your camera through the hot shoe mount of the camera. 

Well, nobody is forcing you to buy one.

But for someone not using a steadicam (all the time) and not wanting stationary shots (tripod/monopod), for handheld running around a cage could be a nice solution.

Also, it can be modular, so when you would not only benefit from a cage alone, but a shoulder rig as well, you can throw some rods under there and have at it.

Depends on your use really. If you have almost nothing to gain by owning one, then save yourself some bucks and leave it be. For others... it's a well worth investment.

I thought Wooden Camera stuff looked great (and what else you got, Lanparte, Vocas etc), but like you said, I'd rather not be spending a fortune on this?

So I managed to pick up one rather cheap myself (ABCRig by Ginirigs). For my silly needs just fine.

CdL3ygY.jpg

Help a newbie understand. Why spend a fortune on hardware like this? What am I missing? They sure look great, but what utility will it add to my experience? Thanks all.

You're right, don't spend a fortune on a rig and stuff until you know that you need it and what is it for. The cages you see are not bling, but if you doubt that you need one, you probably won't. There is no 'wrong' way to go, as long as you get the shots you want. The more you shoot, the more you'll know what you actually need. There is no shortage of gear to add to your 'rig.'