Samsung NX1 with Sigma 35mm F1.4

Andrew Reid

I'm pretty flabbergasted by peoples use of the word black in this thread.  Either it is being used EXTREAMLY loosely or people are using some shit over contrasty monitors.  In Andrews last screen shot for example there is nothing even approaching black.

Take this black level calibration image: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

My monitor isn't anything special but I can just about see level 4 and easily level 5.  Below this blend into the black background.  level 5 to me is therefore very dark grey.

If you look at Andrews last screen shot, and compare it to the test image there is nothing in that image that is lower than level 25 grey.

I created an image to show this but cant figure out how to upload the basard.   load them up into an image editor to check for yourself.

I would be interested to hear what people are seeing when they look at the black level test image.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

What they mean is dark areas with 0 detail not black black as in the exact colour point on a WFM. Andrew's video has a raised black point, approaching grey. It's just the grade, I think this look occurs when you add an S curve to the image crushing the black to pure black, then raising them to 4- IRE consistently. Anyway the flat profile example he posted above looks almost like a Log gamma, and the feel of the image and colours is truly interesting. Glad they allowed that level of profile customization to get a flat unsharpened image.

Guest 560a4aedcb80685284629074497fdc75

Have you downloaded the ungraded files Matt?

Do you mean the photos above or the video download link from your first review (I didn't realise that clip was ungraded)? I can't download the file from Wetransfer anymore. Maybe I'm missing something ...