Samsung NX1 with Sigma 35mm F1.4

Andrew Reid

looking to change my system.

how is the camera as far as rolling shutter! is it good for action video?  

will  the atomos  shugon will be able to transmit raw format feed from camera? is it 8 bit 10 bit or 12 bit. what type of color corrector to use? lens recommendation from Samsung for video.

type of memory card? speed ? rig system to add on my xlr recorder.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you are getting crushed blacks, it could be a display calibration difference between my display and yours.

Even if I regrade it, it is gonna look wrong for someone.

I'll do a proper dynamic range test vs the GH4 and A7S.

I don't expect it to beat either of them but it beats the GH4 for colour and it beats the A7S for resolution with internal recording.

Red areas have no detail. Must be the vimeo compression. Don't have time to download the file to verify.

R0X7h7U.jpg

0y2RTHX.jpg

O1P9jK6.jpg

axPxpjb.jpg

SAarblM.jpg

VYGkYHh.jpg

y0Ne6Hs.jpg

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

If it had 6 stops of DR and crushed 60% of the images to black everyone would have noticed it immediately. From the those who shot with it see the DR is pretty similar to the rivals gh4/nikon/canon. It's just the grade and exposure choice. I am sure if had used a minus contrast in the profile, didn't add a contrast curve in post and shot this at a higher exposure you would have got a bright image with shadow detail. He went for an under exposed overal look with standing out subjects, it's suitable for a horror piece, I think it does look pretty. Andrew likes blacky blacks and crushed lows, he is not a proponent of using flat gammas or grades. I my self like my image a bit on the lower side on contrast. Having a very stylized grade makes it very difficult to judge a camera's image quality in a neutral way and that's why I asked for a non graded Tiff.

Guest 560a4aedcb80685284629074497fdc75

I really think the colors are nice, however I don't know if this clip was graded or not.

The image is unbelievably detailed and doesn't look digitally sharpened. Colours are really, really nice too. But shadows here are noisy and really lacking in information. No wonder Andrew crushed them in his video.

I'm sure this video has been graded. The blue in the shadows is a giveaway - I've never seen any camera do that natively. 

The image is unbelievably detailed and doesn't look digitally sharpened. Colours are really, really nice too. But shadows here are noisy and really lacking in information. No wonder Andrew crushed them in his video.

I'm sure this video has been graded. The blue in the shadows is a giveaway - I've never seen any camera do that natively. 

Yep you're right about the blue in the shadows - its definitely suspect -.

About the amount of details, I also agree with that, it looks like plain resolution, not a sharpness effect. Thats what 4k should look like ! :) 

Interesting video, with a more "filmic" aspect (less contrast) but still contrasty and sharp. I think it was shot with the 16-50mm f2-2.8 lens.

I really think the colors are nice, however I don't know if this clip was graded or not.

I love the look of this video, I think the color and contrast are great. but there was some noise on the cats fur around 1:57.

It would be nice to know the settings this was shot on.

• Administrators

There's a lot more in the blacks than my grade served up. The quality of the image in the blacks isn't as good as say ProRes on a Blackmagic so yes that does limit dynamic range if you have to bring the lows into the mids with a brighter exposure, thus risking blowing your highlights out. However a lot depends on the conversion software you use. Wondershare crushes the blacks on default. I can make it produce a very flat image, but that hurts colour... a lot more to come on the workflow I think. It's a shame the Samsung software isn't better.

• Administrators

Here's how flat I can dial the NX1 using the custom picture profile. Pretty flat!

Plenty of info in the blacks there and not too noisy at ISO 1600 if you have a decent exposure like the one shown. If you don't then it does get very crushed and noisy down there.

nx1-flat.jpg