Samsung NX1 with Sigma 35mm F1.4

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

In my first shoot with the NX1 I only had the rather cheap and cheerful kit zoom on the camera. That doesn't go any faster than F3.5. I've since been buying adapters and have found the Sigma ART lenses to be a perfect match for the Samsung NX1 in 4K.

The video footage above was shot very quickly but it should give you an idea of just how superb the NX1's 4K video really is. Fantastic detail, colour and overall feel.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks Andrew for keeping testing the NX1 :) Your review is definitely the most interesting I have ran into. I also believe that the Samsung is definitely sharper or rather - more detailed than the GH4. 

However do you think you could do a dynamic range comparison ? Thanks again for sharing your opinion with us :) 

Very much thank you for the review. I skipped GH4 because of the many quirks. The Sony FS7 is hell very expensive, no Sony APS-C/FF cameras below 2000 with in-body 4K video. Today NX1 is really the best bang for the bucks, you are right (although you wrote "could be", which could mean anything). Sony seems to be trying to protect its high-end video camera products by avoiding 4K from affordable camera models. Maybe they have a deal with Atomos? I am not in a rush, and Sony is a serious player in videography whatever the others do.

Which is why we need more tests comparing both. I don't see any problem with having dark blacks. But we don't have enough materials yet to say which of this camera offers the best details in blacks. 

From what I have seen so far is that samsung seems to prefer offering a contrasty but clean image, where you have to work in camera to get what you want after. Also - imho - I think Samsung offers more interesting colors, which means easier work in post.

Whereas Panasonic started giving lots of tweaks in the gh4 (cine-d, master pedestal, curves) but with a codec breaking appart very quickly in post, and with a very mushy result most of the time (except when you just select cine-d and leave everything else to 0). But don't get me wrong, I love the Gh4 (happy owner of one and probably of a second one in a few weeks).

However in terms of details I think there is absolutely no hesitation. But details is just one part of the equation...!

I think that GH4 codec is not breaking. It is the noisy sensor which breaks down when digging curves too much. GH4 has so much curve adjustment range that I can get the same lightness of midtones at iso200 and iso1600. It is not looking very good though.

Is the Samsung image bad at contrast -10?

I wish they could unlock the HDMI to send 10bit 4:2:2 instead of the usual 8bit 4:2:0. Then it would stand a really good chance against the GH4 when the Shogun comes out. Internal H.265 is the next step for these consumer oriented cameras, no question about it, but having a better quality option for external capture is just awesome. I hope more more manufacturers will follow Panasonic next year.

">

In my first shoot with the NX1 I only had the rather cheap and cheerful kit zoom on the camera. That doesn't go any faster than F3.5. I've since been buying adapters and have found the Sigma ART lenses to be a perfect match for the Samsung NX1 in 4K.

The video footage above was shot very quickly but it should give you an idea of just how superb the NX1's 4K video really is. Fantastic detail, colour and overall feel.

Read the full article here

I think that GH4 codec is not breaking. It is the noisy sensor which breaks down when digging curves too much. GH4 has so much curve adjustment range that I can get the same lightness of midtones at iso200 and iso1600. It is not looking very good though.

Is the Samsung image bad at contrast -10?

I think the Atomos Shogun will be a good test to see how a H264 from the internal GH4 compares to prores in terms of color grading. I also agree with you that the sensor is too noisy. It takes a lot of practice to make use of the potential dynamic range without getting weird highlights (as using ETTR) or noisy patterns in black areas. 

Also there are different kind of noises in the GH4. Some of the noise looks just like "grain" which is ok. But there are more greenysh noisy patterns which are horrible :/ 

IMHO too much contrast in the video makes it less usefull as a review samples. This "grading" hype is, again IMHO, destroying some lovely footage all over the internet. I stil can't see if NX1 is a good camera for color and latitude from the posted videos. Nevertheless, thank you for the footage.

Like any camera, it's aways best to test it in your own hands. The above quick video has far to much contrast and deep shadows for my taste, but it doesn't mean this is the camera - I'm sure it's a creative choice by Andrew.

I do see glimpses of the image which excites me, still, only user experience will determine if it's a suitable camera.

Guest 560a4aedcb80685284629074497fdc75

Colours look really great. Sharpness is amazing. Noise looks significantly better than GH4 for sure. And I love that S35 look. But yes, dynamic range - here - looks very low indeed.

How are the preamps and rolling shutter I wonder?

• Administrators

Ok I am officially impressed with teh NX1's image...look at those skin tones! 

Kudos to Samsung for getting their color science right. This image really "feels" good.

Yes it feels lovely. It's like a 1D C but with a modern codec, 1/6th of the file sizes, EVF, better ergonomics, flip-out screen, more adaptable lens mount, lighter and smaller, and only $10,000 cheaper.

Yet still people complain about the grading... because blacks happen to be black.  :D