GH-3 and Focus Assist

Moshimo Garcia

Hey guys,

Sorry I did a search on this topic, but I couldn't seem to find an answer. I've had my GH-3 for a week now [thanks for all the suggestions guys!], and I've really enjoyed using it so far one issue that I can't seem to figure out though is in relation to its focus assist.

I know the GH-3 doesn't have any peaking, but it does have two types of focus assist (turn the focus ring or the punch in quick fnc). I've experimented with both of them, but when I actually start live recording, neither option works.

Is there something that I'm missing here? 

Thanks for reading!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

In manual mode, focus assist is not available during recording, unfortunately.

If you have an AF lens (i.e. use a native m43/43 lens), you may be ok with just using auto focus, but turning off continuous auto focus. Then, during recording, it will only focus when you half press the shutter. Of course, this does not guarantee soft focus changes and even if you can use the screen to pick another focus point, it will hunt a bit when you half press the shutter afterwards.