The Next Big Indie Filmmaking Idea on Kickstarter: Lume Cube

sanveer

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1193685734/lume-cube-flash-and-video-light-for-gopro-iphone-a?ref=nav_search

post-17876-0-22259800-1416787224_thumb.j

Though the Switronix TorchLED Bolt seems like a great product, it's awfully expensive. Also, considering that it's impossible to make do with just one of those (it has to be softened down, and probably reflected off to get it as fill light apart from the spot light), it is not the right tool for Low Budget Indie Films (especially Shorts).

I saw this a few days ago, but, it's only now that I read the entire specs sheet. This is a Superb Idea for Indie Filmmakers. With 3 of more of these, you have Super Portable Lighting, which is controllable via your smartphone (both Android and iPhone). The brightness, and flash can both be synced via the phone, and you can control upto 5 of these devices via Single Device (phone). What's even more amazing is that it's water resistant, has a magnet, and some dirt cheap mounting options via Joby. I doubt whether it can get better than this. The Cherry on the cake, though, is that it has internaiton shipping. 

I think this would be superb, especially for smaller spaces. What do you guys think?

Check it out:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1193685734/lume-cube-flash-and-video-light-for-gopro-iphone-a?ref=nav_search

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

They look good if you're after a raw look (skating etc) but i think they're a little harsh for film use. Maybe they'd be nicer if shone through a flash diffuser and some warming gel

Could easily do that no problem. They would also be great for A7S users who want to mould the lighting better on a night scene. Also really good for using a Go Pro in low light - or just use it as a torch if you get lost on the moors! (you should always stay on the road as there are wolves!)  :D

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I think this is very cool. a few of these with a sensitive camera can replace a whole lighting set and allows making any look you want, small and cheap. This is future there. Don't give too much attention to the video promotion used (in selfies and direct lighting of a skateboard at night?) But no if they're made right and actually work you can get much more creative lighting from them.

+1 to international shipping! 

They look good if you're after a raw look (skating etc) but i think they're a little harsh for film use. Maybe they'd be nicer if shone through a flash diffuser and some warming gel

I kindda agree. But, they're tiny, and cheap. And the form factor makes it simple to diffuse. You could mount a few of these on portable softboxes, spots and (with mini barn doors) a decent hairlight. For Low Budget Filmmaking, this seems pretty ideal. 

I really love the idea of being able to adjust your lights while looking at your monitor. Bought two of them....

Seriously dude. And, upto 5 of them, from a single device (and individually adjust each light, separately via a single device). 

What I am curious about, right now though, is what is the throw of this light. Maybe I post it on their Kickstarter Forum and find out. 
If anyone else has any doubts that they have posted on their Kickstarter page, please post the same here, too. Thanks

I really love the idea of being able to adjust your lights while looking at your monitor. Bought two of them....

You mean like DMX...?

I'd like to know what their light output is/some photometrics. I don't mind the idea of 'modular' lighting, but I can't see myself using these. Potentially not enough output, too small (so inherently hard) - I could see myself ganging a few together and putting diffusion over them, but then it defeats the purpose.

There'll be some obscure cases, but I don't think it's the second coming of lighting equipment.

• 7 months later...

I think this is very cool. a few of these with a sensitive camera can replace a whole lighting set and allows making any look you want, small and cheap. This is future there. Don't give too much attention to the video promotion used (in selfies and direct lighting of a skateboard at night?) But no if they're made right and actually work you can get much more creative lighting from them.

+1 to international shipping! 

​I say this again, at This Price, and with These Features, and at This Size, this is the Future of Low Budget Indies. 

Imagine 1500 Lumens in this tiny size !!! Plus you can control upto 5 of these, from your smartphone.

They have improved the design, and placed the LEDs closer. I am guessing that improves the throw of the light too. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1193685734/lume-cube-flash-and-video-light-for-gopro-iphone-a/posts/1297669

How do I get my hands on one of these?

It was on Kickstarter. I was planning to pick up a few myself, but after I read an article on how a few of the most popular crowdfunding projects went bust (that Coffee Maker covered by the New York Times), I got hiccups, and didn't wanna invest money where I wasn't sure. I am kindda regretting it now. 

I guess Inazuma, you'll have to wait for it to hit retail stores. Probably in another 2-3 months or so. Hopefully. I'll be picking up quite a few myself . 

nice idea, but:

1. The iblazr doesn't appear to be anywhere near the Lume Cube in brightness. What exactly is the output? I couldn't seem to find it. 

2. It is a flash light for a Mobile phone. Doesn't seem to have continuous lighting. So very limited user compared to the Lume Cube. 

nice idea, but:

1. The iblazr doesn't appear to be anywhere near the Lume Cube in brightness. What exactly is the output? I couldn't seem to find it. 

2. It is a flash light for a Mobile phone. Doesn't seem to have continuous lighting. So very limited user compared to the Lume Cube. 

Sorry, but perhaps do a little more reading and a little less assuming?

1. It's mentioned that it's '150 Lux in Constant light mode [..] (up to 10X more than a smartphone video light)'. Lux is not Lumen, it's a fraction of the output, measured over a certain surface, whereas Lumen is the total output (obviously a higher value). So, can't say for sure how the apple compares to the orange. I assume like the Lume Cube you might want to be using two or even three together. Atleast though it's even possible to 'adjust the light color temperature from 3200K to 5600K', so you can mix it with ambient without a harsh mismatch.

2. It does have continuous lighting. It's also being advertised for DSLR-like use... 'Using iblazr 2 as a video light gives your DSLR camera the ability to shoot small videos well at night. (Great for shooting interviews, video blog posts, etc.)'. There's a coldshoe adapter as well: 'We know that your DSLR needs a small, powerful video light. We also know that iblazr 2, just as in iblazr’s first generation, will help you shoot great content by adding an extra light when necessary. To make adding light easier, we made a simple and efficient Cold Shoe Mount. If you take your most compact light companion with you to your next filming, you will be both surprised and delighted by how useful it proves to be!'.

So yeah, that's why I thought it could be worth a mention...

ba2f4aa79d0ce4ca7f8434b42ceb8f48_original.jpg

Sorry, but perhaps do a little more reading and a little less assuming?

1. It's mentioned that it's '150 Lux in Constant light mode [..] (up to 10X more than a smartphone video light)'. Lux is not Lumen, it's a fraction of the output, measured over a certain surface, whereas Lumen is the total output (obviously a higher value). So, can't say for sure how the apple compares to the orange. I assume like the Lume Cube you might want to be using two or even three together. Atleast though it's even possible to 'adjust the light color temperature from 3200K to 5600K', so you can mix it with ambient without a harsh mismatch.

2. It does have continuous lighting. It's also being advertised for DSLR-like use... 'Using iblazr 2 as a video light gives your DSLR camera the ability to shoot small videos well at night. (Great for shooting interviews, video blog posts, etc.)'. There's a coldshoe adapter as well: 'We know that your DSLR needs a small, powerful video light. We also know that iblazr 2, just as in iblazr’s first generation, will help you shoot great content by adding an extra light when necessary. To make adding light easier, we made a simple and efficient Cold Shoe Mount. If you take your most compact light companion with you to your next filming, you will be both surprised and delighted by how useful it proves to be!'.

So yeah, that's why I thought it could be worth a mention...

ba2f4aa79d0ce4ca7f8434b42ceb8f48_original.jpg

You know I did a google search, and I found quite a few links to the previous version. I also saw their kickstarter view. I guess they have improved the features, apart from adding the dual colour option, and the colour temperature range that comes from the 2 sets of LEDs. They have also apparently allowed many devices to be synced si simultaneously (upto 10 !!!). The battery life is good (25 mins at full power?), and the throw seems limited (not sure since they haven't said except the 300lux @ 1 metre bit for flash and 150lux for video). But, it also has accessories like diffusers that seem promising.

I guess if the throw and the beam seem good, then this should do just fine. Maybe more for an interview than for shooting a film. As a matter of fact, this and the Lume Cube have very similar features, and very similar pricing too. I am surprised, how nobody noticed before. Just that this seems 1/2 or 1/3rd the size of that, especially in thickness, so I am curious battery life.  

Thanks for posting this. I actually like this thing. I would wanna try a few myself, and then probably take a call. 

I noticed that the Kickstarter Campaign just ended a few days ago. 

I like the idea of the gopro like audio recorder, but this I don't know.

That one is actually quite expensive. The Instamic is actually a superb initiative. What has made it Even Better, is the fact that depending on their Collection Targets, they are adding Even More features.

One, they doubled the memory, for reaching the $200,000 target.

Then if they reach $250,000, they will make the recording quality from 48h khz to 96 khz. 

And, if they reach $300,000, they will add 2 additional mics to the sides. I wonder if they can do the Zoom H2n kindda wide separation for the recordings.

It Already has waterproof options and mono as well as stereo. This mic is pretty neat, especially considering its size, the bluetooth function, and the various features on the app.

I suggested to them to try and add a port for a 3.5mm jack for a Lapel Mic in. That should make this thing kick-ass. It might sound the end to a lot of other companies. hehehe

I supported both (iblazr 2 & instamic, also the ImagineVision E1 Z cam btw), so I'm guessing I will find out. :p (Damn, those new smileys are really something else)

i have to fix the issue with PayPal. And find more people who travel from the US (international shipping doesn't make sense unless you bulk buy) to here. 

Any Americans looking for Spiritual Holidays??? :)