Samsung NX1 Review - The glory of technology

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

ISO works for me too during movie recording, I have ISO assigned to the large rear scroll wheel for quick adjustments. The exposure changes smoothly. I don't tend to change ISO during a shot, only before, but make no mistake, the NX1 has full manual control of everything in movie mode.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So far I'm really liking my Samsung NX1, contrary to many of the negative reviews I've read. The auto focus in video on face detect and single point is much faster than my GH4 (still love the GH4, I'm not baggin'). The h.265 codec is a bugger and I've tested 3 programs for conversion: Samsung's Movie Converter, DVDfab 9.0, and Wondershare. Wondershare produces the worst quality but has the fastest conversion to h.264. Samsung's has the 2nd best quality but has the slowest conversion. And the supriser was DVDfab which has the best conversion quality, but the 2nd fastest conversion time. Not to mention, you can actually choose your bitrate in DVDfab. Of course all that depends on machine specs (i.e. processor, ram, harddrive, etc.). RAW images are gorgeous on the photo end of things.

CONCLUSION: Use DVDFab for your conversion not Wondershare. And no, I am not a rep of DVDfab; just sharing my results.

ISO works for me too during movie recording, I have ISO assigned to the large rear scroll wheel for quick adjustments. The exposure changes smoothly. I don't tend to change ISO during a shot, only before, but make no mistake, the NX1 has full manual control of everything in movie mode.

Brilliant Andrew. Thanks for the info. Works really well, but surprised you can't alter it from the ISO button. Using the custom wheel is much better though. Appreciate your help and LearningCameras for alerting me to the fact.

Is there any way you can get the control wheel to adjust ISO on the GH3?

• Administrators

So far I'm really liking my Samsung NX1, contrary to many of the negative reviews I've read. The auto focus in video on face detect and single point is much faster than my GH4 (still love the GH4, I'm not baggin'). The h.265 codec is a bugger and I've tested 3 programs for conversion: Samsung's Movie Converter, DVDfab 9.0, and Wondershare. Wondershare produces the worst quality but has the fastest conversion to h.264. Samsung's has the 2nd best quality but has the slowest conversion. And the supriser was DVDfab which has the best conversion quality, but the 2nd fastest conversion time. Not to mention, you can actually choose your bitrate in DVDfab. Of course all that depends on machine specs (i.e. processor, ram, harddrive, etc.). RAW images are gorgeous on the photo end of things.

CONCLUSION: Use DVDFab for your conversion not Wondershare. And no, I am not a rep of DVDfab; just sharing my results.

Don't convert to H.264 in Wondershare, use ProRes LT. Will try DVDfab, interesting to have another option.

• Administrators

Just tried DVDFab. 50Mbit/s limit though? The resulting H.264 files at highest quality are smaller than the H.265 files so you must be losing something.

The blacks are somewhat crushed on default settings compared to what Wondershare does on -20 contrast or the Samsung app's flatter output.

This seems to produce less banding in the sky though compared to either of the other two apps in particular Wondershare.

I didn't think that the Samsung software was that bad. It wasn't the fastest in the world but based on the review, I just expected worse. I have a new computer with a GTX970 graphics card coming in 1-2 weeks which is supposed to have some support for h.265 so I'll see if maybe I can play back the format on that computer but I'll still have to transcode before editing. Maybe transcoding will go faster too. 

Has anyone talked with anyone from Adobe? I tried tracking down information on h.265 support and couldn't get a straight answer. I would have been great if Samsung would have worked with Adobe and had a Premiere workflow in place at launch or soon after.

So I put on an adapter today to use Canon lenses with the NX1 and things didn't go that well. Focus peaking does some weird things and sometimes goes away completely. It still works but takes some manipulation on the settings to get things working just right and you will still lose the ability to zoom before focusing or while focusing. You can see what i'm talking about: