Samsung NX1 Review - The glory of technology

Andrew Reid

I guess that is where I have been confused. I have read from different places as to what the NX1 can produce over HDMI, some says its 4:2:2 and other say 4:2:0. If in fact you are correct and they both produce 4:2:2, then I think the NX1 may have the advantage with what I have seen so far and the fact it does 1080/120fps.

I guess that could mean a substantial improvement of the 1080p/60 and 1080/120 modes on the Shogun....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

My NX1 arrived today. 2 things right off the bat. After installing the information catching i-launcher I installed Samsung's Movie Converter (on the mac). I went to load a few 4k shots I took and I got a "unsupported file" error. Un-installed, re-installed, rebooted, same thing. I pulled up the Parallels desktop with Windows 8. Installed, and it works fine. I'm in the middle of conversions now, but, I was able to look at the first file converted and I'm impressed. I did the same shot with the AX100 a few weeks ago so I'm comparing but, my initial reaction to the 4k quality was...."Well done Samsung" 

Now to dig deep.

There is a editor currently on the market that processes H.265. It isn't a great editor like Premiere Pro, but it is adequate, none the less. Cyberlink's Power Director 13 has HEVC 265 natively, and multiple choices for uploading to media sites, as well as file formats and discs. Worth a try while waiting for upgrades to other editors currently on the market!

i dont think H265 is such a big deal for filmmakers at all. at least when it comes to editing footage. some people out there seriously believe that by switching to H265 they get the same image 50% smaller, which just isnt the case. as a consumer codec H265 will compress the shit out of everything that isnt visible to the human eye in its orignal. thats why blacks seem to look even worse on H265. The human eye isnt focused on the dark parts of an image. but if you apply only the slightest color correction it will tend to fall apart even quicker. the smaller file size must come from somewhere and people seem to forget this stuff.

im really impressed with the NX1 though. first real try by samsung to get in the filmmaking business and they nailed it. impressive.

i dont think H265 is such a big deal for filmmakers at all. at least when it comes to editing footage. 

That's true, but the people who decide what goes into the finished product, in this case the camera, aren't usually photographers or videographers. They are more likely a bunch of computer geeks, spreadsheet pushers and easily intimidated marketing moguls who aim the cameras to the masses, rather than the relatively small bunch of audience who actually take the effort of editing their footage in PP. Therefore playback features via big TV's and cellphone screens are more important. At least that's how they see it.

Offering a camera with just H265 as the only option for editing purposes simply doesn't make much sense at this point, but it sort of does for direct playback purposes. Just like H264 and AVCHD before H265, for example. Fortunately some cameras offer at least one route to bypass that mainstream-oriented feature and the codecs, like clean HDMI out. 

Yes, yes, the tighter codecs means less storage space needed, but that's beside the point from the pure editing point of view.

I ordered my NX1 and 16-50. One of the stickler points was whether the HDMI out was 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. Some were saying one thing, others something else. So I'm happy to hear it is 4:2:2. I appreciate the video and pictures posted in the last couple of days. It really helped solidify my decision. Anyway, I hope to have my camera by Wednesday. Thanks for the great review and comparisons.

Hello, 
 NX1 and 5K IMAC as do i. i have this NX1 on order, hoping to get great 4K video into my IMAC, but it seems you aren't having luck with the IMAC and this for video files? What about the playback on the IMAC once you have the video files uploaded? That http://www.wondershare.com/mac-video-converter-ultimate/ programe might be needed? I'm not interested in video editing, just want to store the files and watch them. Is this a bad combo NX1 and 5K IMAC? I ordered my IMAC with the better video card and maxed out memory. If you have some time, please give me a shout 248 396 6359  markb@rad.hfh.edu
mark

• Administrators

All 4K cameras even the $12,000 1D C have more rolling shutter in 4K mode than in 1080p. That test makes the mistake of comparing the NX1 in 4K to the A7S in 1080p, without stating the frame rate. In 60p for instance the A7S doesn't do a 4K readout of the sensor, it pixel bins, so rolling shutter is less severe as the scan to read the sensor top to bottom is a lot quicker... drastically fewer pixels being read.

I find the A7S and 1D C to have similar rolling shutter.

The NX1 is similar, maybe a smidgeon better... yet to test it formally.

In terms of sensor scan speed the NX1 is very very high, best on the market. It's doing a 6.5K readout!!

Yeah with that many pixels it was always going to be hard.  It works out at a 3645 line readout which takes 33 miliseconds.  Thats why I hope samsung comes out with a similar specced sensor but with 11.2 megapixel for a native 2160 line readout which is 40% less taking 19ms.  That would lower the rolling shutter to gh4 4k levels.

The rolling shutter in 1080 mode looks good.  Thats why I'm eager to see more examples shot in it.  There seem relitavely few out there and I think they are all at 120fps.  I know andrew you have said that the quality isnt that different between 120 and 30, but I would have hoped there would at least be some improvement.

Obviously you are not going to get same detail as a downsampled 4k shot, but if the quality is ok with no aliasing or moire then it could at least be used for fast moving shots.