Samsung NX1 Review - The glory of technology

Andrew Reid

You can lower contrast sure, but you can also just upload it at 1080p instead of 4K. Then Vimeo / YouTube don't need to scale it so harshly.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm curious about this camera too - it's just the H265 thing. Great codec, but when will the NLE's etc catch on?

I agree lower contrast, vintage lenses would sing on this camera. Also want to see the 120fps!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I agree lower contrast, vintage lenses would sing on this camera. Also want to see the 120fps!

The 120fps is really good, looks better than the GH4 at first glance. Need to shoot some more with it.

The 1080/60p isn't that great though. Shoot 4K.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

So does it look nice and flat at -10 or is it still punchy? What would you say it's close to in "flatness" at the minimum level? (Nikon New flat, Canon Cinestyle, Pana. Cinelike D?)

The 120fps is really good, looks better than the GH4 at first glance. Need to shoot some more with it.

The 1080/60p isn't that great though. Shoot 4K.

Shame about the 1080/60p.... I use that feature a lot on other cameras for subtle slow motion. I'll have to see it for myself. Would be a deal breaker otherwise. How close in greatness is it to the A7S?

I ordered my NX1 and 16-50. One of the stickler points was whether the HDMI out was 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. Some were saying one thing, others something else. So I'm happy to hear it is 4:2:2. I appreciate the video and pictures posted in the last couple of days. It really helped solidify my decision. Anyway, I hope to have my camera by Wednesday. Thanks for the great review and comparisons.

Thanks for the review, Andrew.

As a GH3 owner with a selection of lenses, the GH4 is the natural progression for me, but I just can't fall in love with the images from the camera. Similarly with the A7s. I appreciate the image quality the camera is capable of, but I can't say I've seen very much graded S-log footage that rang my bell! The images from the NX1, however, I am enjoying. The colours just seem slightly understated and as a previous poster mentioned, the highlights gracefully taper off.

I took a look at the original files that you linked to, and also noticed that the red of the manikins sweater is much more pleasing than in the Vimeo clip.

Thanks for helping me make the decision. Found a UK dealer yesterday who should have free stock next week and placed my order. I'm really looking forward to getting out with this camera!

I downloaded the original files and converted using Wondershare Ultimate. At the beginning of the scene of the leaves and branches and then again at about 27 sec., the color banding stands out. At least when viewing on my 5K iMac. This is something I noticed in the Samsung video that was out on youtube for weeks.

I captured a screen with mpeg streamclip. I thought at first it was the youtube/vimeo compression. And it might be. Although I don't see it in GH4 or AX100 clips. And I have the AX100. I'll have to wait and see it out of the camera.

Samsung banding1'' target='_blank'>Samsung banding1> Samsung banding1

Thanks a lot for the review Andrew. It really helped me with my choice for my next cam.
The only question I have, are you really sure the internal recording is 4:2:0 ?
I asked Samsung Germany and they told me that recording is 8 bit 4:2:2 both internal and via hdmi. I don't mind because I use an external recorder anyway if I want to get good quality, but that would mean Samsung support is wrong (once again).

Concerning h265 I guess we will see wide software support in 2015 when the bda announces the specifications for 4k bluray.

This came from an interview between Dave Etchells (IR) and Jay Kellbley (Samsung) Due to the inconsistent information regarding the HDMI output, I've been looking for days.

DE: The video streaming through HDMI port, is that 4:2:2 on everything?

JK: It's 4:2:2 out the HDMI 1.4 port; it's 4:2:0 as it goes to the SD. And it's H.265 to the card for both HD and 4K, so whatever video mode you're saving to SD card, it's using H.265, so you're going to get much more efficient and better-quality HD out of it.

I am currently trying to decide between the GH4 and the NX1, how much of an issue do you think it is that the NX1 can only produce 4:2:0? I am surprised that they did not match the GH4 in this regard. 

I would not worry about 4.2.0 unless you do a ton of green screen. You get rid of some color information, but 4.2.0 is not bad at all. 

Well I've heard that the 120fps from this camera is very impressive in 1080p. This is a super important feature for my music video work.... looking forward to seeing more stuff online and then I'll probably rent it for a job. Or not. Maybe. 

Is the sensor capable of 4k 60fps? If so, why the hell isn't it on the firmware? Sales would be silly high. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I am currently trying to decide between the GH4 and the NX1, how much of an issue do you think it is that the NX1 can only produce 4:2:0? I am surprised that they did not match the GH4 in this regard.

Both the GH4 and NX1 output an uncompressed 4:2:2 4K signal through HDMI, but the GH4 takes further with 10bit. The difference will be only visible when pushing the grade very hard as in 10bit will have less banding. As far as I can tell from initial footage, that image is way nicer than a GH4. Both should produce some very nice ProRes HQ files from the Atomos Shogun. Just need to see some more well shot footage to be sure.