Sony A7II gets in-body 5 axis stabilisation and S-LOG 2

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Long ago were rumours that Sony had licences 5 axis IBIS from Olympus. Well either way, they now have it. The Sony A7 II is the first to get it.

If Sony can put an internal 4K codec and 5 axis stabilisation on the A7 S II then they will keep me as a customer for a VERY long time. How can anyone else really have an answer to that?

So kick away your tripod and let's see what else the A7 II has for video shooters...

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The camera has had a Japanese-only announcement which is a little odd but I fully expect the rest of the world will get it soon. The price in Japan is around the same as the A7 was at launch so approximately 1300 euros.

Kinda looks like they tried to cut down on the leaks/rumors. Seems lik no websites have had the camera or even the press release under NDA. Even local Sony sites didnt have the info / website content. Worked out pretty well, nobody suspected this camera untill yesterday. And even then the leak was from Japan (digicame-info)...

It is a global release though. Press release is online now at Sony EU. Available in europe in January.

Price will be €1800 body  / €2100 kit (28-70mm OSS) - says Sony Netherlands.

Wow. This is another game changer. We have 2 a7s' and if the a7s-II gets this 5 axis internal IS (and maybe 4k internal) then I wonder how it will compare to the Ronin? We almost purchased a DJI Ronin but have waited because of other needs (just bought the Atomos Shogun)...can't wait to see a side by side test between the a7II and the a7s with Ronin.

If the stabilization works well in video, then there are all sorts a flow-on benefits. Compression will work better (vertical and horizontal movements "suit" the algorithms, but roll really screws with it, and fewer small changes to deal with means more data going to things that matter) and rolling shutter effects that delay and spread out camera movements and make things swirl will be reduced. Frankly, the second is really big for me - I can't watch go pro footage most of the time because of the combination of rolling shutter and lots of camera movement is completely disorienting.

Wow. This is another game changer. We have 2 a7s' and if the a7s-II gets this 5 axis internal IS (and maybe 4k internal) then I wonder how it will compare to the Ronin? We almost purchased a DJI Ronin but have waited because of other needs (just bought the Atomos Shogun)...can't wait to see a side by side test between the a7II and the a7s with Ronin.

In-camera stabilization won't compare to using a brushless gimbal like the Ronin unless your only plan is to hold the camera completely still. Throw the A7II on a glidecam and you might be able to get pretty damn close, but it would still be different.

So kick away your tripod

Umm... no, I don't think so, not yet. With 5-axis IBIS or not.  ;)

Yet more great mirrorless technology, which makes me wonder if I will ever go back to a traditional DSLR again, with OIS on the lenses.

Why would you?

Let's indeed hope the sensor and the processor are improved from the previous A7, rather than the same. Looks like a welcome update in ergonomics. Something like what the rushed A7 should have been like from the beginning.

I think it's too early to say anything about the new IBIS, though. Hopefully it'll work as advertised, without any major compromises, either immediately or after an extended period of active use.

As technically great as such an advanced stabilisation is, I do think for video work where the big sensor is advantageous for delivering a big feel, the idea of any in camera/in lens stabilisation has a serious impact on this 'big' aesthetic IMO.  Mainly due to the fact that these types of features have never been seen or used on the types of films I deem as having a 'Big' or sturdy look to them.  On the fly interviews on the other hand will benefit from this addition, not to mention stills!  I'd love it if the a7r had 5 axis.  I imagine the a7r2 probably will.  I need to avoid rumors sites these coming months!!!

For now, I'm still smitten with the A7R (Stills) and the A7S (video).  Unbeatable combo, and if Sony continue the way they're going Canon and Nikon are in serious trouble in th enext 5 years   

I know I keep sounding like an utter Canon gimp, but except specific benefits of IBIS itself, we can still use stabilised canon glass and the 24-70 f4 from interview reviews seems to be superb (ignoring all sony codec benefits, etc). Equally the f2/2.8 primes are handy too. The unique thing though is going to be using something lke the upcoiming FE1.4 35 on it

But this morning I was going crazy with excitement, now Ive calmed down and keep reminding myself that it, like most new releases and technology development isnt THAT big a deal, useful though it is.

I'm wondering if the only reason they were able to put IBIS on this is because it's only pumping 1080/60p amounts of data from the sensor. Heating. Keeping a 4K sensor cool _and_ including IBIS may be too much to hope for for an A7S II. Not that would stop me from hoping for it.  :)

If the A7S II (or A8S) can get IBIS and in-camera 4K recording, that's going to hit Canon right in the pocketbook.

Let's see what this rumored A9 does first, though...Sony is really kicking ass and taking names lately. More lenses (espeically Cine lenses) and a good global professional support system is all that is needed, really. Not that either of those are even remotely easy.

After the release of Sony FS 7 sony convinced me to change from canon to sony and I did switch. After this anouncement I am sure I ll be with sony for a long time.

Andrew said "If Sony can put an internal 4K codec and 5 axis stabilisation on the A7 S II then they will keep me as a customer for a VERY long time. How can anyone else really have an answer to that? "

I say there is no if no but only sony.

I will wait for image stablisation on a7sII, Good by Canon For long time.........