Sony A7 II - XAVC-S + 5-axis stabilized sensor - coming soon?

Julian

The original Sony A7 isn't very good for video, but if this 24 MP sensor shows improvements like Nikon made with the D750, this will be awesome!

Source: digicame-info.com They usually post product info / pictures a few days before the release. Pretty reliable.

Translated specs via Sony Alpha Rumors

A7II specs (translated via google):
- 24.3 million pixels FF sensor
- 5-axis in body stabilization (same as the Olympus E-M1)
- LCD monitor 3.0-inch 1.23 million dot. 107 degrees up, and tilt 41 degrees below
- EVF 0.5-inch 2.36 million dot
- ISO100-25600 (extended with ISO50). Video ISO200-25600
- The shutter speed is 30 seconds -1/8000 seconds
- 270 sheets at the number of possible shots EVF use. LCD monitor when using 350 sheets
- Continuous shooting 2.5 frames / sec. When speed priority continuous shooting 5 frames / sec.
- Video XAVC S, AVCHD, MP4
- The battery is NP-FW50
- The size of 126.9mm x 95.7mm x 59.7mm
- Weight 599g (including battery and memory)
- Vertical position grip VG-C2EM (sold separately)
- Media Memory Stick PRO Duo / PRO-HG Duo / XC-HG Duo, SD / SDHC / SDXC (UHS-I compatible)

Compared to the current A7 the A7II thicker (due the different grip). Wights 100 gram more. The camera should be announced within the next days already!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Ouch. That's pretty big news (assuming 5-axis will work in video mode). Sony really want my money ...

If only they'd get some decent colour science in their cameras!

btw: would 5-axis significantly reduce the rolling shutter if it was on the a7s?

The original Sony A7 isn't very good for video, but if this 24 MP sensor shows improvements like Nikon made with the D750, this will be awesome!

IF the rumoured camera shows propellers like the DJI Inspire, it would be able to fly on its own.

IF Mrs. Johnson showed b@lls under her dress, she'd be Mr. Johnson. 

At this point we don't even know if the innards of the new model are the same as before, sans the 5-axis stabilisation and XAVC codec. We don't know if the 5-axis system will even work in video mode at all. Chances are the updates are mostly for the photo side of things. The rumoured specs don't say anything about all new guts inside the body, which it should have for this to be an "avesome" update for video shooters. But apparently we'll find out soon enough. 

Personally I wonder how they've done the 5-axis stabilisation inside a E-mount body, at least without significant cropping (or crapping out the IQ). Which leads me to wonder what's the point of adding it in the A7 in the first place. Proof of concept, perhaps? IF the rumour is true in the first place.

Another thing that I can't help but wondering about is why are they releasing a new model so soon after the release of the original A7. It'll be interesting to see what happens to the prices of the still unsold stock of the A7's soon, though, IF that rumour about the release time turns out to be true.

Sony isn't really in a position like Canon that makes it possible to recycle the same tech for 5 years. Sony product cycles are fast... I think they'll always be until they find the holy Grail that gives them a big chunck of market share.

Yes, that's pretty obvious in general, but usually the less than a year update cycle applies to the lower end consumer models only. The A7 was supposed to be one of the higher end models that was released... um, less than a year ago? Cheeses.

Suppose they are trying hard to reach new market share with an aggressive than usual cycle. But I think that too short an update cycle even for the pricier models may come and bite Sony in the posteriore at some point. It undermines the perceived value of the product. Premium products are supposed to have longer product cycles.

Oh well, the A7 launch felt a bit rushed to begin with, not so long ago. Hardly a real premium product. Too little too soon, and/or not refined enough. I think the whole A7 FF E-mount concept was, and that may come back to bite Sony in the derriere at some point. 

Hopefully Sony know what they're doing and will get their mojo working next year. 

I am actually fairly happy with the current A7 video.     Sure there are better cameras but mostly it is ok (at least for my rank amateur uses) and easy with almost all the right things (zebras, focus peaking, decent audio and with mic and headphones ETC).

Adding XAVC for better 50/60p and IBIS (great if just for stills better if it is both) just makes me want this even with the current A7.

I love Pentax IBIS for stills and this should only be better.

I got  the Sony 50 1.8 OSS to play with on the A7 for the stabilization, now I can't wait for a stabilized Zeiss 55 1.8, my FD L 85 1.2 stabilized, my 300 2.8 Tamron adaptall stabilized FF my.......

Means A mount lenses will be more desirable with an LA-EA4 too.       The choice is get this or wait a couple more months for the higher spec A9 also rumoured (assuming both rumours are true).

Dan Chung said the 5-axis stabilizer almost certainly works in video mode. Considering previous A7-to-A7S delay, A7S II might be announced 6 months from now. My only issue, - the stabilizer only works with Sony lenses. Really not sure if I wanna say bye to Canon glass....

• Administrators

Dan Chung said the 5-axis stabilizer almost certainly works in video mode. Considering previous A7-to-A7S delay, A7S II might be announced 6 months from now. My only issue, - the stabilizer only works with Sony lenses. Really not sure if I wanna say bye to Canon glass....

He's correct that now... works with every lens... you just input the focal length. Not practical for a manual zoom though.