The Samsung NX1 Review (evolving) - the legend of the un-editable codec and one giant leap for specs-kind!

Andrew Reid

That "kit lens" however adds an extra $1.3k! That is one damn expensive kit lens. :-o

Which very very strangely is *more* than it costs to buy that lens by itself:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1022903-REG/samsung_16_50mm_f_2_2_8_s_ed.html

What the heck is the pricing/marketing guy at Samsung smoking....    !

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The cheap kit lens is a power zoom pancake, F3.5-5.6 with OIS.

The premium zoom looks very nice indeed :)

Here is one of my NX1 4K files converted to 4K ProRes LT. Take a look...

http://we.tl/m9fsASnpoF

Blog part 2 coming very soon

How did you convert it after all? 

Detail is fine with minimal noise. What was the ISO?

There is some nasty blocking in the shadows but I guess that would be visible only when pushing by quite a bit. Edit: Can it be due to the conversion? 

Are there any flatter settings?

Thanks  

The specs certainly sound impressive. However, I want to know who at Samsung thought it would be a good idea to use the name "Backside illumination". Maybe it sounded better in Korean.

Not really Samsung's fault, now is it. Been around a little longer already... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-illuminated_sensor

Samsung should offer an 1080p h264 codec, right now. Metabones should make a Speed Booster, right now. Apple and Adobe should support h265, yesterday!!! ;-DDD

The point of the new codec is it allows smaller file sizes which can easily be written to a standard Class 10 SD card. Metabones already said there won't be a Speed Booster since there isn't enough room for the optics in the NX cameras. Adobe just added ACR support so perhaps they are working on something for Premiere. I've reached out to a few at Adobe on Twitter and haven't gotten a clear answer.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Is there any way to adapt EF lenses to the NX mount? What a Bummer if no! I always shoot wide open so have no issue of it's even a passive solution.

Is there any way to adapt EF lenses to the NX mount? What a Bummer if no! I always shoot wide open so have no issue of it's even a passive solution.

Does seem like it... e.g. http://kiwifotos.com/show_product.php?id=218&id1=129&id2=&id3= or check eBay. It's a matter of bigger design glass for a smaller sensor, so that won't be much of a problem... a problem would be adding a focal reducer, because of that flange focal distance. But a simple dumb adapter like the KIWI (JJC) one... sure.

• Administrators

The Sigma ART lenses in Nikon mount are a good match and you can control the aperture on the adapter.

18-35mm F1.8

35mm F1.4

50mm F1.4

Then add a Zeiss OTUS 85mm F1.4 and you are sorted ;)

All of those are better than Canon's anyway.

• Administrators

Does this cam definitely have 1080p/120fps .... Seems to be conflicting info out there?

Also, any idea about timelapse features (both still and 4K video)?

Thanks

When 1080/30p/25p or 24p is selected you have available 0.25x slow mo in the menus.

Output frame rate of the file remains 30/25/24 but sensor cranks up to give you the slow mo.

So 0.25x slow-mo is quarter speed. At 30p x 4 = 120

Looks like 120fps to 30p conformed in-camera when I shoot with it.

Still to really dive into it 100% and write the blog post about it to compare it to 120fps on the A7S and 96fps on the GH4. Until then take all this info as preliminary!

Just got mine today, yet to shoot anything, but time lapse looks a little strange.

Under interval shooting it looks pretty straightforward: Interval Time/Count/Start Time.

If you want to create a UHD video the manual indicates you need to select 'Time Lapse = On' from the same interval menu and it will produce a video up to 60 seconds long at 10fps! Whats that about?

A maximum of 600 frames is good for 20/24 seconds though, so ample in my books.

Electronic shutter is first curtain only, so I'd be interested to know what the life expectancy of the shutter is.

Personally I'll be looking to trigger this from a Dynamic Perception MX3, so if anyone can suggest any outlets for a shutter cable, I'm all ears.

I must say, coming from a GH3, the viewfinder seems huge, and the I-Function button on Samsung lenses is a great idea. With one hand on the grip and the other on the lens, what better place to put shutter, apperture, white balance and ISO controls?

Spotted this NX1/A7s slomo comparison yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW5Ov1AkFHc