Sony F35 - The cheap $250,000 Cinema Camera

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Just watched a bunch of videos made by F35 owners and I am simply amazed with this camera(some great ones from our fellow member Ed David).

I wonder what is the reason that Sony can't have F35 colors in new cameras, could it be the CCD sensor. I understand that this was a 250K camera but one would think that they could use that 10 years old knowhow for new cameras.

Definitely a CCD vs CMOS issue. I used to shoot a lot of Varicam (3CCD) back in the day and the colors were far richer and truer than RED.

Definitely a CCD vs CMOS issue. I used to shoot a lot of Varicam (3CCD) back in the day and the colors were far richer and truer than RED.

Man, the Varicam had nice colours.

The (old) Varicam had three CCDs so theoretically it should have better colours than any single-sensor camera as it has one whole sensor for each colour (even they are 2/3" sensors)

You would think 3-sensor S35 digital camera is the logical next step, though I imagine it's probably prohibitively expensive.

Have you seen Bowling for Columbine recently?  It completely looks like it was shot on super 16mm.  But I think it was shot on the Sony F900.

Bowling for Columbine was shot on F900 and mastered on film.

Star Wars Episode II was shot on the F900, with Ep III being shot on the F950.

Zombieland, Tron: Legacy, parts of Superbad, Sons of Anarchy, Dexter... shot with Genesis/F35.

Most TV shows that are still running that started shooting F35 (Modern Family, for example) eventually switched to Alexa (though some also started on film and switched to the Alexa - The Mentalist for example!). Though, Alexa has somewhat taken off in television because of the native ProRes shooting, so there's no need for dubbing or telecine to get editing, and you don't even necessarily need to do an online/conform if you don't want to.

Digital Bolex has great colour with the CCD in there.

One word to describe the colour of a CCD... it's analogue.

I wonder if that's just our perception of it, as older digital cameras contained CCD chips... therefore if you compare a modern CMOS chip to a CCD, the CCD has an 'older' look to it.

CMOS is much cheaper to manufacture than CCD which is probably why it took off. CMOS is also generally not as power-hungry.

most shows switched to alexa because it was cheaper and easier and a cleaner image and better in low light - so you save on lighting.  Also I love the look of the Viper - Benjamin Button and Zodiak look amazing.  Also an amazing CCD camera - maybe I should buy one of these.

• 9 months later...

sorry to dredge up an old topic but I must chime into the fact that the F35 is not a good handheld camera. Yes it is very heavy, but the only component you need from an F35 is the camera head and IF box, the older obsolete recording system, viewfinder and handles can be made much more compact. F35 weight sits perfectly on my shoulder, DSLR rigs I hold in my arms unless I put a ridiculous back weight or anton bauer battery that sticks out behind my head 8 inches. F35 is very capable of being not just nice but a great handheld camera, it just takes a little creativity and new lightweight parts like the Odyssey 7Q.

IMG_3504.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 11/17/2014 at 1:34 PM, Andrew Reid said:

And now in late 2017 I've seen the F3 go for sub US$1K!! :-o 

Crazy crazy, almost tempts me a little to consider buying a second F3.

• 1 year later...

Yeah the F35 has been on my list for a long time. Allthough the Alexa is dropping in price, I might just wait a bit and pull the trigger when the Alexa is at similar price, as it has more DR and I guess is cleaner at iso 800(unconfirmed, just guessing here really)

10 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I just hope he didn't buy it from the original starter of this thread.

haha!

10 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah the F35 has been on my list for a long time. Allthough the Alexa is dropping in price, I might just wait a bit and pull the trigger when the Alexa is at similar price, as it has more DR and I guess is cleaner at iso 800(unconfirmed, just guessing here really)

I'd guess that as well, I'd be shocked if this wasn't true. 

Quick google suggests ISO 400 for the F35

When I think F35 I think Ed David...

On 4/8/2016 at 6:47 PM, Cinegain said:

You know what I think makes a really good Formula 1 or MotoGP driver? That he's as good in the field as he is with his team of engineers. He not only needs to know his personal limits, he needs to know where his machine shines and where there's room for improvement to squeeze out that little bit of extra oompf.

Albert Fast is one of these folks that knows the limitations of his gear and knows what to do in post processing to make it go that much further. I feel like that's the real struggle. It's like flying a plane, everyone can make a decent take-off, just throttle up and yank the yoke... pulling off a smooth landing is a 2nd. You've got to have a feeling and understanding for it. It's about putting the puzzle pieces together, you've got to have that oversight. I'm still trying to get to that place with getting my looks down, figuring out the whole deal with all these different LUTs, techniques and methods especially, since I've been shying away from them except for getting quick impressions how different looks would suit certain footage and then just tinkering away from scratch, which tends to get a little time consuming, but I also don't want to throw in a LUT and look like a Instagram hipster. Tough to find that balance, I salute those who have a natural feel for it!

One of my fav looking vids to come across over the last year, must have been this one by Ed on the F35, to me that's just gorgeous synergy of men and tools.

Such a wicked piece. Think he sold his... ?