Black Magic Camera lense mount mean I wont buy it

markm

I had initially thought you could use adapters but now it seems you wont be able to as you can always use an adapter that is longer but not shorter so my lenses aint gonna work and if you did invest in lenses they mostly seem to be over f2.8 and not that many Wide angle lenses or choice and as the sensor is small to start with not much dof control here.

Why oh why did Black Magic cripple it with lens choice All they needed to do was stick a FOUR THIRDS mount on it or make one that could be interchangeable.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
its a funny situation.  they design a system offering budget film makers with a superb system, then cripple it with a mount designed for still photography.  why not just a damn pl mount?  or sony 'e' mount?  rangefinder glass will not work, lenses designed for 4/3's wont work, lets use a canon 50mm lens and end up with a field of view of a 135mm lens!  great job!  :-[

After looking through the lenses here in the accessories and a lot of research it seems not many decent lenses at all. Especially zooms and wide angles.

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/index.php?t=product/blackmagic_cinema_camera

I've got a set of zeiss superspeeds that are adapted for M4/3 and would be perfect for this. I'm not paying £3000 a go for the new zeiss primes. I've also got a nice selection of Pentax lenses and Arri zooms.

I considered because of the low price of the BMC I could buy another set of lenses but alas I fear not.

Damn stupid if you ask me.

Andrew

Do you know of specific lenses that are not uber expensive say a wide angle f2 lens or f1.4 to f2 primes that are between 11mm to 35mm? I think this is about the range you would want for normal film making and essential if you're going to have dof control.

Love to hear others suggestions for sensible lenses for dof control.

The problem is though Gary the lenses for this are very limited when it comes to wide angles or speed unless anyone knows of some.

I think the most sensible thing is for someway to cut of the protrusion and adapt a new mount for it. I think Black Magic have made a serious error here.

• Administrators
[quote author=garypayton link=topic=813.msg5869#msg5869 date=1338958355]
I understand these concerns. As a 5d owner I'll hate to have, let's say, my beautiful 14mm sigma to become a 30 mm... I guess we will have to live with that, maybe sell some lenses to buy new ones.
[/quote]

Just to be clear here Gary, as a 5D owner I'm guessing it isn't the EF mount of the Blackmagic you have an issue with, it is really the sensor size. Different topic altogether.

[quote author=markm link=topic=813.msg5886#msg5886 date=1339015137]
Christian How would you do this? As far as I understood the EF mount sticks out a long way making most lenses unworkable?
[/quote]

Here's one way: https://vimeo.com/album/1778542/video/12603788

I also imagine hotrodcameras will be developing a PL mount workaround as soon as the camera is shipping.

[quote author=markm link=topic=813.msg5832#msg5832 date=1338833034]

Why oh why did Black Magic cripple it with lens choice All they needed to do was stick a FOUR THIRDS mount on it or make one that could be interchangeable.
[/quote]

Ok so don't buy it. I think BMD made a good call, they are trying to take market from the Canon dSLR video set and what better way to do that then with a camera that their lenses work on natively? You can still adapt a heap of different SLR lenses to it as well as PL pretty easily, but EF mount is more difficult to adapt from another mount due to electronic aperture control, so having that built in to the camera means not having to buy a much more expensive adapter like the Metabones etc. While a short flange option like E-Mount would have been great, I think BMD made the right call. Who knows if there is demand for it we could see an E-Mount version of m4/3's version later down the track. Hell an interchangeable mount of their own that they sell E, m4/3's, EF, Nikon, PL etc mount adapters for would be even better. But for a first version EF mount was the right choice, it also seems to be becoming the de facto for step-up cinema cameras, look at the RED Scarlet launch and how much rejoicing in the street there was with the Metabones EF adapter for E-Mount.

Basically EF is one of the hardest to adapt with a simple adapter, making it standard and built in is effectively saving hundreds of dollars and in itself is reasonably adaptable.

[quote author=Andrew Reid link=topic=813.msg5880#msg5880 date=1338991190]

Just to be clear here Gary, as a 5D owner I'm guessing it isn't the EF mount of the Blackmagic you have an issue with, it is really the sensor size. Different topic altogether.
[/quote]

yes, sure, I'm talking about the sensor size.

Would there be interest in an adapter to the RED Epic lens mount system, so that you can use the mounts developed for EPIC / Scarlet on the BMC? Adjustment of the back focus distance would be possible (so now more wrong infinity focus).

I'm making one for myself (for m4/3), but it would be easy to adopt it to other cameras (well on the BMC you would maybe loose your warranty, if you have to remove to much from the camera to remove the existing mount). Prize would be probably somewhere around €900 (or €600 for m4/3 / Sony E).

@MarkM

I don't get the problem, 11-14mm for wide angle it's one of the best budget Wides, with straight distortion not fisheye'ish (converts to around 24mm)
a prime set should atleast be 15mm (goes to around 28/30mm) 25, 28, 35 and 50 and a 100 or 60 mm macro.

I don't see le problem, ofcourse M4/3 would be better, but have you seen the distortion on these lenses? Esp. the wide lenses, it's retarded and not even near cinematic.

The best would be a tokina 11-16mm f2.8 and a Arriflex Angenieux somewhere near 10-200mm with PL adapter for EF

[b]REMINDER! The BMD camera does NOT take 16mm lenses, the senser is slightly BIGGER, S16 primes/zooms won't cover the sensor[/b]

[quote author=markm link=topic=813.msg5897#msg5897 date=1339075439]
Being able to use m4/3 lenses. I'd be interested.
[/quote]

Not sure if you could use m4/3 lenses on the BMC, even if you chop of the mount. My adapter is meant to be attached at a m4/3 cam, Sony E cam or at a BMC, giving them the simple "four screws" RED mount (see [url=http://www.red.com/store/products/scarlet-x-brain-only]http://www.red.com/store/products/scarlet-x-brain-only[/url])where you can attach different mounts, not giving the BMC a m4/3 mount.

There are already some mounts available:
http://www.red.com/store/products/dsmc-ai-canon-mount
http://www.red.com/store/products/dsmc-al-leica-m-mount
http://redmodz.com/optitek-prolock-nikon-mount-for-red-epic/
and so on...

My main concern with normal Canon and Nikon mounts isn't so much the availability of lenses, but the lack of being able to adjust easily the back focus and the lack of stability.

[quote author=sicovdplas link=topic=813.msg5900#msg5900 date=1339093031]
[b]REMINDER! The BMD camera does NOT take 16mm lenses, the senser is slightly BIGGER, S16 primes/zooms won't cover the sensor[/b]
[/quote]

I don't think that's an issue... there are a lot of s16 lenses which will cover the BMC sensor... also you could do a little crop in the worst case.

my test chart based on BMC sensor pixel size specs. 16 mm lenses almost fit to 2k, wonder why everybody so need those strange 2.5 k size? i believe 2k will be also looking good, same to 1080.
[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/24zdflh.png[/img]