New Nikon Camera coming…Z8?

FHDcrew

If I was switching…and I am not, it would without question be a duo of these, paired with adapters and 3 Tamron zooms; 20-40, 28-75, 35-150 with one unit with a battery grip to handle the biggest lens.

I shall have to ‘make do’ with my trio of 2x S5iix’s and a single S5ii.

Not sad about that. Not even slightly. The Z8 and Tamron lens combo is IMO for my needs, the ‘ultimate’ at this point in time, but my budget is not quite on that same point all things considered!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Anyway, my idea of getting a Z8 and a grip to make a small Z9 when I wanted it but build it up when I needed more power has probably fallen by the wayside as, with the grip attached, the Z8 is actually much bigger.

860290264_ScreenShot2023-05-10at16_04_03.thumb.png.55bbbbed71bdcf0e8f85811763dc9372.png

Adding the cost of the grip, the extra batteries and a couple of reports of there being a heat build up in the Z8 on long takes then I think a used Z9 will be the way to go for me if I proceed.

27 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The stacked CMOS sensor providing a zero blackout EVF when shooting bursts because readout speeds are fast enough to negate a mechanical shutter being a prime example.

In fact, adding to the stacked sensor (and perhaps being even more important), the Z9 / Z8 have a dual dedicated image feed - one for the processor, and one exclusive for the EVF / LCD.
Is a thing that I always thought that should be standard to mirrorless cameras, but since it is still so rare, should be costly to implement. I guessed that it could be done splitting the signal after it leaves the sensor, but looks like it should be implemented in the sensor itself.

Kind of a strange philosophy to release the exact same camera specs in a different body but I'm not complaining. I do wish they'd added N-Log2 with a flatter curve. The menu system seems a little dated. No SSD support. No open gate. Some reviews claim the AF acts weird. I dunno how I feel about no mechanical shutter despite the fast read-out. Then there was that article Andrew wrote about the RAW not having much DR..

But all that nitpicking put aside it still seems like a killer cam for the price. Stacked sensors are the future. Will it be enough to draw me back into Nikon, tough call. I'd have to try one out. I haven't even seen a Z9 in the flesh but I assume the Z8 will be more readily available, at least lets hope so. Anyone know of where to find some Z9 RAW or log footage online?

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

with the grip attached, the Z8 is actually much bigger

Based on that pic, I would then have gone Z9 + Z8…which was the plan.

The Z9 looks far neater than the Z8 with grip!

It's really hard not to root for Nikon given how hard they are working to stay relevant and trying to carve out a piece of the video pie. I am not in a position to switch from Lumix and the L-mount, but if I were in a position to do so Nikon would be the favorite. 

The thing is though that Lumix will release something within the next year that will make me want to stay, haha. 

I do hope though that Nikon is rewarded for the effort they've put in. They've definitely been amongst the most forward thinking companies since the full frame mirrorless transition, which is even more notable given how it feels like some companies are taking steps backwards (:cough: Sony :cough:)

A very cool feature I'd missed that came with the 3.0 Z9 FW is this "Hi-Res Zoom" which is basically what I assume is the equivalent to Sony's clear image zoom tech but with oversampled 8K to work with and zoom control can be set to lens control/focus ring. This is really sweet for prime lens shooters like myself, effectively doubling the focal range. Great way to make use of that extra resolution.

58 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Meike have now entered the E to Z mount adapter game.

1365834574_ScreenShot2023-05-11at15_14_57.png.53dbf9962ddc4121b55997344dfde403.png

At under €150 it is cheaper than the Megadap one.

Full details here 

https://meikeglobal.com/collections/new-release/products/meike-mount-adapter-etz-for-sony-e-mount-lenses-to-nikon-cameras

Well dang.  I just ordered a 17-35 2.8 F-mount lens...but maybe I should cancel and go with this and a cheap samyang ultrawide...this adapter is very affordable.

Seems a really good camera, probably the best hybrid at the moment.

It makes A1, Z9 and R3 look overpriced compared to this. Really good that Nikon is aggressive with the price/features pushing Canon and Sony. 

Only odd thing that apparently it cannot record video on both cards...and personally I don't like the screen as is a pita on gimbals...

• Super Members
35 minutes ago, Django said:

A very cool feature I'd missed that came with the 3.0 Z9 FW is this "Hi-Res Zoom" which is basically what I assume is the equivalent to Sony's clear image zoom tech but with oversampled 8K to work with and zoom control can be set to lens control/focus ring.

The MC-N10 remote grip allows operation of the zoom (and a host of other functions) to be controlled off camera too.

Its not cheap but it adds a lot for video shooters, particularly for gimbal use.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

The MC-N10 remote grip allows operation of the zoom (and a host of other functions) to be controlled off camera too.

Its not cheap but it adds a lot for video shooters, particularly for gimbal use.

Yeah its a very cool accessory for sure! Also interesting for me to note in that video that you can switch to APS-C (DX) mode on the fly to punch-in during recording . That's awesome, I don't know of other systems allowing that kind of live crop functionality aside from clear image zoom which is similar but different.

1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

It makes A1, Z9 and R3 look overpriced compared to this. Really good that Nikon is aggressive with the price/features pushing Canon and Sony. 

To be fair though Z9 has built-in vertical grip, bigger battery, better weather sealing, ethernet, GPS etc. Its a flagship sports/action D5 type body. Z9 will also not overheat and has longer recording times. Quite a few reports of "hot card" and overheat warning on Z8.

Z8 is really a R5, A7RV competitor. Not R3/A1/Z9. Pretty amazing they did give it the same specs as their flagship.

Puts pressure on Sony & Canon to deliver stacked sensor tech in their next equivalent products! 

18 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Actually for gimbal use is a pita as it works only through USB so you cannot connect the gimbal to the camera, plus you have a cable from the gimbal grip to the camera that is not a good idea. Would have been Wifi or Bluetooth it would have been brilliant.... 

• Super Members
40 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Actually for gimbal use is a pita as it works only through USB so you cannot connect the gimbal to the camera, plus you have a cable from the gimbal grip to the camera that is not a good idea. Would have been Wifi or Bluetooth it would have been brilliant.... 

For some reason (a combination of presumption and wishful thinking) I thought it was both USB and bluetooth.

Pity.

On 5/11/2023 at 5:15 PM, Django said:

To be fair though Z9 has built-in vertical grip, bigger battery, better weather sealing, ethernet, GPS etc. Its a flagship sports/action D5 type body. Z9 will also not overheat and has longer recording times. Quite a few reports of "hot card" and overheat warning on Z8.

Hope not much confirmed further later on because...

On 5/11/2023 at 5:15 PM, Django said:

Z8 is really a R5, A7RV competitor. Not R3/A1/Z9. Pretty amazing they did give it the same specs as their flagship.

Puts pressure on Sony & Canon to deliver stacked sensor tech in their next equivalent products! 

...that's really such 'da' release TBH : )

Extra info here.

https://cameradecision.com/top-cameras-with-Stacked-Sensor