New Nikon Camera coming…Z8?

FHDcrew

32 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Well I do hope they do ship quite early because the lack of availability of Z9's at launch and since must have pissed off a lot of people. Me being one of them!

Z9 was announced during COVID and had a 9 month shipping delay due to global parts shortage which led to continuous backorders. This is no longer the case so the same scenario shouldn't repeat itself. Z8's should also be produced on a larger scale as it is less of a high-end niche camera than Z9.

24 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

I like flip-out displays but I know people who work in repair shops and they told me they see a lot of broken ones. Most of the times the data cable can't handle the usual wear and tear. What is completely absent in long term camera reviews are technical opinions of the guys who repair these stuff several months after their release.

flip out displays on mirrorless bring tons of issues including failure points and side port blocking and for me zero advantages as I never use the selfie position. Unfortunately most video oriented mirrorless have all switched to them so its nice one company has resisted. The Z9 probably has the most versatile tilt hinge display mechanism too, hopefully included on Z8.

Nikon-Z9-Tilt-Flip-Articulating-Dual-Axi

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

S1/R/H also resisted and I wish they really had with the Fuji XH2 and Lumix S5.

Not deal-breakers on it's own, but just swung me away from Fuji when I was looking at returning to them over the Winter.

Flip out screens suck, but at least you don't have to flip the monitor out when you've got an external monitor. Honestly for a camera I'm using for video I'd rather have no screen if it's going to be shitty 3" one. I'd rather they made it cheaper and just put a rear mounted v-mount or np-f mount there instead. 

On 5/2/2023 at 1:50 AM, D Verco said:

What's the benefit of the Z9/ Z8 for video over the Canon R5. I don't know enough about the canon, but I thought it was meant to be a good video hybrid?

The main difference is Z9 8k 60 vs R5 8k 30 (R5c has 8k 60) but at the end imo what it counts is what leans you have. 

1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

Flip out screens are great especially for gimbal use as they don't interfere with the motors/arms! 

Yep, the only time I prefer them over a tilt.

Having said that, I had better get used to tilt only as by next month, I'm going to be running a 3x tilt only set up!

The stacked sensor and significantly better DR (in video), and full size HDMI make the Z8 a more attractive hybrid camera to me than the R5, it's the jump into a new system of lenses that gives me pause for thought. There are some interesting looking Z lenses though 

23 minutes ago, ade towell said:

The stacked sensor and significantly better DR (in video), and full size HDMI make the Z8 a more attractive hybrid camera to me than the R5, it's the jump into a new system of lenses that gives me pause for thought. There are some interesting looking Z lenses though 

..and great affordable Nikkor glass (from AI-S to AF-S) to adapt natively. Nikon have a much longer F mount legacy lens series than Canons EF that goes all the way back to the 70s and that are compact and really well built.

59 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

I thought you were moving to 3 x S5ii/S5iix - all flip-out/swivel screens?

Brain fade 🤪

Yes, exactly that. I've actually been setting up the S5ii ready to receive it's new brothers into the cult and it's looking good.

OK, I will have to endure/get used to FLIP OUT SIDE SCREENS, but it's not like I haven't had them on a number of cameras for years, - I just prefer tilts.

saw some reviews on YT and my immediate takeaway is that I can't tell much of a difference in image quality, with a quick look, compared to the z6II.  are we at a point that improvements in sensor tech/software for imaging is limited or are they purposefully not investing in DR/color and instead putting more into other gidgets/gadgets like IBIS, open gate, etc?

• Super Members
40 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

saw some reviews on YT and my immediate takeaway is that I can't tell much of a difference in image quality, with a quick look, compared to the z6II.  are we at a point that improvements in sensor tech/software for imaging is limited or are they purposefully not investing in DR/color and instead putting more into other gidgets/gadgets like IBIS, open gate, etc?

The Z9/Z8 are different cameras for a different purpose to the Z6II.

If you need a camera for that purpose (predominantly professional sports/photojournalism and/or 8K video or 4K handoff of ProRes) then the advances in development are obvious and are directed to support the performance of those roles.

As such, the developments are about functionality rather than being frivolous trinkets.

The stacked CMOS sensor providing a zero blackout EVF when shooting bursts because readout speeds are fast enough to negate a mechanical shutter being a prime example.

If you don't need any of the functionality that these advancements support for what you are doing then it doesn't mean the development has gone in the wrong direction, it just means its not a direction you need because you have no specific need for the target use of these specific cameras.

For everyone that does, though, the development effort has absolutely gone in the right place.