Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Reid

DJI Inspire 1 - all new "Hollywood 4K drone" for under $3000

Well, DJI Phantom 2 is toast! The new DJI Inspire 1 is a massive upgrade taking it much higher end. The camera that comes with the Inspire 1 shoots DCI 4K at 4096 x 2160 as well as Ultra HD at 3840 x 2160, with support for 30,25 and 24p. Radio range is 1.2 miles and it streams a high quality 720p feed for monitoring on the remote control. Extra handsets at $650 allow for a second operator.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Friggin' awesome. Just curious if it extends the legs in an 'emergency' situation (maybe it can sense a droprate and closing-in ground proximity?)...

Wouldn't want that camera to be the first thing hitting the ground if something goes south.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Using it for indoors as a replacement for dollys/sliders is a very attractive proposition. And that kind of outdoor camera motion would defnintely add enormous value to my business and will probably blow clients away, nobody is doing such motion at all in my market. It's still a tad too expensive for me though at 3K$ [plus 2K customs, taxes and shipping]. But this kind of device will probably make its value in a very short period and provide a jump in quality much more than a new camera at least!

What really attracts me to the Phantom 2 is that the camera (goPro) is removable. This means that you could replace it with a newer model, like many have done with the new hero4. This drone however comes with the camera. Does that mean that when you want to upgrade the camera you need to completely replace the drone? That would be a major shame. Interesting development nonetheless.

EDIT: Nevermind...the camera is detachable for future upgrades. 

I watched a lot of quad videos with properly balanced quads, however I always saw some micro shaking, even here at the skyscraper shot at 1:39. I wonder if this can be eliminated completely with quads, or you need a bigger copter for that. Other than this, I liked the Inspire 1 very much.

It's amazing. What more can I say. Will definitely be getting one.

I think its amzing how a lot of people can be blended by some fancy folding mechanism , which adds a lot of weight and complexity , and a possible long term failure 

the real  innovation is the full camera controle over the rc channel

I would love to be able to controle the my gh4 while beeing in the air, even though its not necessary for 99% of the time

dont forget, the thing weighs 3kg and the blades are much bigger, the phantom is a toy against it...and even the phantom is no toy at all 

It's amazing. What more can I say. Will definitely be getting one.

Andrew (or anybody else!), you should better do some simulation on the computer first and buy the cheapest drone you can find second. Crash a couple of cheap cheap drones first!!! 

I have done aerials for three years and never ever had the idea of piloting the drone myself!

Edited to add: I watched the videos. I think DJI is being pretty unresponsible. I have seen several times a drone out of control. Not on YouTube, real. Not lazy-sunday pilots. People who is very prepared. On all the cases there were nobody to hurt, but I can tell you I don't want to receive a drone out of control on my head.......

1) "The drone anyone can fly" doesn't exist. There's people who can't ride a bike or a car.

2) The encouragement to flight indoors with people is dangerous too. Electronics works most of the time. Even if it works 99.99% of the time, it can fail. If it fails and there is nobody, you loose your drone. If it fails and there is people, you can maybe not kill, but injure someone really seriously. 

3) Safety first, now and forever. 

Andrew (or anybody else!), you should better do some simulation on the computer first and buy the cheapest drone you can find second. Crash a couple of cheap cheap drones first!!! 

I have done aerials for three years and never ever had the idea of piloting the drone myself!

Edited to add: I watched the videos. I think DJI is being pretty unresponsible. I have seen several times a drone out of control. Not on YouTube, real. Not lazy-sunday pilots. People who is very prepared. On all the cases there were nobody to hurt, but I can tell you I don't want to receive a drone out of control on my head.......

1) "The drone anyone can fly" doesn't exist. There's people who can't ride a bike or a car.

2) The encouragement to flight indoors with people is dangerous too. Electronics works most of the time. Even if it works 99.99% of the time, it can fail. If it fails and there is nobody, you loose your drone. If it fails and there is people, you can maybe not kill, but injure someone really seriously. 

3) Safety first, now and forever. 

What do you think is the most reliable drone right now in the market? Safe enough so it can be used in wedding videos for example.

"What do you think is the most reliable drone right now in the market? Safe enough so it can be used in wedding videos for example."

Hahaha. This is funny.

Remote control devices are only as good or safe as their pilots.

So they can't lose signal? Reread his post.

There's no need to defame Philip just because he has done a presenting job for DJI. For a start he's done a good job, it's engaging and informative to watch....and actually his involvement is more than just that video... he's shooting as well, offering feedback, making some really fantastic images with it.

If DJI had offered you the same opportunity MattH, I'd have been happy for you. A shame you feel the need to throw stones at someone else who did get the opportunity.

Hi there!

I quite new to drones but as they get better & better and more affordable I see myself owning one in the future. It just opens so much more possibilities...

So I just wonder how does the Inspire1 compare to something like the Plexidrone (http://bit.ly/1BfdgpA) with a GoPro4?

Thanks!

Hey Roman nice to see you here. (I bought my first Iscorama from this guy... a great shooter)

Camera wise they will produce a similar image, I think they use the same sensor. Not tested either yet. I'm certainly no authority on drones, but interested in getting into them now they are this technologically advanced.