Apple kill third party SSD support in Yosemite

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have a mid 2012 Macbook Pro. I took out the stock HDD and replaced it with a Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB (also took out the Superdrive and replaced it with a hard drive caddy + 1 TB HDD). Ever since I did this I've always run the Trim Enabler app to patch OSX to allow trim support for the SSD. I've also had the app notify me if trim becomes disabled due to a software update so I can re-enable it. I updated to Yosemite few weeks after it came out and I didn't have any problem upgrading from Mavericks. Unless I just completely forgot, I don't recall opening Trim Enabler up and reverting back to stock settings without support for trim before I updated to Yosemite. I didn't encounter any boot issues.

Once Yosemite was installed, I opened Trim Enabler and read about the kext signing and decided I would disable kext signing to regain trim support. I do realize if I ever have to do a PRAM reset I will have totally screwed myself and will be met with a boot problem and grey screen. Although I have read how to fix your system from the cindori.org FAQ on the issue.

I don't really find it to be a big issue. I have a 3rd party SSD with trim support and everything works. It is a bit annoying that I have to turn of kext signing, which is sorta a security issue. I do agree though that Apple should have trim support for all SSD without the need for an app like Trim Enabler.

Apple sure like to suck the cash straight out your wallet, how else could they afford such an ugly Yacht.

No need for a wallet anymore. You can pay with your iPhone. And manage all your bank accounts with an app.

I don't really find it to be a big issue. I have a 3rd party SSD with trim support and everything works. It is a bit annoying that I have to turn of kext signing, which is sorta a security issue. I do agree though that Apple should have trim support for all SSD without the need for an app like Trim Enabler.

Or someone manages to hack Yosemite in this respect. I think rather Apple will add the support. 

Either trim isn't really enabled despite what the software is saying, or you have the kext signing security feature turned off. Can you find out?

The soft says it's ON. I'm not sure how to find out about the kext security feature, I've read the Cindori link, but I'm not sure how to proceed and don't want to risk anything as I'm working on some projects right now. :S

I have a MacBook Pro 15-inch, Early 2011 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD. The SSD I swapped from the original HD - it's a 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD (It is so freakishly FAST! I get boot times from OFF to Desktop of about 5-7 seconds! ). Anyways, after I upgraded to Yosemite, I started having issues with the laptop's display and not long after, the laptop would not boot to AST and would get stuck on a white screen.

Well, because I had purchased a 4-year service contract (thank god), Apple came and picked it up. It turned out that the problem was a defective logic board. Apple replaced the logic board and everything runs once again lightning quick with Yosemite and the SSD.

Keep in mind that this is a 2011 Macbook Pro - No retina. The new Macbooks have different hardware and I wouldn't put it past Apple to twist their customer's arms to force us to upgrade software/hardware. We all remember the FCP7 to FCPX fiasco.

I still love Macs - especially their laptops - but let's face it, on the desktop world, PCs rule - only because you can build a machine many times more powerful than a Mac for about the same price you'd pay for a mac. That's why my desktop is a PC.

Your headline is false. I'm writing this from a Macbook Pro 2009 with a third party Samsung SSD with TRIM enabled. No problems here at all. My room-mates have added third party SSD's too, and they too have no issues.

Chill out Andrew, there's probably some other reason why it's not working - Apple is not intentionally disabling 3rd party SSD's.

Apple started supporting TRIM  ons since 10.6.7 or 10.6.8 if I remember.

The funny thing was only with Apple SSDs, the way to enable this was hex edit the IOAHCIBlockStorage, apple hardcoded the value "APPLE SSD"

2rFTk.png

Frist was replacing this with the first letters of your SSD but if the ssd were different you, only the one would work.

replace-name_cropped2.jpg

So the way it works is just replacing the "APPLE SSD" with "000000000" and just is "trim enabler"

With Yosemite if you modify any kext the OS won't start, so this you have to disable kext signing.

Apple as usal. 

Eh I dont know... I mean, Apples target market when it comes to Filmmaking is Medium to Medium High range. I mean most production studios and motion graphics companies use Linux for the turnkey. So really, looking at that generally most people in those ranges dont have a perfect workstation system.

Theres alot of lost profit from Apple when it comes to Hackintoshing since, higher end custom made workstations are generally cheaper with better performance compared to the Mac Pro (Ok fine, according to most people anyways). Regardless, it may simply be a thunderbolt to SSD drive issue. Perhaps a firmware thing with the dock through thunderbolt and the install. I have a firewire to Thunderbolt adapter and its touchy as to if it decides to work or not, not to mention the peripheral i used it for was never update so it doesnt work. Also, based on the lack of a warning message I dont think Apple knew or would want the flack from the community as a byproduct of sneaking that in there.

I would hit up Buffalo support first on this to be honest although there is probably little they can do. Might just be more of bug than anything else. Possibly throwing the security kext protocol while a drive bay with slightly incompatible firmware due to thunderbolt code changes ("tweaks) on Apples side.

Otherwise, if you want to go the evil corporation route, im sure its more a primer, to get it in peoples heads that hey your SSD may not be supported so you may just want to get that Apple drive, and make sure its big because you may not be able to boot from a 3rd party one. You know, issue a statement that of course its not, fix the problems, but it gets out to the masses that it is. That little worm of doubt wiggling at the back of your mind, precursor to full denial of external SSD booting. Which is fine at that point because, well there are errors anyways, and by then the hardest of the hardcore fanboys will have already begun to rationalize it.

Not saying i've ever owned any computer other than an Apple computer. I haven't and I've always been a fan at least until recently. I dont know, its lost its magic...

In any case, i'd stay tuned for this one. However Mr Reid has good reason to react the way he did, as does anyone whos bread and butter relies on the systems and oh so delicate data. Plus if no one makes a fuss and that is what they are doing, preparing and testing for it, well... that pretty much gives them the go ahead to just do it as far as Im concerned.

Otherwise, if you want to go the evil corporation route, im sure its more a primer, to get it in peoples heads that hey your SSD may not be supported so you may just want to get that Apple drive, and make sure its big because you may not be able to boot from a 3rd party one. You know, issue a statement that of course its not, fix the problems, but it gets out to the masses that it is. That little worm of doubt wiggling at the back of your mind, precursor to full denial of external SSD booting. Which is fine at that point because, well there are errors anyways, and by then the hardest of the hardcore fanboys will have already begun to rationalize it.

What needs no further evidence is the statement that Apple is indeed the evil corporation. We had it recently, they suck our wallets empty, and we cheer. To the longtime Apple users it's also undeniable that they get a benefit compared to a shabby, say, Lenovo, HP or the like with abysmal Windows 7 or 8. 

Someone (in conjunction with the hype about new iPhones) compared the fanboy behaviour with the Stockholm syndrome.  Quote from Wikipedia: 'The victims (...) essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors for an act of kindness.'

We all remember the FCP7 to FCPX fiasco.

It was a PR fiasco. And it made practically all professionals abandon FCP. As the years passed, a few dared to take a fresh look, as here. Without prejudice (difficult for people who were let down like this, I admit), it becomes pretty clear that the concept behind FCP X was indeed revolutionary. And that this - or at least something very much like this - will be the future of editing. Or: Tracks as a visualisation for the correlations of clip selections aren't necessarily completely useless in every situation. For these rare occasions, FCP X still has a solution, scroll down this.

I wonder how many years must pass until the first of the competitors swallow their pride and dispose tracks.

I still love Macs - especially their laptops - but let's face it, on the desktop world, PCs rule - only because you can build a machine many times more powerful than a Mac for about the same price you'd pay for a mac. That's why my desktop is a PC.

And, let's face it, we all don't know if there still is some benevolent force behind that Empire. The iMac, OSX, the iPhone, FCP X, those were launched under the reign of Jobs, who had the balls to think differently, to indeed offer an alternative. So maybe my next desktop will also be a PC.

• Administrators

Wrong headline. It should read "Apple Yosemite ends support for TRIM on some older third party SSDs." I know it's not as sensational or as clickbaity but it would be more accurate. 

It's distinctly dead from my perspective! Still not working.