Apple kill third party SSD support in Yosemite

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well. I agree with you Andrew. But this is nothing new. Apple has done this for many years with all the other hardware you find in your computer/PC.

And for that reason exactly, I am a Windows user. :)  You can pretty much use any hardware you want - including SSDs :P   And you can't do that with OS X because they have very limited hardware support.

i have a Hackintosh running Yosemite from a Samsung 830 SSD without any issues. As a matter of fact I know 4 other people also running a Hackintosh with SSD drives on Yosemite. The chance that all 5 of us run a Apple-used-SSD is pretty low.

I suspect that this is purely a problem for people running original Apple hardware, but with a third party drive. Hackintosh users seem unaffected.

• Administrators

Running off of an internal OWC SSD on one of my machines, which works fine. Installed and running off another external drive on another machine also worked. I have yet to hear anyone else have this issue. Besides, what makes you think this is a security issue if it still worked over USB 3?

It worked over USB 3 as Mavericks booted instead of the stillborn Yosemite installation. The problem comes when upgrading to Yosemite. Read the article.

• Administrators

i have a Hackintosh running Yosemite from a Samsung 830 SSD without any issues. As a matter of fact I know 4 other people also running a Hackintosh with SSD drives on Yosemite. The chance that all 5 of us run a Apple-used-SSD is pretty low.

I suspect that this is purely a problem for people running original Apple hardware, but with a third party drive. Hackintosh users seem unaffected.

It doesn't affect a Hackintosh. I assume the driver signing is off anyway on those systems, since the very definition of a Hackintosh is that they are a hack.

This problem comes when doing an official upgrade to Yosemite using the App Store on an official Mac system with third party SSD drive or external SSD caddy.

• Administrators

Remember to read this too guys... http://www.larryjordan.biz/caution-ssd-drives-and-yosemite/

And this by OWC's CEO - http://blog.macsales.com/21641-with-an-owc-ssd-theres-no-need-for-Trim

Not all SSDs use Trim which is where the unsigned driver problem occurs.

It could also depend on the Thunderbolt controller / caddy chipset, etc. I am not sure. But I am sure it doesn't work on my system.

iMac 27" late 2013. Samsung Evo 840 500GB SSD in Buffalo Thunderbolt caddy.

Andrew, do you mean any version of Yosemite? because i'm using Yosemite on a SSD right now to comment on this and i've heard nothing from any other sources having the same issue. I've used an external SSD over thunderbolt for the Yosemite Beta, and now for the full release which i only updated an hour ago. no issues yet. for the record i'm using a Lacie SSD with thunderbolt

• Administrators

It's working for you because Trim is disabled, or your particular brand of SSD doesn't use trim and instead the firmware uses a different type of driver.

If Trim is simply disabled it is likely your SSD performance will tail off over time, as Trim keeps things organised and tells the OS where the remaining free space is.

There's a good explanation from huge Apple fans Samsung here: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/us/html/about/whitepaper04.html

If the Trim kext is loaded, in my case it could be that booting my MacBook Retina 15" with my iMac drive played with some settings... But that doesn't explain why so many others are having the same problem and that Larry & OWC are sounding off about it.

How do I disable Trim anyway, or check if the kext files are loaded / enabled?

• Administrators

Just a heads up regarding TRIM, I'm using TRIM Enabler on my Samsung SSD and I'm typing from my MBP running Yosemite.

Either trim isn't really enabled despite what the software is saying, or you have the kext signing security feature turned off. Can you find out?