Pulling Focus on AF Lens with Follow Focus

Litewolf

Hi,

I've got pretty nice lenses for my 5D Mark III.

Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG

Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 USM

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 USM

Since those lenses are made for fast autofocus operation for photography, the distance from the nearest focus point to infinity on the focus ring is quite short. This should make it harder to pull focus smoothly.

Here is a short explaination:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I prefer short throw focus lenses to work with so its not an issue

I do like only having to rack a small amount rather than rack a full 300 degrees etc

so you just get use to it - I personally find it alot quicker and useful to use short throw lenses especially on a hand held shoulder rig

where you are moving and shooting quick.

Long throw lenses need to locked off with the camera on legs and a heavy duty rig plate tso there is no movement as you turn the follow focus - also you need to have your lenses fully supported underneath and on rods so there is no lens movent up and down , I actually cable tie the lens to the rods to eliminate any up/ down movement as you turn the follow focus......which is really annoying problem with DSLR follow focus set ups.

Many times I do end up removing the follow focus and hand racking to stop movement.