Canon will come again

zenpmd

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Will it be easier for Canon to develop 4K for their full-frame, or for Panasonic to develop a full-frame for their 4K?

The video coming out of that lx100 is what 1080p was always meant to be (it solves the lack of color information inherent in 1080 sensel bayer patterns).  I mean, it's SO clean.  It's been relatively easy for me to resist the impulse of the false photo god in the GH4.    But the lx100 video "photo" mode in a small form-factor.  Oh the word of Panasonic does sound true!!!! :)

Some companies are going to bring out some cameras next year that are going to be better than previous cameras and one companies' camera will be better than another companies' camera but only in this way not that way and anyway some people will prefer the other companies' camera nevertheless and anyway everybody will complain about everything except of course the latest thing but only for five minutes and then it will be crap again like all the others except the ones that are your favourite not mine and then it will all start again every five f*cking minutes and nobody will have enough time to make a decent or interesting f*cking film because by the time the film is half made you will be devastated by how "last-month" your camera is and none of the twelve other cameras you have in your back pocket will cut it either but you don't want to give Canikonysonic your money because they are responsible for all the troubles of the world so you just start juggling with all seventeen of your outmoded cameras hoping to collect spare change from passers-by to pay for the perfect camera while you wait patiently for THE ONE to descend from the arse of the Great Camera God in the Sky and lord help him if it's not the right price or it has too many goblins in the shadows or isn't as sharp as the razor blade you will massacre innocents with if anyone says "content is king" again or is in some other aspect different to another current quite good camera or a camera in the imagination of one or two video forum users. Amen.

By the time they release it you will be able to buy two A7s plus recorders for the same price because Sony is going to present  new professional A7 cameras in February.

They will certainly be releasing things, but I can almost guarantee they won't release a replacement/mkii version of a camera that will have been shipping for less than 9 months.

On a pro camera line that will be just over 12 months old. I don't think so somehow. Sony are certainly kicking goals, but they have a pretty good product offering across the market. You might see additional a7(x) cameras with different feature sets... maybe.

Andrew - why do you think Canon wont follow Sony? Sony have a top end line too and don't cripple their bodies. Sure the 7d could have been better but when you consider still that the 7d was used in films in the cinema, can we overstate it? My A7s defo looks MUCH BETTER than my 5dmk3, but the 5d line is so important to people all over the world, professionals and otherwise (and many photojournalists) that they are not going to (and cannot) throw that heritage away.

Canon are so much more consistent than Nikon with their weird bodies and strange specs. The 7dmk2 is exactly the same as 5dmk3 and their line is clearly delinated. That's a great strategy and better than Nikons weirdness (despite their innovation - which really only amounts to using the latest and greatest Sony sensors)

• Administrators

5dmarkIII RAW is still THE BEST THING out there. I don't care what the a7s apologists say, it's nowhere near the 5d raw power.

It's better than the C300.

It's Alexa lite.

And a better DSLR will not be coming soon, from any manufacturer.

Whilst there's some truth to that, image capturing and creativity is about a lot more - and part of that is the ability to keep rolling, for a long time. With raw you can't do that. And if you shoot a lot of stuff over months and years, you simply have no choice but to start deleting raw files, thus losing vital masters and all the advantages of raw in the workflow.

Artistically, it's utterly spellbindingly beautiful, but practically - not on all projects but some - it is a problem at times. The A7S is close overall and in some aspects even better - in low light and for highlight handling (it has a smoother roll off). The A7S doesn't need me or anyone else to be an apologist for it. What's to apologise for? It's a superb machine and we're very lucky to have it. If it was left to Canon, we'd be paying $10k or more for it.

• Administrators

Andrew - why do you think Canon wont follow Sony? Sony have a top end line too and don't cripple their bodies. Sure the 7d could have been better but when you consider still that the 7d was used in films in the cinema, can we overstate it? My A7s defo looks MUCH BETTER than my 5dmk3, but the 5d line is so important to people all over the world, professionals and otherwise (and many photojournalists) that they are not going to (and cannot) throw that heritage away.

Because Canon have taken great pain to separate their cinema and photography range. Cinema EOS was a big investment in marketing and R&D for Canon. Convergence is not yet part of their strategy.

This may change in the future of course.

But I cannot see their DSLRs being allowed to challenge Cinema EOS in any respect, for the time being.

Sony is different, they have always pushed the consumer electronics to the maximum performance. They are a consumer electronics company. That is their core business. At Canon, photography is their core business. Different perspective.