Fusion7 Now Free

JohnVid

fusion7.jpg

For those not following Black Magic, after aquiring Eyon Fusion, there now giving it away, got to be good news, the free version can be used for both personal and commercial work. The only features missing are optical flow image analysis tools for retiming, stabilization and stereoscopic 3D work, support for third-party OpenFX plugins, unlimited distributed network rendering and multi user collaboration tools.

Go get it...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I can only imagine what it's competitors are thinking now (hint: Adobe)...  

Adobe ...

a.) ...  can rely on their clients' loyality. They know, that a habit of working in a familiar environment can well be worth to remain faithful. As Adobe remains faithful. This software changes only marginally over the decades. It's like a an old horse rug, scrubbed and patched now and then. Nodes better for stacking comp layers than a timeline model (BM in their text explaining the virtues of Fusion)? Maybe, but our customers are used to that.

b.) ... could be alarmed by this development, fearing that BM is cutting the ground from under their feet, slowly but surely luring their customers to their side. Becoming free obviously is no option for Adobe, so how can they react? They could become better than they already are, but how? Where? The answer: They have to become modern. They have to get rid of outworn concepts and find new ways. And hazard the near-term consequence to lose a substantial group of faithful veterans. Show a roadmap that leads somewhere. 

c.) ... may hope that BM will not survive their own policy. Who can say where the road goes? Where the day flows? Only time.

Adobe ...

a.) Nodes better for stacking comp layers than a timeline model (BM in their text explaining the virtues of Fusion)? Maybe, but our customers are used to that.

Nodes are wayyy better for complex compositing, that's why Fusion is used for a lot of compositing work instead of AE. Though timeline/layer based can do motion design better I think as you can more easily create complex timelines where Fusion might falter. 

I would switch away from Adobe except there is really no substitute yet for the Premiere / AE workflow and it's gotten even better in the newest release which lets me render&replace with a single click. Only problem is that the new UI looks like horseshit, especially with After Effects, hope they fix those blue keyframes and horrible comp icons. I can't make sense of anything anymore.

Nodes are wayyy better for complex compositing, that's why Fusion is used for a lot of compositing work instead of AE. Though timeline/layer based can do motion design better I think as you can more easily create complex timelines where Fusion might falter. 

The GUI-elements haven't necessarily anything to do with how a software works under the hood. So there is no reason why a rectangle representing a video clip should not also serve as a mini timeline, left side earlier, right side later. As I see it, this was the major misconception of everybody who was used to think in tracks (whereas there never was a model for tracks in the analog world, if not that of parallel partitions on an audio tape) when the trackless FCP X was released.

Does there really need to be an independant ruler (the composition's timeline) where loose clip selections are shoven back and forth? Open and earnest question: What is that actually good for?

Most Premiere users will state that the ease of the dynamic links is the most important advantage (besides the collection of effects and third party plugins that grows over the years). So what they want is indeed integration, not a bag full of independant, classic programs that need to be linked. There could be work spaces within one application, editing, compositing, color, sound. 

Now I'm just fabricating something. Maybe there are good reasons to keep things more separate. What I just say: There are no reasons to go on with old routines whose advantages nobody can explain. And from now on, there is yet another reason to wake up and make things better.

I havent used the Flow Layout in AE keep meaning to but never get around to it, so not sure how it compares to other node based workflows, but it cant be long before it does everything in a similar way.

Eventually, it has to have fully operational nodes. It may have no more layer comps at some time in the future.

The question is: When?

Stu Maschwitz asked for working nodes, seven years (!) ago.

The current Adobe help says on flowcharts:

Note:

The Flowchart panel shows you only the existing relationships. You cannot use it to change relationships between elements.

Get this: Adobe calls compositions, footage, blend modes and effects elements. Wow! Yet they deny to connect and modify these elements directly. It's back to the incomprehensible layer scheme with it's dreadful disclosure triangles, invented decades ago. You snooze, you lose.