Pseudo-anamorphic cgi voodoo

valid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Stills look great, would be interested in seeing the completed short.

I presume that for spherical shots, you are using Frischluft's Lenscare plug-in with an oval iris for defocus?
That plugin combined with animated masks can pretty quickly approximate the real anamorphic defocus look.

I use that process quite often, with a custom distortion/ CA script for when I'm blending composites together or integrating CG into a scene that is supposedly shot 'in-camera' anamorphic.

Looks good, make sure to post a link to the completed film when it's complete :)

Yeah frischluft is great. Also just the default Defocus/ZDefocus nodes in Nuke does the same thing for oval iris. I also simulated subtle anamorphic lens breathing during a focus pull too (just by animating horizontal and vertical stretch).

PS Here's a purely in-camera shot (Kowa B&H with a 28mm taking lens) that i used for reference '>

Which camera/ lenses are you using? how did you color grade too?

Shot on a BMCC with Samyang primes for the spherical stuff (16/2.2 and 35/1.5), and 28mm voigtlander with kowa bell & howell 2X for the anamorphic.

Colour-wise it's done in a cineon workflow (converting both rendered sRGB and blackmagic's log-gamma prores to cineon) - then graded with some film emulation luts and a bit of complementary highlight/shadow colour correction

Shot on a BMCC with Samyang primes for the spherical stuff (16/2.2 and 35/1.5), and 28mm voigtlander with kowa bell & howell 2X for the anamorphic.

Colour-wise it's done in a cineon workflow (converting both rendered sRGB and blackmagic's log-gamma prores to cineon) - then graded with some film emulation luts and a bit of complementary highlight/shadow colour correction

Looks great!

All looks great. With regards to the grading, which tool LUT did you use to convert BMD Film to Cineon?

first BMCC to Rec709 lut from blackmagic, and then rec709 to cineon conversion. Ideally I would have some kind of sRGB-to-BMDFilm or rec709-to-BMDFilm lut to avoid the cineon step (and just grade everything together as if it were BMCC footage) - but I haven't found such a thing...

Anyways back to the main point of this, The ones that I can tell are not used with an anamorphic lens are the ones that have an unnatural curvature. i saw that tutorial and the "myfish" with the orange light thingy is definitely non anamorphic. Can't tell from some of the wide shots, but for that one specifically, I dont think it is.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...