SIGMA fp Rec709 LUT & operations guide

OleB

Hi all and Happy Easter to you 🐰

most you know that I have invested quite some time to get the SIGMA fp "right", came a long journey over trying to understand ProRes RAW, cDNG and applying the ARRI colour scene to footage of it...

Ultimately I have worked in the last couple of weeks on own LUTs, which are keeping the colour science of the camera and additionally are mapping the full dynamic range potential of the camera into Rec709. 

Took a little bit different approach than common, because the LUTs are basically only tone mapping the dynamic range and do not add any further contrast, which in the end leaves a lot more material for grading. They are working with both Final Cut Pro and DaVinci Resolve, so both PRR and cDNG workflows are covered.

Below you will find the free download link as Easter gift 🥚 There is an operations guide included as well, which states what the LUTs are doing, plus tips and tricks, some graphics and last but not least, my recommendation in regard to adding contrast.

Hope the ones of you who still have this camera will find that useful, it is unlocking quite a bit of potential. Looking forward to hearing your comments, see your footage processed with it. 🙂

768628924_Bildschirmfoto2023-04-09um08_15_18.thumb.png.0ab24d3dea0b7c7abbd88aa3f7750768.png

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ab2oef3bn3mz1dx/SIGMA fp Rec709 LUT v2.zip?dl=0&fbclid=IwAR1tqT_N3uLbzJeM4s66G1841SFhwLsOxuFjnYtEdBxudYDrRgHMH0g7ig4

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
30 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Thanks for the work and effort! I'm looking forward to testing it out!

Do you know if it also works with Braw? Happy to send some test shots if you want. Just let me know what kind of footage will help.

Very welcome! 🙂 

I do not have a Video Assist available, so I cannot tell with certainty. But from my understanding only the Ninja V converts to V-Log on the fly, so the monitoring LUTs are tailored for that.

To understand how Braw works, I need to know to which format the VideoAssist is debayering the footage to for preview. Possibly, once we know that, I can compile that workflow to a monitoring LUT for that device afterwards.

First question, can the VideoAssist show the full highlight range at ISO 800?

Cheers

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

Awesome, would be cool, if some Sigma FP shooters like yourself @OleB  would show its power on some kewl nature stuff or footage of people with your findings.  @mercer posted some awesome screenshots with the cam in the lens section.

I had to get the camera technique out of the way first. Wanted to have a workflow on which I can rely on. Now I have it and am starting to produce footage. Have a lot of ideas. Once the next stuff is ready to show, I will do so here gladly.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

since I have had a lot of requests to do so, I have created a YouTube series about the LUTs and my SIGMA fp workflow.

Maybe that is a little more accessible than just a white paper (although there is now a v3 with updated LUTs included as welll)

Here is the link to episode 1. Latest episode is 5. Everything for free of course. 🙂

Maybe you enjoy watching this series. 🙂 

If you have questions, let me know.

Ole

• 1 month later...

The masterclass about the fp is now fully available on YouTube, if you wish to see all episodes in a row. 🤓

More interesting for most of you could be the following clip. These are my collected sample clips cut together as a proper video to showcase a little what the fp can do. 🙂