What cameras are you actually using?

kye

1 hour ago, FHDcrew said:

This is all very valid and yes we needed more BROLL for that project. Thankfullly I’m very happy with the AROLL so if AROLL is good and you screw up a bit on BROLL It’s fine 😂 

Ofcourse! I just did a small friendly comment. I am glad that you didn't gave it more gravity than it should!

These new Nikon cameras (and lenses, depending the lens of course) are for me the best value for money options right now in the mirrorless world.

A lot of friends now use the 24-120mm for all around video with excellent results.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
43 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Ofcourse! I just did a small friendly comment. I am glad that you didn't gave it more gravity than it should!

These new Nikon cameras (and lenses, depending the lens of course) are for me the best value for money options right now in the mirrorless world.

A lot of friends now use the 24-120mm for all around video with excellent results.

This is true, they are a great value. And I’ve spoke various times about how great the Z6 image is when used with an external recorder. Get a cheap 1080p Prores recorder and get oversampled 10-bit log video. I’m pretty pleased with how the 8 bit internal held up in this piece, however, except at some times I noticed some break-up in the skin due to the 8 bit and the fact that I recorded it in a very flat profile. For the AROLL, I just had a friend hold up a simple 5-in-1 reflector to diffuse the sun.  

On 4/10/2023 at 10:26 AM, Kisaha said:

What do you like in R7? What lenses do you use?

I bought one in the summer as well, but I have still to put it in the real world test..

Is the log footage easy to grade/edit?

Any issues with overheating?

Just a solid camera overall. Better colors IMO than the lumix cameras, good auto focus, good 4k codec etc. 

The DR is a stop or two less than the S1, but probably similar to the GH5s. A little bit worse in low light than the S1. 

For me it's kind of like a GH5 with more solid color and auto focus and no need for a speedbooster. Also been using it with a ND filter lens adapter, so been digging that too. Mainly been living with a Sigma 18-35 on it or a Canon L 70-200.

Technically I should aways go for the S1 because of the better DR and low light, but I keep finding myself go for the R7 because of the user experience 

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Nah I don't agree.. Nikon are in a coma.. at 2200€ for a Z6ii that can't even do internal log or 10-bit it's a hard no in 2023. Obviously an 8-bit cam is still usable and yeah it can do 10-bit external but best value it is not.

I do like the company so I hope they wake up and announce the much anticipated Z8 with a maximum Z9 features in a more affordable package.

Best value in FF has to be Panasonic with S5ii now that they've finally sorted out PDAF. Also nice they don't over charge here in EU like Canon & Sony are doing.

On 4/10/2023 at 8:37 AM, jpfilmz said:

This thread inspired me to break out the 5D3 and play with Magic Lantern Raw video again.  Took it with me to a shoot instead of the R5 and I forgot how great the old optical viewfinder is for photos.  Anyway, I shot some a lot of footage in 1920x1080 and in 3072x1308 and upscaled it to UHD in resolve.  I've missed this look.

This looks great, good job with the manual focus too. Kids playing soccer/football at shallow DoF isn't an easy task! Those kids were going pretty hard too, maybe USA has a shot with this next generation. 😉 

And yeah I shot a stills event on a 5DIV last week, it was years since I'd use an OVF professionally, and I absolutely LOVED it. To the point I'm thinking about grabbing a DSLR. 5DIII/5DIV or D780..

16 hours ago, Benjamin Hilton said:

Just a solid camera overall. Better colors IMO than the lumix cameras, good auto focus, good 4k codec etc. 

The DR is a stop or two less than the S1, but probably similar to the GH5s. A little bit worse in low light than the S1. 

For me it's kind of like a GH5 with more solid color and auto focus and no need for a speedbooster. Also been using it with a ND filter lens adapter, so been digging that too. Mainly been living with a Sigma 18-35 on it or a Canon L 70-200.

Technically I should aways go for the S1 because of the better DR and low light, but I keep finding myself go for the R7 because of the user experience 

That is my impression also, punches above its weight..

I too finding it very convenient with the EF ND adapter and usually putting a 18-135mm EF-S there. Also the 70-200mm 4f.

Thanks for confirming!

On 4/12/2023 at 4:03 AM, Kisaha said:

That is my impression also, punches above its weight..

I too finding it very convenient with the EF ND adapter and usually putting a 18-135mm EF-S there. Also the 70-200mm 4f.

Thanks for confirming!

This is a no budget show we produced with mainly using the S1 with a little a7C thrown in:

On 4/9/2023 at 9:53 PM, John Matthews said:

It's been a challenge to find relevant content on a second angle. Primarily, it's a backup, as I do with most of my gear. I use my iPad pro for taking notes and it's become the most essential part of my online classes, making them much more like one-to-one in person classes. I admit the GH2s are especially for dialing in my exposure and look. This way, I avoid the "webcam" hot highlights on my face- doubt my students care though... it's just me.

Thank you.