What cameras are you actually using?

kye

Well, I'm assistant editing with ARRI footage.  [name drop!]  

Seriously though, filming our own thing this month with a XPRO2, EM10III, iPhone, and a GH5.  I even used the old Canon 5DII the other day.  All over the map.  I guess you can throw in GoPro and DJI while we're at it.  7 camera manufactures, one project.  Also, all the different lenses we've been using are ridiculous.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

I gave you a like for your unusual choice @Rinad Amir of camera. Noooot:) But for the Konica 35-100 F2.8 which you might have combined with it, which a I got because of your recommendation. Best direct lens recommendation I got, besides my 8EUR Tokina 25-50 F4 from @andy lee, one of Eoshds lens connoisseurs.

I put my Fs700 to a bit of use for some additional income, in HD 420 mostly. S1 got a little share of that. GX85 my eternal love, awesome beautiful image taker and camera. Sony PMW F3 waiting to get any use:) BMMCC used for some camera enjoyment. 5D2 and 3 to test which one is cooler for raw video and hopefully not collecting dust with the F3. Second FS700 never used, collecting dust. BMPCC og collecting dust. I am a dust collector like my lenes. Don´t start me on lenses:) Still got a G7, Oly Pen EP2 and E-PL1 🙂 

Looking forward to see some (moving) images from your beauties. 🙂 @Ty Harper @majoraxis

Welcome back to the forum @kye 🙂  

I forgot to mention my glasses 😅

24-70gm ii

50mm 1.4gm

35mm 1.8  so yah 🤣

Having been a confirmed (amateur) Panasonic micro4/3 user for years, I dipped a toe in the Olympus world after the OM-1 came out and the used prices for the E-M1 iii dropped dramatically.

My Pana G9 beats it hands-down for basic video quality, but for me the E-M1 iii is such a nice camera hold and use (it fits my hands perfectly) that it's become the camera I take out most often. Battery life is excellent, as is the (adjustable strength) IBIS. You get used to the menus eventually...

The GX85 is another 'feels great in the hand' camera, so my usual travel cam is a GX85 with an Oly 14-150mm lens (overall smaller than some actual 'superzoom' cameras), and the G9 is the 'max video quality' and 4k50p option.

(Also got a cupboard full of other Panasonic cameras - G80, GX800, G6, LX100, LX7, and far too many lenses! )

8 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

Having been a confirmed (amateur) Panasonic micro4/3 user for years, I dipped a toe in the Olympus world after the OM-1 came out and the used prices for the E-M1 iii dropped dramatically.

My Pana G9 beats it hands-down for basic video quality, but for me the E-M1 iii is such a nice camera hold and use (it fits my hands perfectly) that it's become the camera I take out most often. Battery life is excellent, as is the (adjustable strength) IBIS. You get used to the menus eventually...

The GX85 is another 'feels great in the hand' camera, so my usual travel cam is a GX85 with an Oly 14-150mm lens (overall smaller than some actual 'superzoom' cameras), and the G9 is the 'max video quality' and 4k50p option.

(Also got a cupboard full of other Panasonic cameras - G80, GX800, G6, LX100, LX7, and far too many lenses! )

I took out the GH6 today on my annual Easter egg hunt... basically it was the same conditions as last year when I took out the E-M5 iii. The footage was similar on both cameras, but I'd give the overall image results to the GH6 due to dynamic range (DR boost on and V-LOG versus flat on the Olympus). The AF had fewer misses with the E-M5 iii (continuous on both). IBIS was probably a draw. I should also note that my footage seemed good on the Olympus because I wasn't operating 2 cameras at the same time (G100 with selfie grip for photos in the left hand and GH6 in the right hand for video). I find that "hybrid shooting" just means you get some good videos and some good photos of the moment, but never both and that's why I'm moving into one-handed cameras now.

For my own purposes I am still with BM Pocket (2K, the 1st generation), and (when 4K is needed) the GX85, both paired with stabilized Lumix G X 14-42/3.5-5.6 or, for low light, PanaLeica Nocticron 42.5/1.2. My students use different gear, some "professional", some latest and "greatest". Personally, unless you are in film or TV industry, the gear does not much matter, as long as you have a story to tell, light to follow and angle to shoot from. The rest is good editing of motion and sound. 😊

On 4/5/2023 at 11:28 AM, John Matthews said:

I still use 2 GH2's for live 1080p 25fps stuff... English classes that I get paid for. Super happy with them and they seem good enough when used with an ATEM Mini. For personal stuff, I use the GH6 and a G100 for travel. I'll be selling my E-M1 ii this next week if I can get 400-ish Euros for it. The rest of my cameras are either film or just broken broken.

Just out of curiosity and as a fellow teacher, how are you implementing two cameras for an English class?

14 hours ago, John Matthews said:

I find that "hybrid shooting" just means you get some good videos and some good photos of the moment, but never both and that's why I'm moving into one-handed cameras now.

With one-handed cameras are you now taking stills and video of the same moment simultaneously?  I only do video but often feel the desire to be getting multiple FOVs simultaneously (beyond what the tech can do with cropping in post).  

Just a week ago I was on a pier at night taking shots of the waterfront buildings and their reflections in the water when the people just near me started letting off a small hand-held firework, which was juuuuuust too wide a shot to fit into the frame on the GX85 + 14mm combo I was shooting with (~30mm equivalent), so while continuing to record with the GX85 I pulled out my iPhone and tried to also capture the scene with that camera with my other hand.  Naturally, I screwed up the iPhone footage and almost screwed up the GX85 shot too because I wasn't keeping the frame steady and it was already not fitting in the frame.  I haven't found that file in post yet (I'm mostly through pulling selects from the 5h22m of footage from the trip), and I didn't review it that night because we were leaving the next day and I started to pack instead of taking time to review my dailies.

When we're all shooting with 1000Mbps 8K cameras then I'll be able to put on a super-wide and then crop a 1080p frame for the normal and mild-tele in post, but until then I can't get all three from the same file.

6 hours ago, EduPortas said:

Just out of curiosity and as a fellow teacher, how are you implementing two cameras for an English class?

It's been a challenge to find relevant content on a second angle. Primarily, it's a backup, as I do with most of my gear. I use my iPad pro for taking notes and it's become the most essential part of my online classes, making them much more like one-to-one in person classes. I admit the GH2s are especially for dialing in my exposure and look. This way, I avoid the "webcam" hot highlights on my face- doubt my students care though... it's just me.

5 minutes ago, kye said:

With one-handed cameras are you now taking stills and video of the same moment simultaneously?  I only do video but often feel the desire to be getting multiple FOVs simultaneously (beyond what the tech can do with cropping in post).  

Just a week ago I was on a pier at night taking shots of the waterfront buildings and their reflections in the water when the people just near me started letting off a small hand-held firework, which was juuuuuust too wide a shot to fit into the frame on the GX85 + 14mm combo I was shooting with (~30mm equivalent), so while continuing to record with the GX85 I pulled out my iPhone and tried to also capture the scene with that camera with my other hand.  Naturally, I screwed up the iPhone footage and almost screwed up the GX85 shot too because I wasn't keeping the frame steady and it was already not fitting in the frame.  I haven't found that file in post yet (I'm mostly through pulling selects from the 5h22m of footage from the trip), and I didn't review it that night because we were leaving the next day and I started to pack instead of taking time to review my dailies.

When we're all shooting with 1000Mbps 8K cameras then I'll be able to put on a super-wide and then crop a 1080p frame for the normal and mild-tele in post, but until then I can't get all three from the same file.

Yes, I use 2 cameras for the possibility of stills, which are less important to me, but still important. I just haven't found a way to capture a moment without using 2 cameras. I used the GH6 with the Pany 9mm and the G100 with the Oly 17mm Pro. I find the setup is still too heavy for 25+ minutes. My NDs are also too big and heavy. The GH6 grip and the tripod grip for the G100 saved the day. Once again, here's another case for small cameras and lenses.

This thread inspired me to break out the 5D3 and play with Magic Lantern Raw video again.  Took it with me to a shoot instead of the R5 and I forgot how great the old optical viewfinder is for photos.  Anyway, I shot some a lot of footage in 1920x1080 and in 3072x1308 and upscaled it to UHD in resolve.  I've missed this look.

IMG_9414.thumb.jpg.2bf5198fca68ef1cea76cbcf7742a178.jpg

Doing tons of work with our two GH5s and an S1 still. With our current color pipeline in post, they hold up very well. I even through in a G85 every once and a while when needed and it holds up great in certain situations. We also bought a Canon R7 this last year to do a long distance doc when we just needed another body. Honestly I would trade out all my cameras for more versions of that if I could, it's a really solid system for the price. When needed we through in some gorpo and iphone footage for specific things.  

1 hour ago, Benjamin Hilton said:

Doing tons of work with our two GH5s and an S1 still. With our current color pipeline in post, they hold up very well. I even through in a G85 every once and a while when needed and it holds up great in certain situations. We also bought a Canon R7 this last year to do a long distance doc when we just needed another body. Honestly I would trade out all my cameras for more versions of that if I could, it's a really solid system for the price. When needed we through in some gorpo and iphone footage for specific things.  

What do you like in R7? What lenses do you use?

I bought one in the summer as well, but I have still to put it in the real world test..

Is the log footage easy to grade/edit?

Any issues with overheating?

19 minutes ago, FHDcrew said:

Nikon Z6, 8-bit internal 4k 24p, Nikon FLAT with iDynamic set to High

Nice edit.  Simple, but mostly friction-free.  The dialogue was free-flowing too, so perhaps the subject was relaxed and concise or you made some nice edits.  Either way is a good thing, being able to interview properly is a skill I know I don't have!

Very good and nice image, but needed some more B roll obviously. Just a couple of kicks and a helmet-wearing. Also the transition between two similar headshots with a different color to the second one is kind of weird. Maybe going super close up (not spaghetti western close up! Just head and shoulders) for the smile-shot in the same shot before the end, would have been more appropriate.

As of the camera, I know a lot of people using Nikon for weddings or simple corporate or other videos. Here, some mkII kits are slightly more expensive than the Canon R8 body(!) and there are continuously rebates or some kind of incredible offer..

They have great priced kits with various lenses, a lot of people choose the 24-120mm and they have it all..

Very tempting..

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh, camera change!

Nothing new, just going back to my old (used) set up.

I had just purchased another S1H to go with the one I already had, plus an S5ii...and was in the process of selling my pair of S1R's but...

The 'new' S1H has some issues so is going back and after 2 jobs this season, realised 4 cameras with the lenses available in L Mount, is better than 3 cameras.

Oh well, back to what works because as they say, if it ain't broke...

The only system I can do a 3 camera set up is Sony + Tamron, but then I'd have to make a YouTube video, "Why I Switched".

• Super Members
On 4/10/2023 at 8:37 AM, jpfilmz said:

This thread inspired me to break out the 5D3 and play with Magic Lantern Raw video again.

Your post will probably inspire a lot of people to seek out a used 5D3 and do the same.

I particularly enjoyed the incorporation of what looks to be the ancient lost art of sticking it on a tripod.

We shoot mostly with Ursa Pro 4.6k's (gen1) at work, with a 6k Pro for pick-up and gimbal shots. I still use my Pocket 4K for personal use, looking at a S5 II for home video's and personal photography. We're currently waiting to see what Blackmagic is doing with their new mount before upgrading anything.

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Very good and nice image, but needed some more B roll obviously. Just a couple of kicks and a helmet-wearing. Also the transition between two similar headshots with a different color to the second one is kind of weird. Maybe going super close up (not spaghetti western close up! Just head and shoulders) for the smile-shot in the same shot before the end, would have been more appropriate.

As of the camera, I know a lot of people using Nikon for weddings or simple corporate or other videos. Here, some mkII kits are slightly more expensive than the Canon R8 body(!) and there are continuously rebates or some kind of incredible offer..

They have great priced kits with various lenses, a lot of people choose the 24-120mm and they have it all..

Very tempting..

This is all very valid and yes we needed more BROLL for that project. Thankfullly I’m very happy with the AROLL so if AROLL is good and you screw up a bit on BROLL It’s fine 😂