What cameras are you actually using?

kye

I'm curious to know what cameras people are actually using?

By reading the forums I get the impression that everyone is using the latest and (so called) greatest cameras, but I suspect that's not the case.  I haven't been posting lately because I've gotten the impression that no-one would be interested unless I was pixel-peeing a Z9 or whatever, and I've moved past that now.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Only one ‘latest & greatest’ in my current arsenal and that is the S5ii for the AF ya know.

The rest, bought used, a pair of S1H’s, though the latest has a sticky wheel so I may trade it back for one of my (also bought used) S1R’s that have not yet reached the no point of return regarding their sale…

Speaking of ‘latest & greatest’, I am ‘interested’ to see what L Mount produces FF next, whether that be Leica, Sigma or old Pannyboy himself, but not ‘waiting’ on anything.

Good to see you back @kye I was wondering where you’d gone…

6 hours ago, kye said:

By reading the forums I get the impression that everyone is using the latest and (so called) greatest cameras, but I suspect that's not the case.  I haven't been posting lately because I've gotten the impression that no-one would be interested unless I was pixel-peeing a Z9 or whatever, and I've moved past that now.

Right now I'm shooting with two Lumix S5 bodies and a GH5. I don't intend to "upgrade" anytime soon. Before getting a second S5 I was still using a G85 and GX85! I do miss the GX85 though, it was so nice to have such a tiny camera with good video quality. I might end up getting another one, we'll see.

Welcome back! To be honest I wish there were more threads about things that weren't about the latest cameras!

20 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

Aida HD for Teams meetings…

P4k for work related videos.

P6k for fun.

Photographs - primarily iPhone, occasionally A6000.

Any reason why you use the P4K over the P6K for work?

I am using a Nikon Z6 with either an Atomos Ninja V or an Atomos Ninja Star. Mostly shooting oversampled 1080p out of the HDMI port. By setting the rec setting to 4k and HDMI out to 1080p. I use the ninja v when I am doing interviews or lighting stuff so I can take advantage of LUT monitoring and waveforms, etc. For run-and-fun BROLL though I usually use the Ninja Star. Keeps the setup light and small. 

As for lenses, to be honest I currently only have a Tamron 45mm 1.8 F-mount lens using the Nikon FTZ adapter. Looking to explains, however, and am strongly considering the Viltrox 24mm 1.8Z. Or maybe I will go with an f-mount Nikon 16-35 f4 as a nice affordable autofocus-capable ultra wide. 

F2375467-25CA-4A47-87F4-1AFA4F6D11CF.jpeg

6794DA16-5240-4D87-AB1A-9B867A3C2036.jpeg

7 hours ago, kye said:

I miss your posts and would rather read them over constant S5II Z9 talk. 

For work, I use the Sony FS7mk2 and FX30. Before I purchased the FX30, the second camera was the FS700.

For causal photography, I use the Fujifilm X-E4. Such a lovely experience.

Before covid I used the Sony A7mk3, but I sold it after there was no photo jobs at all. I still keep my Nikon D810 though. It's ancient, yet still takes beautiful photos. And I wouldn't sell it because of all the memories we shared. Probably the only camera I refuse to sell.

I still use 2 GH2's for live 1080p 25fps stuff... English classes that I get paid for. Super happy with them and they seem good enough when used with an ATEM Mini. For personal stuff, I use the GH6 and a G100 for travel. I'll be selling my E-M1 ii this next week if I can get 400-ish Euros for it. The rest of my cameras are either film or just broken broken.

1 minute ago, John Matthews said:

I still use 2 GH2's for live 1080p 25fps stuff... English classes that I get paid for. Super happy with them and they seem good enough when used with an ATEM Mini. For personal stuff, I use the GH6 and a G100 for travel. I'll be selling my E-M1 ii this next week if I can get 400-ish Euros for it. The rest of my cameras are either film or just broken broken.

Very awesome kit!  The GH2's are so killer for the price!  GH1's as well, you can get them for under $100 if you look hard enough!  Such a nice 1080p image from those older Lumix MFT cams, back when I used a Panasonic G7 as my main camera I always liked the mojo I got from the 1080p image, despite it being pixel binned and a low bitrate it had surprisingly good detail and held up well all things considered.  Would often use it instead of 4k to save filespace, and I always was happy with the results!

Hey Kye, hope all is well!

This is a great thread and I feel this way a lot. I haven't bought a new camera body in awhile, just been refining the packages for what I have.

I haven't been filming much lately, but don't have any of the latest or greatest.

Currently own/use:

Nikon z5, (2) Samsung nx1's, samsung nx500, Panasonic g9, (2) black magic pocket OG's, Panasonic gx85, Nikon d800, Contax g1.

The z5 and G1 have been my primary stills/fun cameras.

nx1's and the nx500 are still my main video package.

Been building up the pocket camera package for a bit.

G9 has been awesome while I've had it.

gx85 is mainly hooked up to my computer as a way overkill webcam.

D800 has been kept because it still delivers the goods and can take advantage or the older/screwmount Nikon Glass I have.