3-Axis Brushless Gimbal Stabilizer: buy or alternative?

JazzBox

The footage looks good enough to me. I'd much rather get one of these small stabilizers, since I don't have a crew or anything. But I've seen these mentioned for years, and they never materialize. I'm sure the price will still be between $700-$800.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

​Manufacturer's name is PilotFly. You can check their work in their facebook
page. https://www.facebook.com/pilotflytech

PilotFly: "The official version is expected to begin shipping in mid-March.
we will announce the price soon."

if this this very unobtrusive gimbal (nonetheless able to handle mirrorless SLR cameras)
is offered at about the same price as the Feiyu, it will become a must for handheld filmmaking.
Imagine the image crispness after the micro-stabilization insured by the internal floating
frame of a Sony a7-II or Olypus E-M5 II...
Thank you utkanhede.

I found this in a post published last month over at Newsshooter. A 3-axis brushless gimbal stabilizer, the Nebula 4000, which is sold from the USA with free worldwide delivery by DHL or FedEx. It is the very first small handheld stabilizer I've seen that is available NOW and costs $700. I believe it is all-metal construction. Although the videos posted on YouTube by other users look rather smooth, in those by Dan Chung, you can clearly see jitter from his footsteps. Still, since I don't have the luxury of working with a film crew, I am much more likely to use something I can throw in my bag than a large contraption weighing several pounds that must be carried in a suitcase. The gimbal is designed to work with cameras like the Sony A7S and Lumix GH4.

IMG_1864-389x600.jpg

I would much rather have the smaller one hand held ones posted.

If you think about it for $2245 you can buy the Nibula 4000 for $700 and have $1545 left to buy a small 4k camera like the NX500 or Black magic pocket or the other brand coming out should let you use a NX1 or GH4 all for that same price and more easy and less pounds to deal with. Or get the $400 version and a 4k Gopro for $1000

http://copter-rc.com/en/catalog/35-pilotfly-funnygo-bt-3axis-stabilizer-for-gopro-3-4.html

I see they have a price now on this new one of $749 was hoping it would be less VS the 4000

http://copter-rc.com/en/catalog/60-pilotfly-h1-microdslr-3asix-stabilizer.html

4K shooter wrote a blog for MOZA MOZA camera stabilizer comes with a multi-functional wireless thumb controller which allows a single operator to directly control the camera and movements of the gimbal. It clamps directly to the existing handlebar and connects via 2.4GHz wireless to MOZA. 

The complete system including the MOZA gimbal, stand, thumb controller, built-in transmitter and intelligent battery with charger retails for $2,245.00 and is available at Gudsen and through Gudsen’ dealers worldwide. Gudsen also includes free shipping on direct sales.

​It does look like an interesting combination but personally I find it too heavy :/ (I think it is 3.2 kg with battery / accessories). So add 1.5kg for a decent camera with a nice lens, and it starts being a problem... :/  Unless it is really just a few shots here and there... 

If you think about it for $2245 you can buy the Nibula 4000 for $700 and have $1545 left to buy a small 4k camera like the NX500 or Black magic pocket or the other brand coming out should let you use a NX1 or GH4 all for that same price and more easy and less pounds to deal with. Or get the $400 version and a 4k Gopro for $1000

http://copter-rc.com/en/catalog/35-pilotfly-funnygo-bt-3axis-stabilizer-for-gopro-3-4.html

I see they have a price now on this new one of $749 was hoping it would be less VS the 4000

​I would like to agree with you Ed, but for now the footage I saw from the nebula doesn't look very natural (you can tell when someone is walking for ex.). And it's also very much time consuming to calibrate.

I would spend 2k for a 3axis gimbal under 2kg, with auto calibration, and 2k load.

But I love these small gimbals for urban work. It can be very cool, if they only made it easier to work with and better overall. 

​Ah! Good find. I was wondering about that one. That demo video that was posted a while back looked very promising. With a lot of these stabilizers there's some obvious vibe that there's a gimbal involved. Motion looks digitally corrected, it just doesn't 'flow' very well, whereas the Pilotfly had a pretty organic feel to it. Someone should do a shootout and compare some of these things head-to-head.

Anyways, for the time I'll hold off on buying one. Like you said, 700-ish... not sure. And there's bound to be more like this out there in the next months, with new features and sub 500 USD pricing. No rush here.

​I should say  MOZA is lighter than DJI. It can work perfectly with Canon 5D and Sony A7 as well as GH4. 

However, Gudsen has thought of the weight and working time, and is working on the light version which is about 2kg.

​But that's the thing: the dji is crazy heavy :o  Espescially compared to the Movi (although in terms of price range they aren't in the same category). 

I'll be following MOZA/Gudsen work on a lighter gimbal.

I think (like a lot of person actually) that today the gimbals are really split - or should be - between two categories: the one you'll use for you DSLR (which now are super light: NX1, GH4, A7S), and the other ones you'll use for REDs, FS7, Alexa, etc. - which require a much higher carrying capacity.

Personally a gimbal that can handle a 2kg camera+lens combo is more than fine for my dslr (NX1/GH4). That should really cover 90% of the amateur/semi pro/dslr needs. And for that I will want the gimbal to be super light and under 1500$ - otherwise I might also be looking into a nebula 4000 and such. 

However for a heavier camera (RED, etc.) the MOZA isn't compatible. So I think its a shame because then I would have to rent a MOVI. But still have bought a 2K gimbal... 

And it's also a shame because with all its features (wireless HDMI), and wireless remote for an assistant camera, the Moza has a great potential. But it is either too heavy for DSLR work, or not able to carry heavier cameras for professional work. That being said I really think it's great to see a new competitor with really nice and new features - that is why I will definitely follow gudsen/moza products - but for now will also be looking at defy and such.

I thought this looked good from the 4000

​It's great work ! Especially considering the price / size of the gimbal. But I still have the feeling that it lacks the natural motion of more expensive gimbals... But maybe I am being too critical I don't know... I can feel the person walking, whereas with a DJI / Movi, I feel like the camera is magically "sliding"/flying...

​That's still a great price when compared to the $2000 alternatives. I'm *this* close to ordering one for my LX100.  These guys have been making gimbals longer than the Nebula, hopefully the units are better sorted.

I'll just quote this from the other topic...

Pilotfly GH4+12-35mm pre-production test footage

Looks really good!

Compare that to that Erik Naso video with the Nebula 4000. You thought that looked fine. Well, here the Pilotfly just seem to handle motion like a boss. It's kind of like... eh... like... eh, what am I looking for here...

Ah yes, Doakes, thanks. Kinda like that indeed.

I love the idea of small gimbals and think that the Nebula and Pilotfly's look both amazing. Sadly the load weight should def go up to 2kg. I mainly use a lens that's almost 1kg by itself. Then a camera on top of that which is probably only 4-500grams. 

Hopefully we'll see some really cool stuff at NAB.

I've been flying my EM5II on a cheap-o $30 stabilizer for a few days.  I find it VERY useable for me.  Impressively smooth drifting shots on the wider lenses. 

Trade off:  Not the cleanest video on the market with the EM5II.  5-axis sensor shift overcompensation if too drastic of a pan.  Have to stay disciplined with movement.  

Advantages:  New cam and stabilizer for less than the cost of many gimbal rigs alone.  Having another cam, especially the EM5II is a nice bonus.

It all depends on what you're trying to do I suppose and the IQ you can accept.  Really, if I wasn't a guy that can't seem to avoid "new-camera-syndrome," I probably could've just bought a used EM5 for less than $500 and made do quite well with that.

Anyway, I know I mentioned this before, but it's always good to consider options for such a speciality kind of a shot.  I mean, let's face it, not too many productions we're doing call for majority of fly-cam stuff.  At least not for me.  Typically, I'll sneak a few shots into my productions, but that's it.

I have been following the Nebula 4000 thread over at DVXUser. It gets good results when it works, but a lot of people have been having trouble with theirs (and then trouble getting a refund, in some cases getting to the point where the retailer was getting verbally abusive). I would definitely take a look at that thread before buying one: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?330675-Micro-Gimbal-for-GH4-BMPCC-A7s-699-USD

I've been flying my EM5II on a cheap-o $30 stabilizer for a few days.  I find it VERY useable for me.  Impressively smooth drifting shots on the wider lenses. 

Trade off:  Not the cleanest video on the market with the EM5II.  5-axis sensor shift overcompensation if too drastic of a pan.  Have to stay disciplined with movement.  

Advantages:  New cam and stabilizer for less than the cost of many gimbal rigs alone.  Having another cam, especially the EM5II is a nice bonus.

It all depends on what you're trying to do I suppose and the IQ you can accept.  Really, if I wasn't a guy that can't seem to avoid "new-camera-syndrome," I probably could've just bought a used EM5 for less than $500 and made do quite well with that.

Anyway, I know I mentioned this before, but it's always good to consider options for such a speciality kind of a shot.  I mean, let's face it, not too many productions we're doing call for majority of fly-cam stuff.  At least not for me.  Typically, I'll sneak a few shots into my productions, but that's it.

If you ever feel like posting a vid of your EM5 ii plus $30 stabilizer in action I'd like to see what it's capable of. I suppose as you get more practice with it the results will get even better.

I have a Nebula 4000.  Below is the most popular video I put up using it.  I also have some setup videos at YouTube. With enough battery power, good motors, and framing, you can fly almost any camera on a gimbal.  HOWEVER, and this is a big however, if you're looking to fly a big camera on a small or inexpensive gimbal, you're going to have to learn how to balance the camera REALLY WELL and how to modify PID settings to make the gimbal handle the camera's weight.  When a camera is perfectly balanced on a small gimbal, it can work wonders.  When the camera isn't balanced well, or goes out of balance because you move the lens, or your IMU goes out of calibration, then you have to really THINK about what you're doing.  Anyone who wants to get a stabilizer should watch some video at http://www.simplebgc.org/ so they know what they're getting into.  Some of the images above of stabilizers that are coming out are pipe-dreams IMHO.

A lot of people are waiting for a perfect small stabilizer at NAB.  I don't see it coming.  Yes, the Nebula 4000 has a lot of shortcomings and is in need of many updates.  But the physics remain the same.  Any battery small enough to stabilize a large camera will need to have the camera perfectly balanced at all times.  It if can't, the motors will struggle, the frame vibrate, and unpleasant things happen.

That said, stabilizers are improving over time.  I just believe it is one to two years before they become really stable (pun intended) and easy to adjust (for walking, etc).

I love the A6000 on the Nebula 4000.  That is my main setup now and I believe will be for quite some time.  I found the GH4 too bulky for the Nebula and it's auto-focus not close to what the A6000 can do.  That's another thing to keep in mind.  You can't manually focus on a small stabilizer without throwing it out of balance.  

Surprisingly, what I value most about the stabilizer isn't the walking around, though that's nice, it's that the stabilizer is like an auto-tripod.  At whatever height you hold the Nebula, it creates a look of being on a dolly tripod with just the right amount of movement.