Lighting Help

RamblinR

Doing a talking head in a couple of weeks and I don't own any lighting.  Hoping I won't need any but as I'm unsure of the lighting at one place (which is a distance away) I think it best I have some lights in case they are needed.

I have been doing some homework.  Looking at the Yongnou YN-160, YN300 and YN600 for battery operated or looking at the following (see link) but I have no idea how bright they are as it talks only in watts and I want f/stops, shutter speed and iSO.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301379488501?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Does anyone have any idea of how bright these will be?

Are they any good?

Would the Yongnou be brighter/better?

Something else (not too expensive please)

Couldn't seem to find posts on lighting so if there is one point the direction. 

As I'm shooting m43 I'm thinking I could work with f4, 1/50 and would like to keep the ISO reasonable.

Andy had suggested Red Heads but I would rather not have hot lights.

Thanks for helping.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

the famous low light scene from Barry Lyndon. was shot with candles ! I don't recomend you try that for your talking head job! haha!

I still would use red heads with Lee diffusion on the front of the barn doors

that big LED soft box you your ebay link looks very nice , Im sure it will do the job too and its cheap ..try it

stick it right behind the camera and away you go!!

As I'm shooting m43 I'm thinking I could work with f4, 1/50 and would like to keep the ISO reasonable.

Im guessing with one led soft box as the sole lighting source you will be about around f2.8 @ 1/50 sec at 800iso

I shot something similar 2 days ago with Andrew Roachford for a commercial using kinoflos and I was at f4 1/50 400iso , but Kinos are abit brighter than a soft box

I find on talking heads you need a decent depth of field or it looks too arty farty if its a really shallow dof

so you need to be f4 at least - so to get f4 you need a good amount of light so you are not having to use high iso

(I dont like going over 400 iso unless I really have to)

So red heads have the light power you will need. to get that stop .....yes they get hot but they are very good!!

Excuse me if I add a question to this topic, but could you explain me how to "convert" LED watts to fresnel / tungsten watts? 

For instance, I saw this insanely cheap lights: 

http://www.leroymerlin.it/catalogo/illuminazione/proiettori-da-esterno/proiettore-tanko-nero-150-w-34292965-p

http://www.leroymerlin.it/catalogo/illuminazione/proiettori-da-esterno/proiettore-yonkers-alluminio-10-w-34950860-p

Would they be useful for a cheap set or do I need something more powerful? :)

Thank you!

I have a somewhat similar CFL setup that I use a lot in tight spaces where hot lights are not really an option. If you're able to get near a window, two 5-bulb softboxes should definitely be able to get you f/4 at a decent ISO. Get one softbox as reasonably close to the subject as you can for key light and put the other one slightly behind him for some back light and you should be good to go.

Another review of the Linco Flora lights.

There is a 'Flora Light Distance Chart' about half way through the review that shows ISO, F/stop etc

http://www.lightingrumours.com/flora-light-best-continuous-fluorescent-lighting-system-926#.VF1tAUvL5Fw

Miraud - I expect a white balance before shooting would fix white balance problems?

I don't think I want to work with hot lights.

I think these could also be useful for stills photography with m43 gear (good DOF)

How many watts are necessary for a normal interior/exterior work?

Could you explain me how to measure LED watts compared to traditional watts?
I ask you because it's difficult for me to understand how many watts I need for a set to work with, reading just the specs on ebay/amazon.

Thank you very much!

Jazzbox ... I find watts confusing also in regard to brightness for camera work.

If you click on the link in my post above yours you can get an idea of brightness of these 85 watt CFL globes (go to the table about half way down)

Note the 85 watts for a CFL globe is different to a normal globe so you need to take that into account for whatever you are looking at.

Maybe this can be of some help. He is using six globes in a soft box.

Could you explain me how to measure LED watts compared to traditional watts?
I ask you because it's difficult for me to understand how many watts I need for a set to work with, reading just the specs on ebay/amazon.

Here is a thread on this topic with links to videos where a guy from ARRI explains difference between various types of lights

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

To the OP, I have a couple of Yongnou YN300 daylight. I am very happy with them. They may not be the most colour accurate lights in the world, but they can work. You will probably put a film emulation or CC anyway. If you want the purest skin tones, you should better work outdoors. 

I also have a soft box with Ikea LED lamps. I work for a meat company and meat needs to be cold or it change colours. But the soft box is a PITA to move, transport, etc. The couple of YN300 with some serious batteries (than seem to last forever) just take like 20% of a normal backpack. 

To JazzBox, lamps produce lumens, not watts. It also depends what you must do with the light. When they use a lamp to fake the sun, they put a 5-10KW HMI. That's a lot of light!