Fx30

SRV1981

Mr Stevie Ray Vaughn, please just post a video you have made at some point in your life. Discussing minute technical details about different cameras gets very boring quickly. It would just be easier to recommend something if we knew what you would like to achieve yourself.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
48 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

@SRV1981 My cheek in tongue tone was not necessary. After all I can choose what to read and what to comment on. I could have recognized the joy of dicussion instead. I will just do that now. sorry for sounding so harsh. Enough stuff for everyone to choose from. I have not posted my own stuff for ages btw.🙂  

Really appreciate it. I value your input.  I’m not a pro. I’m using for personal use but an analytical person into many different areas.  Love reading through the board.  I pose questions I’m curious about because I don’t know the answer and enjoy reading the banter between members. I’ve learned so much. I’ve made videos for students and athletes I work with etc and they enjoy it. The quality has improved from reading here.  We all need community hence why we join forums etc. 

that said, a lot of good comments here, aside from the snark, and appreciated ! The fx30 sounds like a great a cam for folks like me who do run and gun with no formal lighting, may not be a lowlight monster, or a b cam for studio work or a bigger crew.  S5II and xh2s seem like worthy competitors.  The BMPCC stuff doesn’t seem geared to single shooters when the aforementioned cameras exist. 

6 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

that said, a lot of good comments here, aside from the snark, and appreciated ! The fx30 sounds like a great a cam for folks like me who do run and gun with no formal lighting, may not be a lowlight monster, or a b cam for studio work or a bigger crew.

From a historical big picture perspective then the FX30 is a lowlight MONSTER!  

And for single cam productions, then yeah even "studio work or a bigger crew" then the FX30 makes sense as a B Cam. (certainly is so when compared to say the Fujifilm or Panasonic mirrorless, or even the Blackmagic Pocket)

33 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

And for single cam productions, then yeah even "studio work or a bigger crew" then the FX30 makes sense as a B Cam. (certainly is so when compared to say the Fujifilm or Panasonic mirrorless, or even the Blackmagic Pocket)

Would estimate it to be one stop less sensitive than the Lumix S series, which is indeed a treat.

19 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Would estimate it to be one stop less sensitive than the Lumix S series, which is indeed a treat.

53 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Who would you see an fx30 for versus an S5II? What are the customers that each are best suited for?

Ironfilm and others with some working experience with Sony give arguments for using the FX30 in an Sony eco system of larger cameras, making it a good Bcam to a FS7 or FX6. Timcode.

S52 has a mechanical shutter, EVF,  making it a great photo camera also besides being a great video camera. It sports 10bit 4k60p in S35 just like the FX30. The S5ii also comes with the additional benefit of full frame 6K open gate up to 30p, anamorphic modes .. And a swivel screen.:)

FX30 has much chunkier (ALL-I) codecs going up to 600mbps vs 200mbps on S5ii. It has 15ms RS vs 22ms on S5ii. It's AF is class-leading. And I believe it is Netflix approved which is always something to consider. Oh and it also has a swivel screen:

Sony_FX30_screen.jpeg

But yeah in the end you do have to look at the eco-system that makes most sense to you. Bodies come & go, lenses is usually what locks you in the long run..

1 hour ago, Django said:

FX30 has much chunkier (ALL-I) codecs going up to 600mbps vs 200mbps on S5ii. It has 15ms RS vs 22ms on S5ii. It's AF is class-leading. And I believe it is Netflix approved which is always something to consider. Oh and it also has a swivel screen:

Sony_FX30_screen.jpeg

But yeah in the end you do have to look at the eco-system that makes most sense to you. Bodies come & go, lenses is usually what locks you in the long run..

Yea makes sense.  Looking at the history and trajectory it seems that Sony is the better investment. Maybe an APSC zoom  and full frame prime for low light 

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

A so called "full frame" prime will not behave any differently than a S35 prime. 

Correct - just brainstorming - get at least 1 lens that’s full frame for your apsc camera for future when or if you get a full frame then you already have glass. 

On 3/25/2023 at 12:39 AM, Django said:

FX30 has much chunkier (ALL-I) codecs going up to 600mbps vs 200mbps on S5ii. It has 15ms RS vs 22ms on S5ii. It's AF is class-leading. And I believe it is Netflix approved which is always something to consider.

FX3 is Netflix approved FX30 is not or not yet: https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000579527-Cameras-Image-Capture-Requirements-and-Best-Practices#h_01G6KEYFG76GRKVMJS382H5638

I would take FX30 or FX3 over Pana S5ii for the lens selection alone.

4 hours ago, Emanuel said:

All looks fine but 4K 120fps crop pops terrible under low light, that's my beef with and bet on R5C instead : ) Hence I didn't pull the trigger...

Yes, the fx30 120p 4K is noisy because of the crop. fx3 120p 4K has no increased noise, no crop, is great, and has IBIS.

The FX30 is great. A perfect camera for me.

Originally bought it to use alongside my FS7M2. Now, if the job doesn't require the bigger camera, I'll just use the FX30. The FX30 is so much lighter and image is also better. The pricing is great too. Much more affordable than the FX3. Super 35 is not an issue for me because I'm too poor to switch to all full frame lenses.

But if you want a hybrid, keep in mind it doesn't have mechanical shutter. Still very decent for taking some snapshots. Also 4K 120P has big crop. If you film a lot of slow motion, get the A7S3 or the FX3 instead.