Fx30

SRV1981

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Because the FX30 has greater appeal to professionals? As it is the perfect camera to shoot as a small additional camera alongside a FS7/F5/F55/FX6/FX9/VENICE (and there are very few shooters of these cameras on this forum, as a percentage of the whole). 

Most Alpha Sony shooters are FF at this point. Sony kind of abandoned APS-C even on the FX line. Its only now making a return mainly thanks to FX30 and some new APS-C lenses. But with speed boosters its actually kinda more versatile than FX3/A7S3 which cannot shoot Super35 crop modes due to 12MP sensor. 

No EVF and no mechanical shutter does mean its not a great hybrid and Sony for some silly reason doesn't give FX3/30 shutter angle or WFM. And no DCI options either. Still as Ironfilm says its the ideal side-kick to a FS/FX camera (has TC) and a great compact video option for the Sony ecosystem. 

I'd have already bought one if it wasn't for XH2S. Stacked sensor, 6K Opengate & ProRes is just so hard to overlook. Plus with EVF and solid stills performance. It ticks so many boxes. But the Fuji look is an acquired taste and won't play friendly with most production houses. Its pretty much relegated to indie or standalone shooting. Resolve doesn't even support F-Log2 yet for an ACES workflow. And yet despite all those rational reasons to avoid Fuji and stick with Sony, I'm still VERY tempted by XH2S.

3 hours ago, bjohn said:

Last time I checked there were two pretty active discussion threads devoted to the FX30 on this forum.

My apology then, I didn’t see and will find it to engage! Thanks 🙏 

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Because the FX30 has greater appeal to professionals? As it is the perfect camera to shoot as a small additional camera alongside a FS7/F5/F55/FX6/FX9/VENICE (and there are very few shooters of these cameras on this forum, as a percentage of the whole). 

Understood. I’m wondering if it could be good for non-pros as an A-Cam if photos aren’t a factor. 

3 hours ago, MrSMW said:

As above, several threads about the FX30 but also though it can take stills, it’s a bit more video-orientated compared with those others which are arguably a bit more ‘hybrid’.

Agreed. So more folks here prefer hybrid ? 

1 hour ago, Django said:

Most Alpha Sony shooters are FF at this point. Sony kind of abandoned APS-C even on the FX line. Its only now making a return mainly thanks to FX30 and some new APS-C lenses. But with speed boosters its actually kinda more versatile than FX3/A7S3 which cannot shoot Super35 crop modes due to 12MP sensor. 

No EVF and no mechanical shutter does mean its not a great hybrid and Sony for some silly reason doesn't give FX3/30 shutter angle or WFM. And no DCI options either. Still as Ironfilm says its the ideal side-kick to a FS/FX camera (has TC) and a great compact video option for the Sony ecosystem. 

I'd have already bought one if it wasn't for XH2S. Stacked sensor, 6K Opengate & ProRes is just so hard to overlook. Plus with EVF and solid stills performance. It ticks so many boxes. But the Fuji look is an acquired taste and won't play friendly with most production houses. Its pretty much relegated to indie or standalone shooting. Resolve doesn't even support F-Log2 yet for an ACES workflow. And yet despite all those rational reasons to avoid Fuji and stick with Sony, I'm still VERY tempted by XH2S.

Agree on acquired look. Not sure if the LUTs or what, but the fx30/3 footage appeals to me more on YT than the xh2s footage or even S5II. 

39 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

Understood. I’m wondering if it could be good for non-pros as an A-Cam if photos aren’t a factor. 

It'd be fine as an a-cam for a lot of pros too. 

The biggest knock I have towards the FX3 and the FX30 is that they are supposed to be part of the cine line, but they lack most of the cine features. But still, the FX30 is a more than capable a-cam for a lot of professional work. Maybe not HIGH HIGH end work, but still.

2 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

So more folks here prefer hybrid ?

No idea, but would that matter?

”In a recent poll, 89% said they preferred Brand A”.

Doesn’t make the 11% who chose Brand B ‘wrong’.

Personally, I’d be more than happy using FX30’s for all my video needs. And almost certainly would be right now if Panasonic had not gone PDAF.

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

they are supposed to be part of the cine line, but they lack most of the cine features.

And that is the part that makes them ‘sub-pro’ in one sense as not having DCI 4K or waveform or shutter angle does not = dealbreaker, at least not in my book, but might a serious filmmaker.

3 hours ago, MrSMW said:

No idea, but would that matter?

”In a recent poll, 89% said they preferred Brand A”.

Doesn’t make the 11% who chose Brand B ‘wrong’.

Personally, I’d be more than happy using FX30’s for all my video needs. And almost certainly would be right now if Panasonic had not gone PDAF.

And that is the part that makes them ‘sub-pro’ in one sense as not having DCI 4K or waveform or shutter angle does not = dealbreaker, at least not in my book, but might a serious filmmaker.

What’s bringing you to Panasonic over Sony here? Image? 

6 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

If you don't need to ever work in a professional setting or with other shooters / productions, then I'd be giving serious consideration as well to: P4K, P6K Pro, Z Cam E2-M4, Z Cam E2-S6, Fujfilm X-H2S, Panasonic S5mk2

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

If you don't need to ever work in a professional setting or with other shooters / productions, then I'd be giving serious consideration as well to: P4K, P6K Pro, Z Cam E2-M4, Z Cam E2-S6, Fujfilm X-H2S, Panasonic S5mk2

How would you wade through deciding on that many cameras?

5 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

Decide what you NEED and then go from there. What sensor size would be you satisfied with? Do you need stabilization? Do you want a bunch of codec options? Is autofocus important? Low light? All those cameras have their strengths and weaknesses. It's all about finding the one that checks the most boxes for your budget. 

1 hour ago, SRV1981 said:

Eh, it's not that many at all!

And adding in even a few criteria will quickly narrow it down. 

Consider just adding any one of these criteria:

Want a mirrorless mount? That eliminates the P6K. 

What any type of photo capability? That eliminates 2/3rds of them. (same conclusion if you make IBIS a criteria)

Want NDs? That eliminates all but the P6K Pro. 

26 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

What about when you’re comparing DR, color, log profiles?

DR is pretty simple. Check CineD or Gerald Undone. Most cameras have dynamic range results between those two sources. For Color I usually rely on a lot of different sources from youtube, forums(including this one), people I know, colorists opinions, and just my own perception from reviewing footage.

I think the FX30 is kind of ignored on here because it is a boring camera. It doesn't push past any boundaries. It was also very late incoming. An APSC Sony camera that could do 10 bit and 4k 120p was rumored for a long time. The XH2S has much more interesting capabilities and specs.

That said the Sony FX30 is very capable and does what it does well. I personally think the IQ looks and feels better than the FX3. It just isn't a super exciting release.

9 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

What’s bringing you to Panasonic over Sony here? Image? 

A couple of years back I would have said image, but Sony have upped their game and in recent years and I’d say it is now pretty much a non-issue now.

Image as a brand? Lumix have much less of one with the great unwashed so that is a positive in my book. People is thick and so easily led…

Used to be that Sony ergos were trash but they have upped their game there also.

I prefer to back the underdog in principal … but prepared to chuck my principles out of the window if the other option is quantifiable better and worth the cost.

On 3/23/2023 at 2:29 AM, SRV1981 said:

Curious, why do you think this camera isn’t mentioned frequently alongside xh2s and others for video? Seems quiet on the forum. 

How so. Many posts here write about it. Give it a read. I come to the impression, that within the same threads you ask the same questions again once in a while, though some of them have already been answered in posts of that very thread. 🙂  The FX3, FX30, whatsoever discussion has been a pretty vivid one on this forum.

17 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

How so. Many posts here write about it. Give it a read. I come to the impression, that within the same threads you ask the same questions again once in a while, though some of them have already been answered in posts of that very thread. 🙂  The FX3, FX30, whatsoever discussion has been a pretty vivid one on this forum.

You repeat the same passive aggressive lines and I respond with the same refrain:  this is a forum, im trying to have a conversation about a topic that interests me.  I’m not always buying cameras but enjoy the process and chatting about it.  Do not respond or read these posts 🙂

I don´t think you wouldn´t. Read and respond as you like. This is a forum after all. Having a conversation is good. I don´t repeat lines but I get repeatedly the impression that some of your questions even within the same thread have been answered. But respond and read as you wish 🙂