Now it is a surprise - DPReview is closing

Marcio Kabke Pinheiro

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

https://petapixel.com/2023/03/21/chris-niccolls-and-jordan-drake-join-petapixel-to-lead-its-youtube-channel/

Why can't they be more honest and upfront.

DPReview TV is not closing then is it? It's getting a new logo.

If I were them I would have gone indie. I don't know why they feel they have to be freelancers for a .com blog

Let's face it, YouTube is bigger than Petapixel isn't it?

6 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

https://petapixel.com/2023/03/21/chris-niccolls-and-jordan-drake-join-petapixel-to-lead-its-youtube-channel/

Why can't they be more honest and upfront.

DPReview TV is not closing then is it? It's getting a new logo.

If I were them I would have gone indie. I don't know why they feel they have to be freelancers for a .com blog

Let's face it, YouTube is bigger than Petapixel isn't it?

I'm actually surprised that they didn't go their own way too, though they might feel more financially secure to be on the payroll somewhere. The big difference between them and the rest of the YouTubers out there is that they're older and have families, so being on payroll somewhere might be more appealing. Probably provides more stability than having to rely on YouTube ad revenue that can really fluctuate. 

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

After all it feeds Amazon.com with thousands upon thousands of sales leads and affiliate links from Google and social media.

Perhaps at one time, when they bought it, the site might have had some relevance in bringing sales to Amazon. It was still the glorious period of forums and blogs.

But now all the traffic comes from influencers and fu@@ing youtubers with affiliate schemes. It's much cheaper and that's how it all runs now.

The shameful thing is that the site is really part of the global internet culture and it doesn't make sense to shut it down in a month. They probably already have a buyer. At least I hope so.  Chris and Jordan can do the same anywhere and with anyone but the mountain of info accumulated over the years on the site has enormous cultural value. 

• Administrators

The more I think about all this the angrier I get at the current staff there.

Nearly all scurrying off the deck of the ship like DPReview is nothing but fit for the bin.

If they had stuck with the site for longer than a few months it could encourage the sale to a new owner.

Instead they jumped like rats off the deck and have nearly all got new jobs already.

Meanwhile we're left with an empty shell of a website pending deletion.

It is an absolute disgrace and a total disregard of the global camera community.

7 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The more I think about all this the angrier I get at the current staff there.

Nearly all scurrying off the deck of the ship like DPReview is nothing but fit for the bin.

If they had stuck with the site for longer than a few months it could encourage the sale to a new owner.

Instead they jumped like rats off the deck and have nearly all got new jobs already.

Meanwhile we're left with an empty shell of a website pending deletion.

It is an absolute disgrace and a total disregard of the global camera community.

It makes me think they know something that we don't. There's a story behind all of this, there has to be. All this has occurred too rapidly for there not to be.

• Administrators

Amazon told them in January, some left the very next week and got a new job.

During these last 3 months, it appears absolutely nobody in charge has made an effort to save the site or kick up a fuss, let alone sell what is a very valuable asset for certain other companies.

It's ridiculous that Amazon isn't considering a sale.

Jeff must be a bigger loser than even I imagine him to be.

Although not quite as big an idiot as that guy who wasted $44bn on Twitter, the likes of which can't seem to find even .00001% of that amount to preserve 25 years of photographic gear culture.

1 hour ago, Davide DB said:

Perhaps at one time, when they bought it, the site might have had some relevance in bringing sales to Amazon. It was still the glorious period of forums and blogs.

But now all the traffic comes from influencers and fu@@ing youtubers with affiliate schemes. It's much cheaper and that's how it all runs now.

The shameful thing is that the site is really part of the global internet culture and it doesn't make sense to shut it down in a month. They probably already have a buyer. At least I hope so.  Chris and Jordan can do the same anywhere and with anyone but the mountain of info accumulated over the years on the site has enormous cultural value. 

These are times where people use Camera Conspiracies as a serious site to get technical information...(no joke, each day I see more people using him as a tech reference)

I noticed a significant drop in user engagement in the forums. Maybe the site's real traffic numbers are not as high as we think it is. Of course its still higher than other photography related websites.

Since January they didn't even bother to cover the news of firmware updates. It doesn't take too much effort to write an article that Z5 got a new firmware update that adds eye AF in video!

14 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I know everyone wasn't a fan, but one less camera media outlet is not good. Such are the risks when you sell your site to a larger company that only cares about the bottom line, I guess. Not good news for the community as a whole, and really unfortunate for all those who are losing their jobs.

Amazon purchased dpreview 16yrs ago!!

I think dpreview had a good run, lasted far longer than any of the naysayers back then would have predicted. 

14 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

I imagine in the future, when these words are also gone, I'll be telling my kids "once upon a time there were internet boards and forums".

I was chatting with the gal I'm dating tonight and I mentioned Everquest and she just had this totally blank look, that was an "oh sh*t I'm old" moment for me. 

It's really short sighted. Fashion goes back and forth between YouTube and written word I think.

We may be at peak YouTube, but I am also quite sick of huge sponsor midrolls, constant YouTube-fashion verbal ticks like "I don't love X feature" and "this is gonna be your shutter, this is gonna be thee battery door, this is gonna be the sensor, gonna be gonna be", and of Google answering my questions with a link to a massive video full of "WHAT IS UP GUYS SMASH A LIKE BUTTON AND BANG THE BELL" instead of one sentence that answers my f-ing question.

There's seems to be a baby/bathwater problem these days as there alayws has been.

Remember when manual focus photography lenses were worth very little? Remember when people gave away vintage audio equipment cos all the new digital stuff was "better"? Dumping stuff because something new exists has a habit of leading to regret.

Imagine killing off the non-AI written word at this point in time :S

23 minutes ago, jgharding said:

one sentence that answers my f-ing question

Exactly! And sometimes you wouldn't even need to open the link. The answer is in the search result summary. If it's a video, even a short one, you have to click past so much irrelevance from someone who's in love with the smell of their own farts before finally finding the answer (if it's even correct in the first place).

Honestly, it's getting harder and harder. I was reading something a while back on Reddit where someone said they usually skip to the second page of search results as the first is just trash!

44 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

Exactly! And sometimes you wouldn't even need to open the link. The answer is in the search result summary. If it's a video, even a short one, you have to click past so much irrelevance from someone who's in love with the smell of their own farts before finally finding the answer (if it's even correct in the first place).

Honestly, it's getting harder and harder. I was reading something a while back on Reddit where someone said they usually skip to the second page of search results as the first is just trash!

I wholeheartedly agree. Google used to have a specific button to just show forum results and I was gutted when they removed it.