If you had 1000$ what would you buy?

Daniel Acuña

Good summary Matt :)

@jase: Theres actually two methods of manual focus with that lens. One is to pull the ring back, which reveals a distance marker. In this mode, the ring stops at either end of the scale, so you know when you're hitting max or min focus. Only issue is if you rotate the ring too slowly, the focus will "pop" rather than transition like a normal manual lens. The other mode is if you change the camera's AF/MF switch to MF, the ring will change the lens' focus like a normal lens but theres no distance markers or stops at each end to help guide you.

@Daniel Since they're one inch sensor cameras, the DR and noise performance won't be as good (I owned an RX100 last year for a few months) and you don't get as shallow DOF.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@jase: Theres actually two methods of manual focus with that lens. One is to pull the ring back, which reveals a distance marker. In this mode, the ring stops at either end of the scale, so you know when you're hitting max or min focus. Only issue is if you rotate the ring too slowly, the focus will "pop" rather than transition like a normal manual lens. The other mode is if you change the camera's AF/MF switch to MF, the ring will change the lens' focus like a normal lens but theres no distance markers or stops at each end to help guide you.

I know that behaviour - I once had the Olympus 12mm f2.0 which works about the same. However, as much as i like the scale, i dislike this "pop" effect since changing the focus smoothly is not possible... A lens like those from Olympus with smooth focusing would be my wet dream.

Thanks everyone for the replies, a special thanks to you Matt for laying out the pros and cons so well. Thanks for letting me piggyback on your thread Daniel!

They have been EXTREMELY helpful. Honestly, though, I think that I am going to end up with the BPMCC based upon you all's critique and how it has a very filmic image. The one big regret I see myself having is definitely the battery life, though.

But before I press the purchase button on Amazon...I am still extremely in love with the a7s, so, I hope to own a future iteration once I get some good experience under my belt. From what I can tell based on their specs, do the a6000 and the a7s share the same mounting system? And if so, does that mean buying natives on the a6k could be used down the road for the a7s and eventual a7s(2) to come?

Thanks everyone for the replies, a special thanks to you Matt for laying out the pros and cons so well. Thanks for letting me piggyback on your thread Daniel!

They have been EXTREMELY helpful. Honestly, though, I think that I am going to end up with the BPMCC based upon you all's critique and how it has a very filmic image. The one big regret I see myself having is definitely the battery life, though.

But before I press the purchase button on Amazon...I am still extremely in love with the a7s, so, I hope to own a future iteration once I get some good experience under my belt. From what I can tell based on their specs, do the a6000 and the a7s share the same mounting system? And if so, does that mean buying natives on the a6k could be used down the road for the a7s and eventual a7s(2) to come?

Battery life on the BMPCC is an inconvenience, not a deal breaker unless you are shooting interviews or events (this isn't really the camera for event stuff anyway). Just buy 3-6 extra aftermarket batteries. They are cheap (about $15 each) and tiny, so you can always have a few in your pocket. I usually find 1-2 batteries enough to get me through filling one 64 GB card when shooting in Prores HQ.

I would like to have the sensor size of the A6000, but i prefer the colors of the Gx7. So I think I will go with the Gx7 and buy a Metabones speedbooster, problem is that it is to expensive so I think I would go for the cheaper version : Mitakon. I still don't know what version of it I will buy or even what lens.

So what do you guys think? Is it a good or bad idea? Should I wait and save for a Metabones speedbooster? 

I would like to have the sensor size of the A6000, but i prefer the colors of the Gx7. So I think I will go with the Gx7 and buy a Metabones speedbooster, problem is that it is to expensive so I think I would go for the cheaper version : Mitakon. I still don't know what version of it I will buy or even what lens.

So what do you guys think? Is it a good or bad idea? Should I wait and save for a Metabones speedbooster? 

If you don't have the cash for the MB speedbooster go for one of the cheaper ones, they really aren't that far off & I think that some of the RJ ones are on v2.

Andy uses the Mitakon which works really well for him. Only thing is that this adapter does not have aperture control, so you cant use modern Nikon lenses with it. I used to have the Camdiox/RJ which works alright but have since upgraded to the Metabones

So I would have to buy full manual lenses right? Which one would you buy? The Mitakon Canon EF lens to MFT or the Nikon one?

if you buy a Canon EF- Micro 4/3 Mitakon Lens Turbo you can use alot of lenses of it , Canon EF , Nikon , Pentax, M42 screw thread , Olymous , etc etc etc by using cheap metal adaptor off ebay

if you buy Nikon -micro 4/3 Lens Turbo - you are stuck with just Nikon lenses due to the flange focal distance of Nikon lenses

I have both the Nikon and the Canon EF Lens Turbos as I shoot with 2 camera most of the time , and I use alot of Nikon Zoom lenses

The Lens Turbo is very good - I highly recomend it

I'm going to go out and check on the 100 this morning @Bic Camera.

I'm not entirely enamored with the camera being a fixed lens and all, but I've been looking to sell some of my old redband canon glass, and that would give me enough to buy the LX.

For what I do, small fits my style and it's cheap, so why not? I don't expect it to be perfect and won't worry too much about a bit of
moiré in a 4k image.

For what it's worth, I'm shooting a doc on a Gx7 and a Gm1 while here in Japan, so I'm used to working with smaller consumer gear; prefer it, actually.

So I finally made a list of what I might buy (I hope it won't change)

So I am planning on buying a GX7 with a Mitakon Canon EF Lens to Micro Four Thirds Camera Lens Turbo Adapter Mark I and a Nikon 28mm f2.8 AIS

So the only concerns I have now is how good is the Mitakon lens turbo? are there any other options (apart from Metabones), I heard of th RJ lens turbo but I don't know if it is better, or should I take an other one with a different mount (Nikon mount)?

I know that I have to buy an adapter for the lens (Nikon F to Canon EOS Camera), I just hope it won't create any problem. 

So what do you think?

Thank you