If you had 1000$ what would you buy?

Daniel Acuña

I've been struggling to find a camera and lenses to buy, as you might see in some of my other posts. I'am not an newbie because I've been using dslr cameras for a while now but never owned my own camera, so i have been looking to all the options I have, but I still can't make a decision. I really want the best thing possible, I know I shouldn't be too picky and I should just buy any camera and start shooting with it. So I turn to you, who will have a more logical and rational answer to my question. If you had around a 1000$ what would you buy? (Camera and lens)

Thank you

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

g6 , rj speedbooster, plus dumb adapter  and canon fd lenses as they are very very good and cheap

24, 28, 35, 50mm

or  get a canon fd 35-70mm f4 instead of primes its a steller zoom and cheap

on speedbooster its a 25-50 f2.8 very very sharp with practically zero distortion !! very good glass in this lens

then you can use lenses on dumb adapter and get one lot of focal lengths then use them on speedbooster and get another set of focal lengths

I feel like I'm on a similar boat to Daniel, although I probably have less experience behind a camera than he.

And as much as I love you guys, the information that I've combed through has made me even more conflicted! Mainly there seems to me to be these differing pulls to the Sony A6000, the Panasonic GX7 and the G6, the Nikon D5300, BMPCC, and even a GH-3. 

Not to steal thunder from Daniel, but if you all were in a similar boat, with about $1500 to budget towards some camera and lens, would you still be pulled towards options A and B?

Is the G6 the same sensor as the GH4, without the 4K of course?

What is the difference between the G6 and the GX7?

Panasonic LX100 is a very interesting option but it is a fixed lens and I don't think the camera is even out yet, is it?

G6 is the sensor from the GH2, but the codec/processor are improved over the GH2 (with peaking and 1080 60p added). The G6 is arguably the most video-orientated Panasonic camera after the GH4 and GH3, because sit has a mic input (GX7 does not), great EVF, good form factor for handheld shooting and using larger lenses with.

The GX7 is the same sensor as the GH4 (as is the GM1, GM5 and LX100). It is a better sensor than the one in the G6, but the GX7 hasn't been made to be as video orientated as the G6. Some people find this a problem, some don't seem to find it too bad.

My opinion is that the G6 is the most solid all-round video camera in this price range, but it all depends on your needs and uses. The GH3 is very cheap now too, and offers a few more features but not peaking. IMO the difference in image quality isn't huge so if you are trying to keep price down the only major reason to go for the GH3 over the G6 is if you value a headphone jack over peaking ...

The GM1 is extremely cheap now, and has the GH4 sensor (not 4k). I couldn't cope without the EVF and would find the tiny body and no mic port a deal breaker though. But it's useable.

It all depends what your priorities are ...

I don't know about colour reproduction, but in terms of noise and dynamic range for stills and video I found the G6 and GH3 to be noticeably inferior to the GX7. I haven't got a GH4 but I've heard it uses the same sensor as the GX7. The GX7 also handles the best imo, except for when using large lenses (500g+). Also I wish it had a 50mbps codec.

If I had $1000 or £700 now I would buy the LX100 to accompany my GX7. If I was starting from scratch... I don't know really. 

I've shot on two G6's since they first come out 18 months ago and as you all know Im a big fan of this camera

I just got a GX7 last month and it is a 15/20% better image than the G6.

Much much cleaner and clearer image with alot LESS noise , it noiticebale especially at night shooting in streets

GX7 is without a doubt the best Panasonic 1080p camera they have made so far .

The EVF is very good and nicley on the left side and swivels which is great on my shoulder rigs

Also GX7 has a much sturdier metal lens mount than the g6 - I get body flex on the G6 with the big Nikon 'Bourne ' lenses

THE Gx7 is more stable for these big lenses on a rig.

The menus and functions are 95% the same as the G6 - they have added a few extra features like 2 settings on peaking for how strong it is.

The main thing is its a better newer sensor and this shows in the image - I was stunned at how good it is!!!

this is now my main 'A' camera for night time shooting .

I used the Olympus 17mm f1.8 almost exclusively for the first 8 months of owning the camera. Actually one of the reasons I bought into MFT was so I could use that lens. Great lens with nice photography style manual focus ring rather than most other MFT lenses which dont have a distance indicator or stops at either end of the scale. I also sometimes used a 55mm f1.7 lens from my film camera.

I used the Olympus 17mm f1.8 almost exclusively for the first 8 months of owning the camera. Actually one of the reasons I bought into MFT was so I could use that lens. Great lens with nice photography style manual focus ring rather than most other MFT lenses which dont have a distance indicator or stops at either end of the scale. 

Correct me if i am wrong, but this lens does still focus by wire, right? I did not find any lens up until now where i liked focus by wire. Thats the reason why I am only using my Voigtländer 25mm although i would prefer something purely manual with the same FOV but smaller lens, since i only do run&gun.

The only option i see is the Leica M summicron 28, which costs a fortune...

Daniel, léete esto antes...

http://www.quesabesde.com/noticias/panasonic-fz1000-sony-rx10-comparativa_12381

I believe that a 1000$ cap would make me turn to bridge cameras: the Sony RX10 and the Panasonic FZ1000. They are the most complete all-around package for both video and stills for under a grand. Which one? a matter of taste I suppose.

Personally, I would take the sony because it has both mic input and headphone jack, nice XAVC-S codec, slightly better build quality, built-in ND, clickless aperture ring and a constant aperture of 2.8.

The Panny gives you 4K video, a longer focal range and an articulated screen, which I guees could be more important for others.

I feel like I'm on a similar boat to Daniel, although I probably have less experience behind a camera than he.

And as much as I love you guys, the information that I've combed through has made me even more conflicted! Mainly there seems to me to be these differing pulls to the Sony A6000, the Panasonic GX7 and the G6, the Nikon D5300, BMPCC, and even a GH-3. 

Not to steal thunder from Daniel, but if you all were in a similar boat, with about $1500 to budget towards some camera and lens, would you still be pulled towards options A and B?

The thing is that the reason the cameras you've listed get talked about a lot is because they're ALL good video cameras. Now that the GH4, A7S and Blackmagic cameras are here, the cameras you've named (not including the BMPCC) are looking increasingly similar in quality. They simply have different strengths and weaknesses. There isn't one that is THE best. You have to decide which one YOU like best and/or which one fits your needs best. 

I've had the G6 and D5300 for a year now, and recently got a BMPCC. I've used a GX7 a couple of times but only briefly, but I am familiar with the image. Same with the GH3. This is my opinion of the following as video cameras:

D5300

Pros: Beautiful image when using long and/or fast lenses, and in low/ambient light. Colours are VERY appealing. Contrary to EOSHD review I recommend shooting with a Neutral or Flaat profile to grade in post, as colours can be artificial in standard modes and dynamic range can be very good with Flaat_11. The codec is fairly strong so banding is rarely an issue.

Cons: Just a bit too soft for wide, detailed shots or deep DOF. Not the easiest camera to use for video.

G6

Pros: Beautifuly detailed image in both wide and long shots with deep or shallow DOF. Colours in good light conditions are very nice and can be graded to a very decent level. It's a PLEASURE to shoot video with (I only wish it and a headphone jack). EVF, Peaking, good tilt LCD, form factor, mic jack, etc all make it a viable camcorder. AVCHD 24p has the best image, MP4 50/60p (1080) is indistinguishable without close/critical inspection. With a speed booster it is a S35 camera with stuff the C100 doesn't have (decent EVF, 60p) and an image that isn't worlds away from it at for about 1/12th of the cost.

Cons: Not so great in low/poor light (it excels in good sunlight), though it's ok and noticeably better than the GH2. Colours are nice but can get muddy quickly in poor light. Dynamic range is mediocre. No headphone jack.

BMPCC

Pros: The image from the BMPCC really is in another league to the other cameras here. I love it. It frustrates me that there is so much low contrast 'film effect' stuff on Vimeo etc shot with the Pocket and graded to hipster death with film convert or OTT LUTs. It is capable of such a sharp, punchy, saturated and contrasty image that is so much more pleasing than any 8-bit camera.

Cons: It's not an easy camera to use (there are a lot of things I DO like about the form factor and usage though, and firmware updates have added a lot of good stuff). Why bury ISO, WB and shutter angle so deep in the menu? And it DOES need a rig, VF, and very wide, fast lenses or speed booster. Moire is a problem sometimes too - it can be unpleasant.

GX7

I haven't used this camera enough to give an informed opinion, but from what Seb and Andy are saying it is fine to shoot with (I didn't like the EVF when I tried it) and if you don't need an external mic then you don't have much advantages in usability with a G6. The image is definitely better - this is obvious from any videos you watch. I think of it as somewhere between the G6 and D5300 - colour science and low light are noticeably improved.

GH3

Barely used it so can't really comment. A lot of amazing stuff has been shot on the GH3, but I can't see a compelling reason to spend the extra money on it now. The G6 has peaking, which really is a huge feature if you want to use manual glass. The GX7 has a superior image. And the GH4 has made it look extremely dated. On the plus side it has a headphone jack and a more pro-level body.

A6000

Haven't used this at all but I have ruled this camera out based on image problems alone. It's perhaps easier to use than the D5300 but if it really does share the same sensor Sony have really messed up. It has quite severe moire issues and is not great in low light. It's not as sharp as the Panasonics, the codec seems quite weak and I personally am not keen on the colours it produces. Unless you desperately want a native APSC sensor with an EVF at a low price (Sony is your only option really) I can't see any reason to go with this. I may be biased though, as I never seem to like Sony's image quality - even the A7S.

My recommendations (i.e. my opinion):

GX7 scores the most overall points here I think. If you don't need an external mic go for it.

The G6 is still a superb camera and a joy to shoot video with, but the image has some (small) limitations in comparison to the GX7. Of my 3 cameras it's the one I would keep if I was doing commercial or documentary work and could only have one. Definitely. It's very reliable and has great video features.

The BMPCC is by far the best video camera here in terms of image. If I was just doing personal/art stuff it is the camera of mine I would keep if I could only have one. But it isn't really suitable as a shot-grabber/r&g workhorse.

The D5300 has a special image and if I'm shooting indoors or want a very 'filmic' shallow DOF look it is the camera I go for. I love it. But it is not made for shooting video with AT ALL.

For the A6000, although I've seen some really nice stuff shot with it, I think it's image quality is the least versatile (i.e. worst) here. My recommendation is to stay away from it.

g6 is great over all camera and now very cheap on ebay

g6 and gx7 in daylight outside good exposure there is not much in it image wise both are similar

at night gx7 wins hands down much cleaner and less noise - I dont go above 800 iso at night and I shoot f2 - I looks great on the gx7

g6 EVF with peaking is superb - its like you are looking thru a glass view finder its that clear ...no pixels visable - I love it!

GX7 evf is just as sharp - BUT has a crushed blacks and saturated look that is not accurate and looks nothing like the rear sceeen on the camera ....rear screen is good and accurate - so use that to check colours - I just use the EVF to frame the image  not to check any colours or dark/ light infomation !!!

Thank you so much for your answers!

I am interested to know how the Sony RX10 and the Panasonic FZ1000 compares in terms of video quality to the Gx7 for example. So far the videos I've watched don't look very good but I know it might be because of the compression.

If they are not as good as the Gx7, I think I'll go with it. One thing I would like to have is a hdmi out to have a external monitor, but I can live without it I guess.

gx7 has wifi to a iphone or tablet so you can have a wire free external monitor - its very useful to have

I find the WiFi connection between my GM1 and iPad to be so painfully slow that it is unusable.  Do you get a rapid response on the tablet to aperture and focussing changes, Andy?

Maybe there is something wrong with either my GM1 or iPad.